U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM

127 posts, read 271,759 times

Advertisements

From what I hear, Arlington? I desperately need foot traffic, singles over 30 and more chances to meet and commune with them, opportunities to grow my business (personal services--food/nutrition) and liveliness! Not knocking Fairfax at all. It's just that I'm a single, a very active woman who loves to walk, bike, go out and mingle, and this place is more for families.

I'll be looking for a share to start, working some from home, and will not be bringing a car. Not looking to recreate NYC, but that is where I spent the bulk of the last decade. Can you give me some insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,338,401 times
Arlington isn't bad, but where do you work and how much are you willing to spend a month? It's possible to have your job within walking distance if you don't share enough details.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Thank you. Cost isn't as much of a factor as a good neighborhood fit. It's more about getting it right location-wise. I am a writer and generally location independent but may take on some part-time outside work.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,354,799 times
Arlington is good but why not look in the District? A place like Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill, or even Georgetown would be a nice change of pace for you.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
I think I'd consider going all the way downtown as well. Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, Eastern Market. It's pricey in those areas, but so is the Ballston Corridor. You'd get that urban, active, something's always going on sort of feel there though, as opposed to that where'd everybody go feel. Still, I think you're going to run into the family thing in some degree pretty much everywhere these days.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 AM

298 posts, read 596,117 times
I lived in Dupont for 8 or 9 years (alas, I forget in my old age) and believe me, it is a perfect fit for you. It has gotten a lot more expensive since I was there, but you can always find something. Walk around and look for "apartment for rent" signs, don't rely on newspaper or Internet postings.

The other best option IMO is Eastern Market. Arlington has a much younger crowd than Dupont.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM

100 posts, read 145,021 times
Others can give you more complete advice, but if you're really active, maybe NW DC - closer to rock creek park and all - is best?

I think the district can't be beat for the single scene.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks everyone. Just noticed that all of you---SallyField, saganista, mrchanello, BoomBoxing, are steering me into the District and I've posted in the NoVa forum----HMMMM! Telling me something??? I've given some thought to parts of the District, and am still considering for sure, but lately have been thinking more along the lines of VA. Even Alexandria for the older scene. I've been in Old Town.

And I don't mean to say that I need something to be happening always, as anything more than where I am now is better. As for Arlington, I've no interest in that youngest most hot stretch of it. What of other parts? And on the money end, I guess I'd rather not spend all that I have, so a happy lively place on the lesser end of the expense list, in any of those areas, is best.

Last edited by 9times; 02-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: oh yeah

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,051,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
Thanks everyone. Just noticed that all of you---SallyField, saganista, mrchanello, BoomBoxing, are steering me into the District and I've posted in the NoVa forum----HMMMM! Telling me something??? I've given some thought to parts of the District, and am still considering for sure, but lately have been thinking more along the lines of VA. Even Alexandria for the older scene. I've been in Old Town.

And I don't mean to say that I need something to be happening always, as anything more than where I am now is better. As for Arlington, I've no interest in that youngest most hot stretch of it. What of other parts? And on the money end, I guess I'd rather not spend all that I have, so a happy lively place on the lesser end of the expense list, in any of those areas, is best.
Singles of all ages often take advantage of meetup groups and other organized social activities. It seems like you're looking for more a density of watering holes where you might be able to meet people (presumably) in your age range. It sounds like you've ruled out "Orange Line" Arlington but Pentagon City/Crystal City may work out a little better for you. Old Town Alexandria may be even better although don't be surprised to run into a lot of couples and families, particularly east of City Hall towards the waterfront.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
Well, the need for foot-traffic and singles over 30 has a sort of high-density edge to it. But if not the District or the Ballston Corridor and you've already got a picture of Old Town, maybe a place close to the center of actual downtown Falls Church would work. The main drag is certainly walked, even if it's not everyone's idea of walkable, and you've got the W&OD Trail running right through the heart of town. There is a smattering of night life so they don't roll up the sidewalks at night, and it's close to Metro. Most of the residential architecture is pre-1970 save for in-fill homes that have gone in over the past decade or so. Perhaps because it's incorporated, it's a very active community with lots of groups and activities and farmers' markets and such things. Might be worth a look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or