U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 7,502 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking into moving from the Fairfax County section of Falls Church to the City of Falls Church. My reasons are that the homes seem more affordable (I currently rent but would like to buy something), and I love the fact that the schools are so less populated than Fairfax County ones (and have far more impressive statistics regarding incidents of crime, etc.). However, I have two questions. My children do not like the idea of being in middle school in 5th grade and in high school in 8th (they are currently in 4th and 5th grades; Fairfax County does middle school at 7th grade and high school at 9th). I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how this has been working out (I think this was only started a few years ago). While I'm getting used to the idea of it, I cannot find anything whatsover on the Internet about this (I guess it's pretty rare, especially 8th graders going to high school). Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of any townhouse complexes in the City of Falls Church. I'm looking for a cute, safe place with a nice amount of space but minimal maintenance (I'm a working, single mom so my time for this is limited; I'd rather be spending time with my children in my free time!). Thank you so very, very much for any input you can provide me!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,093,160 times
What is your budget?

You can get a 2/3BR TH for under $400k in the city limits, but I don't know how much TLC they might need.

As for the schools, do your kids like where they're at now? Do you?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

1,163 posts, read 906,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mominnva View Post
Hi,

I am looking into moving from the Fairfax County section of Falls Church to the City of Falls Church. My reasons are that the homes seem more affordable (I currently rent but would like to buy something), and I love the fact that the schools are so less populated than Fairfax County ones (and have far more impressive statistics regarding incidents of crime, etc.). However, I have two questions. My children do not like the idea of being in middle school in 5th grade and in high school in 8th (they are currently in 4th and 5th grades; Fairfax County does middle school at 7th grade and high school at 9th). I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how this has been working out (I think this was only started a few years ago). While I'm getting used to the idea of it, I cannot find anything whatsover on the Internet about this (I guess it's pretty rare, especially 8th graders going to high school). Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of any townhouse complexes in the City of Falls Church. I'm looking for a cute, safe place with a nice amount of space but minimal maintenance (I'm a working, single mom so my time for this is limited; I'd rather be spending time with my children in my free time!). Thank you so very, very much for any input you can provide me!!!!!!
You've found that the homes in Falls Church City are more affordable than unincorporated section of Falls Church in Fairfax County? I've always found the opposite, FC City is extremely expensive. It's a great area though, if you can swing the price. There's a big townhouse complex called Winter Hill in FC City. You can find 3 BR townhomes under 400k but they are literally shoeboxes. Like 950 sq. feet. They have larger models but those run high 400s. I'm not sure what your budget is but there are plenty of townhomes scattered throughout the city from 500k & up.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 7,502 times
Default Response

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I would like to find something for around $450,000/$475,000. As for my children's current schools, my son loves the McLean schools (which they're in now), and he is so into his friends, so he really would prefer we stay in this immediate area. My daughter is doing extremely well academically but she is more than happy to more someplace new (she'd rather have a bigger house and likes the opportunitiy of making new friends elsewhere; if she had it her way, we'd all move to Loudoun County, where the homes are huge, beautiful and so affordable!). The problem with where we live is the prices of townhouses are ridiculously high, and the rents have skyrocketed, making it ridiculous to rent another place (I forgot to mention that we have to move by August; our home is being placed for sale at a price far higher than I can afford). Thanks!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM

115 posts, read 277,635 times
There are townhouses right near the metro in a community I think called The Pavilion on Falls Reach drive. I think those are fairly affordable - however, they are not Falls Church City. If it were me though, I would rather stay with the schools my children have been in thus far considering that your son loves his school and friends.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,108,200 times
I think the Winter Hill complex is an acquired taste (it's kind of shag from the exterior, unless you like 1970s updates of properties built in the late 1940s, OK from the interior). However, there is a neighborhood of small older homes in Falls Church City called Falls Hill. There aren't any homes there currently listed under $475, but there are a few Cape Cods that have potential for $500K or less, so they might be worth a look. SFH, but probably no major yardwork required.

Given how small the FCC schools are, I don't think your kids should worry too much about the grade assignments if you end up there. Going to middle school as a 6th or 7th grader might be more intimidating in a school larger than Henderson.

For your budget, I expect that townhouses similar to what you're currently renting more likely will be found in other parts of 22043 (that feed into Shrevewood, not Haycock) or perhaps near the Vienna metro in Vienna or Oakton, rather than in the Haycock district. I'm assuming from your posts that's where you are now.

Last edited by JEB77; 02-02-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM

28 posts, read 30,832 times
I love the community of Winter Hill. Safe, incredibly walkable, nice community feel. As far as the schools- your 4th grader would be in 5th grade at Mary Ellen Henderson Middle School. But, by the time your both your kids get to 8th, the 8th grade will have moved back down to MEH middle school. By the summer of 2013 the middle school will have 6-8 and the high school will have 9-12. What I love about Falls Church City is that although you might be in less interior square footage, the kids have such a great, old fashioned community where they can walk to friends houses, walk to all the great stuff FCC has to offer, and really feel like they belong (there is no getting lost in the shuffle in FCC schools). Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM

19,178 posts, read 19,935,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think the Winter Hill complex is an acquired taste (it's kind of shag from the exterior, unless you like 1970s updates of properties built in the late 1940s, OK from the interior). However, there is a neighborhood of small older homes in Falls Church City called Falls Hill. There aren't any homes there currently listed under $475, but there are a few Cape Cods that have potential for $500K or less, so they might be worth a look. SFH, but probably no major yardwork required.
Winter Hill is inside the city limits, but Falls Hill (south side of Route-7 between Shreve and 66) is not. Nothing west of Shreve and Haycock is in the city, except a little tiny bit back near the WFC Metro station.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM

4,504 posts, read 5,108,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Winter Hill is inside the city limits, but Falls Hill (south side of Route-7 between Shreve and 66) is not. Nothing west of Shreve and Haycock is in the city, except a little tiny bit back near the WFC Metro station.
You're right - I meant to refer to a neighborhood of more affordable single-family homes inside the City limits called "Falls Park." Being more familiar with Falls Hill, the typing fingers took over. Falls Hill is a nice area, too, but it's outside the city limits and above the OP's stated budget.

Last edited by JEB77; 02-08-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM

19,178 posts, read 19,935,970 times
Yes, the whole area from Ellison Square through Brook Farm, Falls Park, and on to Virginia Forest has a lot to offer. And they are all at least mostly within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia