Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,413,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMathGrad View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I am not so sure about those "active adults" communities. I don't mean to offend, but would it not be depressing to be in a community where most people, when they move out of their homes, is due to one main reason? Or am I totally wrong for thinking of those communities in that manner? I am thinking it might help my parents feel 'younger' to be among the general population, instead of always being around other elderly people? They are both healthy and love to travel, and while they are in their late 60s / early 70s, really don't look it. I know the over-55 communities are not retirement centers or nursing homes, and residents are also healthy and active, but I just don't know ... Again, please don't take offense as certainly none meant.

Leesburg may be a bit too far from us. Ideally, I'd like for them to be no more than 20-30 minutes away. We are about 20 minutes from both Reston and Fairfax Corner / Fair Lakes (we are east of South Riding), which is why I was thinking of those locations. However, I am not familiar with Leesburg so may have to take a drive out and check it out. I found some cool four-level homes at Promenade at Lansdowne wit private elevators (and pricing is quite reasonable, IMO, considering you have your own elevator!), but I don't know anything about Lansdowne so will have to visit and see. However, seems a bit far away ...
An advantage to an active adult neighborhood would be no outdoor maintenance as most of them have that built into their fees. I know that's one of the reasons they look interesting to me. if you are looking for a more typical neighborhood with rambler, single level living, you might look at Greenbriar. Lots of variety of ages in the community and ways to get involved, plus plenty of shopping, etc nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,286,169 times
People I have known who have had parents/grandparents move to active adult communities have generally moved to single-family homes within those developments, though there are also condos. One main reason is the ability to travel, since the communities are generally gated and staffed, they felt more at ease going away for a month or two at a time. I have known a couple of people who moved to golf communities for the golf, and a house on the fairway, but not terribly far from where they lived previously, so they maintain their friendships away from the community socializing. For them, it's not depressing, but provides for an easier means to manage a lifestyle with a degree more freedom than they would have had in their previous home. If your parents don't need the flexibility for travel, and/or are not golfers, then I would be more apt to have them look at a regular condo.

Another friend of mine bought the family house and their parents moved downtown to a condo because they enjoy being in the midst of the city, and have plenty to do in their neighborhood. DC might be too far, since you want to keep within 20-30 minutes from South Riding, but there are advantages to living in an area like Georgetown or the West End. In Northern Virginia, McLean/Tysons, Reston, Falls Church, and perhaps even the City of Fairfax would be worth considering. The City of Fairfax has its own local bus service that connects with the Metro, which was an important consideration for someone else's parents I know who moved to Charlottesville because of the local bus service, and the ability to downsize to one car and a convertible for transportation needs, though they like to walk, bike ride, and take the bus if possible.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,435,224 times
If you decide to consider condos farther east than you originally specified, there are a number of condos in Arlington that have plenty of middle-aged-and-older owners. For example, one friend who is near 70 lives in one very nice, very well-kept high rise near the Ballston metro and owns and rents out another unit nearby. When I have been there to visit, the other residents all seem to be in his age range or somewhat younger. The residents like these buildings because the condos are of manageable size, very well-maintained, and close to public transportation so they don't have to worry about driving. They can zip into the district for a museum visit or to go to the theater and dinner, then zip home. These condos are not cheap, but it sounds as if your parents are quite comfortable and this might be something they might like.

There are also some very expensive condos along the river, in Rosslyn and Crystal City. Old Town obviously has some wonderful options too but that might be a bit too far from you.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM

18 posts, read 72,174 times
These are all wonderful suggestions, and include areas I had not even considered! Many thanks to all, and the positives listed about active-adult communities definitely help. I will be sure to take my parents to visit some of those neighborhoods so they can decide for themselves. The point about their being safe neighborhoods when the owners are out traveling is a very good note. My parents travel A LOT and this would be a major plus for them. Things like that - I don't even consider - but may be a deciding factor for them. Thanks again to everyone for the great and helpful comments!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,435,224 times
I should add too that the friend I mentioned in my prior post is a frequent world traveler, so obviously that bldg. can accommodate that and he doesn't worry about security. Some buildings have secured parking garages too.

The Ballston area has some property crime, but in Arlington in general this tends to take place along the busiest streets. And the incidence of all types of crimes is far less in most parts of Arl. than in the District -- even in the upscale areas like Georgetown & Dupont.

You can check out:

http://www.spotcrime.com/

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM

9,765 posts, read 15,715,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
You can check out:

http://www.spotcrime.com/
Wow, neat site. Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia