Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times

Advertisements

Keep an eye on these people. If they live here they are cheating the state and YOU out of their personal property taxes by not registering their cars here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Keep an eye on these people. If they live here they are cheating the state and YOU out of their personal property taxes by not registering their cars here.
I believe they have 30 days to do that.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Well.. what people said (as far as relocating because companies are relocating). There is also military (they don't need to change their plates if they don't want to--it's a federal law/right or whatever). Two of my neighbors are military with out of state plates (New York and Washington). They don't intend to change their plates.

But don't forget that we also live right in the middle of the I-95 corridor. People are driving up and down the coast for various reasons too to visit relative, go on vacations, go to school/college, etc. (and flying is expensive and a hassle).

Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM

62 posts, read 263,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well.. what people said (as far as relocating because companies are relocating). There is also military (they don't need to change their plates if they don't want to--it's a federal law/right or whatever). Two of my neighbors are military with out of state plates (New York and Washington). They don't intend to change their plates.

But don't forget that we also live right in the middle of the I-95 corridor. People are driving up and down the coast for various reasons too to visit relative, go on vacations, go to school/college, etc. (and flying is expensive and a hassle).
Are military people required to change their license plate if they own property in Virginia? A military neighbor near our house has been living in a rental house for about 2 years and bought that house about a year ago. She has been using the same out-of-state plate for about 3 years now.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
Are military people required to change their license plate if they own property in Virginia? A military neighbor near our house has been living in a rental house for about 2 years and bought that house about a year ago. She has been using the same out-of-state plate for about 3 years now.
I could be wrong but my understanding of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act is that the only thing that is relevant is whether or not you are active duty military and what your official state of residence is. Even though your neighbor owns property in Virginia, that doesn't automatically make her a resident and more than owning a beach house in Florida would make you a resident of that state. The difference with military is that they don't need to physically reside in their state of residence.

But to be fair, this is all just me personal understanding of things. I am, by no means, an expert on any of this. I am not even in the military.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM

84 posts, read 170,614 times
northern virginia is like ellis island. a lot of people here are transplants from somewhere else. part of the reason is that the economy here wasn't as badly effected. traffic actually got worse on the weekends this past summer because of all the people looking for housing (according to a real estate friend). my whole family is from michigan, i had a friend from boston, people i knew from chicago, and a friend from the phillipines. Not money people in NORTHERN virginia were actually born and raised here. southern virginia is another story.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Active duty military are not required to change their plates provided the vehicle is in the service members name only. I did because it was cheaper and more convienient than re-registering in my home state.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I could be wrong but my understanding of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act is that the only thing that is relevant is whether or not you are active duty military and what your official state of residence is. Even though your neighbor owns property in Virginia, that doesn't automatically make her a resident and more than owning a beach house in Florida would make you a resident of that state. The difference with military is that they don't need to physically reside in their state of residence.

But to be fair, this is all just me personal understanding of things. I am, by no means, an expert on any of this. I am not even in the military.
You are correct, I am retired military and even though I owned a home and lived in Virginia I maintained my residency elswhere. For me the advantage was no state income tax or personal property tax. Once I retired and started working in VA I became a state resident with all applicable tax's..

One major down side to the out of state residency is you and your children have to pay out of state rates for state colleges. You also can't vote in elections where you are living.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
It is all about home-of-record as a former military brat myself. If they are active duty, Virginia can't touch them on registration provided that their home of record is not in Virginia and they are current in their home-of-record state.

I think most states have a provision like this. A lot of soliders at Ft. Knox where my mother works for HRC do not register their cars in KY because KY has outrageous taxes on cars like a usage tax due upon registering and a personal property tax once every year.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

62 posts, read 263,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
It is all about home-of-record as a former military brat myself. If they are active duty, Virginia can't touch them on registration provided that their home of record is not in Virginia and they are current in their home-of-record state.

I think most states have a provision like this. A lot of soliders at Ft. Knox where my mother works for HRC do not register their cars in KY because KY has outrageous taxes on cars like a usage tax due upon registering and a personal property tax once every year.
That makes sense. I guess the car tax in North Dakota, my neighbor's plate origin is very cheap. But how do you get your car inspected. It is probably more expensive to drive few thousand miles every year to get the car inspected. Tax registration is probably easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia