U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 20,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
While I'd agree that Arlington may be a better fit, if you really wanted to be in Fairfax, it would make sense for you to live in the Fair Oaks/Fairfax Corner area. I lived in apartments in that neighborhood for many years and could walk to a major mall (Fair Oaks), other shopping, Wegmans, etc. and it is in easy proximity to Route 66 and Route 50. There is a decent night life in that area but nothing like Arlington or DC - it has a much more suburban bent. A one-bedroom apt. in that neighborhood will cost under $2,000.

As for whether people are friendly...I really don't think people in NOVA are all that friendly in general, but that's a sweeping generalization. There are good people everywhere, sometimes you just have to look a little harder. Put it this way, since you make $200K, people will like you.
That is true, i make 200k now but honestly i have no idea how much i will make in Fairfax. I am hoping to make 400k a year within three years, and then i will move down south and live the good life. I know that may sound unreachable, but i am a big dreamer. But i don't see how the people will like me if i am making 200k plus. Isn't Fairfax County like the richest county in the nation, the average salary of the county is like over 100k per year.

But i really need to visit Arlington, i am going to Arlington this weekend to get a better feel for the area. So in the Fair Oaks area i could easily walk to the mall, and other stores. There is also a decent night life too, so there are some clubs right in the Fair Oaks area. If the one bedroom apartment cost under 2,000 i will definitely consider it, you need to save all the money you can in this recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 PM

3,766 posts, read 2,972,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith91 View Post
That is true, i make 200k now but honestly i have no idea how much i will make in Fairfax. I am hoping to make 400k a year within three years, and then i will move down south and live the good life. I know that may sound unreachable, but i am a big dreamer. But i don't see how the people will like me if i am making 200k plus. Isn't Fairfax County like the richest county in the nation, the average salary of the county is like over 100k per year.

But i really need to visit Arlington, i am going to Arlington this weekend to get a better feel for the area. So in the Fair Oaks area i could easily walk to the mall, and other stores. There is also a decent night life too, so there are some clubs right in the Fair Oaks area. If the one bedroom apartment cost under 2,000 i will definitely consider it, you need to save all the money you can in this recession.
I wouldn't say there are "clubs" in Fairfax, but there are popular bars.

Yes Fairfax County's median income is one of the highest in the country. In general, people in the area place a high value on income.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times
Quote:
But i don't see how the people will like me if i am making 200k plus. Isn't Fairfax County like the richest county in the nation, the average salary of the county is like over 100k per year.
How will people know how much you make? And why would you want to be friends with people who are going to base their friendship on your income?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM

11,368 posts, read 20,163,370 times
I don't understand why you are stressing income other than as to what you can afford - what on earth does that have to do w/friendship?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:50 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Stafford, Virginia and Howard County, Maryland
It seems as if you grew up close enough to Fairfax and Arlington Counties that it's surprising that you feel there might be that dramatic a difference in cost of living.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
How will people know how much you make? And why would you want to be friends with people who are going to base their friendship on your income?
I believe mrsmith91 was responding to CapChick's post in #18. For better or worse, telling a potential date that you make $200K, or displaying/describing obvious material possessions/experiences one might have at that income might interest some younger twentysomethings. This would probably be even more so in a bar than at a class.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
Fair Oaks Mall has some apartments and condos in the vicinity, but it's not as pedestrian friendly as Fairfax Corners, which is an outdoor mall of sorts, directly across I-66 from Fair Oaks Mall. The reason why Fair Oaks is not too pedestrian friendly is that it is encircled by a four-lane roadway with numerous entrances and exits. Recently, a stop sign and crosswalk were placed on the far side of the mall near Sears, that connects with some sort of sidewalk that connects to residential and commercial areas nearby, but it's not a place where I would go for a stroll.

Pentagon City in Arlington is much more pedestrian friendly, between Pentagon City, Pentagon Row, and Pentagon Centre, not to mention the Metro between Pentagon City and Pentagon Centre. The apartments nearby make for a pedestrian friendly community, though you would be paying higher rent than you would in the Fair Oaks area for a similar amount of space.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I wouldn't say there are "clubs" in Fairfax, but there are popular bars.

Yes Fairfax County's median income is one of the highest in the country. In general, people in the area place a high value on income.
I thought so because Fairfax, County is close to Washington DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well people can figure out your income based on where you stay, how you dress, and what kind of car you own. I am not saying that other people will judge me based on income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't understand why you are stressing income other than as to what you can afford - what on earth does that have to do w/friendship?
Well i assuming that most people who have money usually have friends with money, am i correct. I don't see many rich people that are friends with people who make a lot less than they do. I have dealt with the wealthy people before in my businesses, and they tend to be different than the average person.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It seems as if you grew up close enough to Fairfax and Arlington Counties that it's surprising that you feel there might be that dramatic a difference in cost of living.
I grew up close to the area but i actually never traveled inside the county, i went to Fairfax and Arlington off the interstate before. But i never really got to seen all the areas of Fairfax. I only stopped off to get gas, because i don't like traveling in a crowded place especially if i don't know where i am going. I just assumed the prices would be higher in Fairfax. Every article i read says Fairfax is one of the best places to live and that is one of the most expensive places to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I believe mrsmith91 was responding to CapChick's post in #18. For better or worse, telling a potential date that you make $200K, or displaying/describing obvious material possessions/experiences one might have at that income might interest some younger twentysomethings. This would probably be even more so in a bar than at a class.
Well that is another issue, a woman wants to date a man who is financially stable. Now i don't tell my dates how much i make, but i feel kinda embarrassed when they tell me they have dated some rich guys. One woman i dated, has dated a guy who made double of what i made. Now i don't know how much women my income would interest, but i assuming a lot. If you are talking about the women in there early 20's.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
All I can say is 22 years old, can afford 3k, wants to walk to shopping.... DON'T move to Fairfax.

If I worked from home, didn't know anyone in the area, I would move to Pentagon City. Arlington has great night life, but I think there is more going on in PC during the day than Arlington and from a walkability to shops, dining, rec fields, etc, I think PC has more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia