Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM

100 posts, read 162,477 times

Advertisements

I'd be willing to bet good money that within 6 months of living in clarendon, you'll be planning a move to D.C. as you find that the nightlife is better there and your roommate's commute would be much shorter. Not that clarendon isn't great - the suggestion to find a house near there would work very well (particularly with a total budget of 3600) - but you will find yourself wanting to live in dupont/u st/ etc fairly soon. Woodley park is a good suggestion to but may be further for commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM

100 posts, read 162,477 times
Newvadad has a point about taxes and some of the other costs and challenges of living in the city. My thought its that you'd be like most of my friends and bear those costs for the close proximity to the nightlife.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

298 posts, read 680,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchanello View Post
Newvadad has a point about taxes and some of the other costs and challenges of living in the city. My thought its that you'd be like most of my friends and bear those costs for the close proximity to the nightlife.
Agreed. What Newvadad describes is something we all put up with when we live in DC. And I also agree that, Adams Morgan (or U Street, another good suggestion) have more of an edge than Clarendon. And yes, housing would be a bit more expensive and if you own a car and park on the street, it will get broken into at some point. But frankly, you don't need a car if you live in Dupont or Adams Morgan or U Street. I got rid of mine and didn't get another for six years, until my job required it.

Anyway, despite the negatives, I can't help but think -- three ex-fraternity guys living in a group house? Adams Morgan or U Street >> Clarendon. Not that Clarendon is bad, but the others are so much better for their "type." If they are homophobes, they should avoid Dupont, I suppose, so I'll take that off the table. But if not, consider it, fellas. It's the best place to live in the District (and a great place for a straight guy to meet girls!).

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
i work in Dupont (Conn Ave just south of the circle). It can't be beat for proximity of bars and happy hours. I can literally walk to 10-15 different spots for happy hour within 1 minute. Its awesome. I'm happy living in Rosslyn a mile out from Georgetown though.

I don't need a car, but have one and feel safe parking it in Arlington

Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 19,495 times
Thanks for all your replies.

We've done a preliminary search and we're having a really difficult time finding something within our budget. Every 3BR high-rise apartment in Clarendon/Courthouse is over $4000. It seems like the consensus in this thread was that we have a pretty workable budget, but the early returns on Craigslist, padmapper, apartmentguide.com and apartmentshowcase.com make it look like we're not even close.

Is this going to be a several month process where we have to wait for the perfect deal to come out of the blue and jump on it? Not complaining at all, just wondering if we're missing how this goes. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycooper View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

We've done a preliminary search and we're having a really difficult time finding something within our budget. Every 3BR high-rise apartment in Clarendon/Courthouse is over $4000. It seems like the consensus in this thread was that we have a pretty workable budget, but the early returns on Craigslist, padmapper, apartmentguide.com and apartmentshowcase.com make it look like we're not even close.

Is this going to be a several month process where we have to wait for the perfect deal to come out of the blue and jump on it? Not complaining at all, just wondering if we're missing how this goes. Thanks!
The Clarendon and Courthouse neighborhoods are some of the most popular places to live in. If you see a promising rental, I suggest you move fast. There is an influx of interns in the summer so rentals can be scarce at the beginning of summer. If you want to do a townhouse or house rental, you should just contact a real estate agency that handles rentals.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM

163 posts, read 314,599 times
I had a similar issue and what I learned was that you should look for houses and go with cash in hand. They'll give the guy with two months rent in hand a preference over a person that doesn't have it.

good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,509 times
Here is my two cents. If you can, try to find a three/four bedroom house for rent in clarendon. It's a lot easier (Also harder since they always get snapped up quickly). There not going to be super nice but they will be affordable to rent.

I lived in a pretty crappy house for two years three dudes sharing one bathroom and half bathroom, but I was roughly .3 miles from Clarendon bars and you also get the option to throw house parties if you're still into that.

If you find nothing in those area, look in Rosslyn and Courthouse. Since you could easily just grab a cab off wilson or clarendon blvd and the added bonus is Georgetown is right across the bridge.

Be constantly on the look out, you need to check and check and keep checking craigslist like a madman and don't wait to contact them and set up an appointment IMMEDIATELY. This is really for a house in clarendon, apartment is more or less easier.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycooper View Post
If it helps, we're 3 former frat guys (feel free to give an obligatory eye roll, I would too)
I was in a frat too. You will the Orange Line more than adequate for your needs especially if you're a single male.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 6,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I was in a frat too. You will the Orange Line more than adequate for your needs especially if you're a single male.

Funny thing is once I moved to clarendon, I hardly used the Orange line. I found it more convenient to just cab it. Especially with four people in a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: