U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 66,694 times

Advertisements

Hi all: I just moved to Merrifield area/Dunn Loring metro area. I am renting a condo there for a year. After I moved there, I noticed 2 towers (one turned out to be a tv tower and the other a microwave tower). The towers are about 1/2 mile from me, and i can see them from my condo.

Does anyone know anything about the health risks of living near these towers? Does anyone know what the Mircowave tower is used for? It's near the Merrifield Post office. Do any of you who live in the area have any input on these towers?

Thanks in Advance!
Kris
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,371,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruella View Post
Hi all: I just moved to Merrifield area/Dunn Loring metro area. I am renting a condo there for a year. After I moved there, I noticed 2 towers (one turned out to be a tv tower and the other a microwave tower). The towers are about 1/2 mile from me, and i can see them from my condo. Does anyone know anything about the health risks of living near these towers? Does anyone know what the Mircowave tower is used for? It's near the Merrifield Post office. Do any of you who live in the area have any input on these towers?
There are no significant health risks from these towers. The Giant Goalpost next to the County Maintenance Yard was built to hold the transmitters for Northern Virginia Public Television. The microwave tower near the Post Office is just that...one of dozens of such towers in the area. If you like to talk on your cell phone, you need to have these around. Exhaustive research into the long-term effects of low-grade exposure to radio-frequency radiation has not been done, but there are no indications that would warrant alarm. Keep in mind that if someone owned the sun, they would be getting sued left and right for causing all those cases of skin cancer...

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM

19 posts, read 66,694 times
Thanks Saganista! The Giant Goalpost tower is closer to my condo than the microwave tower. I noticed they have built condos right up next to both these towers and I see children living in those areas. There is also a school right next to the Microwave tower.

I suppose they need to do more research on the effects of these towers. Do you know of any other microwave towers or tv towers in NOVA area? I have never seen any other ones, or maybe I was just not paying attention. Is the microwave tower used to cell phones? Is it the same as a "cell phone tower"?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,192 times
Default Australia Perth Western australia

channel 7 perth and channel 2 abc Perth western australia. i walked around the bottom of the tower on a bush walk and i didnt think that there would be radation at the bottom of it .but im sure there is because i havent been feeling well in the head.you can get pritty close to these towers the fence is to close the street should be blocked of .i may have to take this further with these tv channels. They havent upgraded the fence area since going to digitial .anybody can walk around where the transmiter is the have only graded around the fence . [email]aceguy_wa@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 AM

channel 7 perth and channel 2 abc Perth western australia. i walked around the bottom of the tower on a bush walk and i didnt think that there would be radation at the bottom of it .but im sure there is because i havent been feeling well in the head.you can get pritty close to these towers the fence is to close the street should be blocked of .i may have to take this further with these tv channels who dont want to upgrade the fence area since going to digitial to think anybody can walk around the bush which has been graded

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM

channel 7 perth and channel 2 abc Perth western australia. i walked around the bottom of the tower on a bush walk and i didnt think that there would be radation at the bottom of it .
they have one little sign on abc which is pritty old with very little info on the sign

Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,584,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruella View Post
Hi all: I just moved to Merrifield area/Dunn Loring metro area. I am renting a condo there for a year. After I moved there, I noticed 2 towers (one turned out to be a tv tower and the other a microwave tower). The towers are about 1/2 mile from me, and i can see them from my condo.

Does anyone know anything about the health risks of living near these towers? Does anyone know what the Mircowave tower is used for? It's near the Merrifield Post office. Do any of you who live in the area have any input on these towers?

Thanks in Advance!
Kris
I live right here too.

I've found that my cell phone reception, despite the tower right here is terrible. I constantly lose calls mid conversation and must make calls from the top floor of my TH (no reception to in-and-out reception on the other floors). Unless you have one of those super reception satellite phones, make test cell calls from the prospective apt before you move in.

I just realized how old this thread is. Sorry, I didn't bump it!

Last edited by leighland; 10-13-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: stupid bumper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia