Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Yes it is the infamous Alanboy395 posting on the NoVA forum live from Louisville, KY.

Okay in t-minus three months I will graduate with my Management degree from a small name regionally accredited university. Now I've been mainly applying for federal vacancies since I think those are the most straight forward applications I've ever filled out and plus I have no idea about what else I should consider. I've gotten high NOR results but haven't gotten the referrals..... yet.

Now my question is what would be some other places in NoVA or DC that have some solid opportunities or programs for college grads who have good business or management credentials?

Now my main targets would be administrative duties or human resources but I'm open to anything at this point.

So please help an old friend.....err...poster out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Congratulations on your college degree, Alan! Have you looked into Fort Meade, Maryland? My husband's work moved from Falls Church to Fort Meade last spring (he's air force, but they have many, many non-military people and people from the navy). Some people chose not to move over due to the commute, and they still need people. My husband lives in a quiet, pleasant place between Annapolis and Bowie, and he really likes it (except for the fact that I'm not there ). It's calmer and more relaxed.

I can ask him what he knows about available jobs, if you like.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 PM

13 posts, read 35,951 times
Have you looked into the contracting/procurement or management analyst intern programs with the federal government? That would be a great place to start. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Congratulations on your college degree, Alan! Have you looked into Fort Meade, Maryland? My husband's work moved from Falls Church to Fort Meade last spring (he's air force, but they have many, many non-military people and people from the navy). Some people chose not to move over due to the commute, and they still need people. My husband lives in a quiet, pleasant place between Annapolis and Bowie, and he really likes it (except for the fact that I'm not there ). It's calmer and more relaxed.

I can ask him what he knows about available jobs, if you like.
I have checked for jobs @ Ft. Meade but would definitely appreciate it if your husband had anything I didnt know.

Quote:
Have you looked into the contracting/procurement or management analyst intern programs with the federal government? That would be a great place to start. Good luck!
I'd be interested in those as well. How do I find those programs, I haven't seen them on USAJOBS.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM

13 posts, read 35,951 times
DPAP | DPAP Operations | Acquisition Career Opportunities | Intern Opportunities

DoD internships here. I'm not too sure about the other agencies. Review the job descriptions and look for developmental opportunities under the 1102 series (Contracting) and 0301 (Administration and Program) series when you're searching USAJobs. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southchick318 View Post
DPAP | DPAP Operations | Acquisition Career Opportunities | Intern Opportunities

DoD internships here. I'm not too sure about the other agencies. Review the job descriptions and look for developmental opportunities under the 1102 series (Contracting) and 0301 (Administration and Program) series when you're searching USAJobs. Good luck!
Contracting is a GREAT field to get into. Where I work (DoD) it is full of many young people and it is fast paced and seems to have a lot of mobility.

Another area where I work in DoD is Cost Estimating. They usually bring college grads in as GS-13s. They either want a degree in Math or Business. I'm not sure what the series is though.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Now my main targets would be administrative duties or human resources but I'm open to anything at this point.
I would look in the association world for openings. Do a search on ASAE Career Center and see the opportunities there.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM

126 posts, read 304,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Contracting is a GREAT field to get into. Where I work (DoD) it is full of many young people and it is fast paced and seems to have a lot of mobility.

Another area where I work in DoD is Cost Estimating. They usually bring college grads in as GS-13s. They either want a degree in Math or Business. I'm not sure what the series is though.
Wait, fresh college grads start out as GS-13s????

Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
Wait, fresh college grads start out as GS-13s????

It seems so in the cost estimating field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia