U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM

5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
One off-beat item that I thought of as a potential gift, and did an informal poll of some moms before posting it as a suggestion, would be to get a FlipFold Jr. from the Container Store. It's a folding board for the laundry, just like the full-size model, but designed for a child's clothing.
Yes! I will also include some Lysol and a note reading "Babies are filthy little beasts. Congratulations."

Haha.

No, that's a good suggestion; thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, here I was thinking that this was a scheming group of Machiavellian Moms who were in control of the street, and Carlingtonian was going to have issues like Larry vs. the Girl Scouts, for not complying with their decrees...
That must be from the new season. Oh, man, we're gonna have to get HBO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM

2,673 posts, read 4,525,727 times
LOL, Carlingtonian!

I think the thing that some people are reacting to most is being obliged for SIX weeks, rather than a one time contribution.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM

5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I think the thing that some people are reacting to most is being obliged for SIX weeks, rather than a one time contribution.
Ah! Maybe I was unclear. It's supposed to be each family contributing one meal, one time, enough to last for three nights. Collectively, if everyone e-mailed were to participate, it would cover the new parents for six weeks. One meal might sound easy, but when we get home, boiling pasta is as labor-intensive as we get.

Funny, the wife and I were laughing about what a Larry David episode about this would entail. We imagined Larry signing up to provide food, then going to his buddy Jeff's house and (when Jeff's incendiary, foul-mouthed wife is away) snaking some leftovers from the fridge to "re-gift" to the expectant parents. Jeff's wife finds out, confronts Larry, and bedlam ensues.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,346,980 times
Just because I don't think anybody's mentioned it yet, an actually good thing for when people come home from the hospital for any reason is something yummy from Edible Arrangements. All sorts of nice, healthy, refreshing, tasty fruit -- pineapple, melon, oranges, grapes, strawberries, bananas, etc. -- on individuial plastic sticks and bunched to look like a bouquet of flowers. You can get some pieces dipped in chocolate too if that "healthy" thing seemed scary. It's really delicious and will last several days even with everyone picking at it all the time. Runs about forty bucks. Call a day ahead for delivery.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM

11,386 posts, read 20,190,818 times
I hadn't commented previously but I can't understand why a meal has to last 3 nights? I do think the response of already having something in mind was the best. I wouldn't want: a basket of bagels/cream cheese (husband is diabetic, I don't like cream cheese, it's only a couple people, etc.). What's wrong w/just saying congrats when/if you see them walking w/the baby?

Different story if they were friends, one or the other was seriously ill and/or hospitalized - (been there, done that) - food and/or taking the person out, offering to run an errand, etc. is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,110,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Ah! Maybe I was unclear. It's supposed to be each family contributing one meal, one time, enough to last for three nights. Collectively, if everyone e-mailed were to participate, it would cover the new parents for six weeks. One meal might sound easy, but when we get home, boiling pasta is as labor-intensive as we get.

Funny, the wife and I were laughing about what a Larry David episode about this would entail. We imagined Larry signing up to provide food, then going to his buddy Jeff's house and (when Jeff's incendiary, foul-mouthed wife is away) snaking some leftovers from the fridge to "re-gift" to the expectant parents. Jeff's wife finds out, confronts Larry, and bedlam ensues.
My guess is the organizers probably realized that not everyone could (or would want to) cook for this lady but they didn't know who would be interested in doing so. If everyone does participate (unlikely), this family is set for 6 weeks straight. If only a few participate (more likely), they still have the first week or so covered.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-08-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 346,810 times
Why not suggest they just take up a donation for the money people would have spent making the meals, take the proceeds and get a bunch of gift cards to different places, then let the new parents choose what they want to eat and when. I personally would feel very uncomfortable knowing my neighbors had to take time out of there busy schedules to cook for me.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,661,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsmom View Post
Why not suggest they just take up a donation for the money people would have spent making the meals, take the proceeds and get a bunch of gift cards to different places, then let the new parents choose what they want to eat and when. I personally would feel very uncomfortable knowing my neighbors had to take time out of there busy schedules to cook for me.
But you wouldn't feel uncomfortable knowing your neighbors took money out of their wallet to give to you? Since when is having a baby a reason for charity donations?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times
I'm glad I lived in the neighborhood I did when my children were young. Many of us voluntarily cooked meals (or brought prepared ones) when someone had a new baby, and those of us who received meals from friends did so with great appreciation, no nit-picking and snobbery about their food not being good enough for us. Usually a nice neighbor or two organized the dates, and we said thanks for doing that and didn't label them control freaks. But then again, we were kind of normal moms who were kind of tired after giving birth and continually being awakened through the night -- not amazon superwomen who could get up the next day, go out to restaurants, and cook gourmet meals after walking three miles to the store in the snow uphill both ways .

Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 11,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
But you wouldn't feel uncomfortable knowing your neighbors took money out of their wallet to give to you? Since when is having a baby a reason for charity donations?
Since baby showers became popular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia