Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 72,238 times

Advertisements

My father will be retiring later this year, and he and my mother are planning to move to NoVa to be near my family (especially the grandkids). They would like a newer, one-level home, which I know is pretty much non-existent in this area. They are definitely open to the Active Living communities for those 55 and over, and I see there is one in Ashburn (Potomac Green). Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood? Another option would be a condo, and I'm looking at Reston Town Center for them. They like to walk and so would like to live in a nice subdivision where they can take their walks everyday, or somewhere like Reston or Fair Lakes where there are nice sidewalks / trails and can walk to stores easily.

My family and I live near South Riding, and so my parents would like to be close to us, so I'm thinking either eastern Loudoun or western Fairfax. Maybe no further east than Tysons, and I think Leesburg (on this side of Route 15) would be the most west we'd want to consider. Any thoughts on where would be a nice neighborhood for an "older" couple? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
There are one story houses around - though you really have to look hard for them. Below is a one that I went to an open house yesterday. Very nice house! It is close to the wonderful trails of Reston.
11814 TRIPLE CROWN RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,782 times
Possibly they could qualify for the elderly tax relief in Loudoun?

Loudoun County Tax Relief (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=656#Tax - broken link)

Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks, Lucky, but not for my parents. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
How about Lesiure World in Lansdowne? They are condos for active adults.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
This is a good idea. If this is your parents' last move you might want to consider one of those communities that provide more care as your parents age. My mom's in one in Springfield and loves it. And we don't have to worry about her.

Last edited by reebo; 03-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Capital letters don't belong in the middle of words.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
If your parents are golfers, they may enjoy Heritage Hunt in Gainesville. If they like more of a city environment, however, then I would look at Reston Town Center, as you are already considering. Fair Oaks/Fair Lakes is also a good consideration, though there is not as much to do as Reston in immediate walking proximity. It's a situation where they could walk, but it might be a long walk to the movie theater, for example, but it's a short drive to Fairfax Crossroads. I would not like that walk, myself, as you have to cross I-66, and there is a lot of traffic, so if they prefer to walk everywhere, I would look to RTC in Fairfax County, or at parts of Arlington, though that's much further from South Riding.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I am not so sure about those "active adults" communities. I don't mean to offend, but would it not be depressing to be in a community where most people, when they move out of their homes, is due to one main reason? Or am I totally wrong for thinking of those communities in that manner? I am thinking it might help my parents feel 'younger' to be among the general population, instead of always being around other elderly people? They are both healthy and love to travel, and while they are in their late 60s / early 70s, really don't look it. I know the over-55 communities are not retirement centers or nursing homes, and residents are also healthy and active, but I just don't know ... Again, please don't take offense as certainly none meant.

Leesburg may be a bit too far from us. Ideally, I'd like for them to be no more than 20-30 minutes away. We are about 20 minutes from both Reston and Fairfax Corner / Fair Lakes (we are east of South Riding), which is why I was thinking of those locations. However, I am not familiar with Leesburg so may have to take a drive out and check it out. I found some cool four-level homes at Promenade at Lansdowne wit private elevators (and pricing is quite reasonable, IMO, considering you have your own elevator!), but I don't know anything about Lansdowne so will have to visit and see. However, seems a bit far away ...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Active-Adult communities are not for everyone, but they are not usually depressing. They are for people like your parents who are indeed active. Generally, there is a clubhouse in the development and there are tons of clubs - cards, dominoes, billiards, swimming, book clubs, knitting, tennis, yoga, aerobics, etc. There are usually other activities such as movie night once per week, trips to local attractions, and special events (Valentine's dance, speakers, financial seminars, etc.). Many of them have buses that take residents to the mall, supermarkets, medical offices, etc. Some do not have that feature. It's like college for older folks. :-)

My parents live in such a development in Pennsylvania. Many of the people there are very social and active and chose such a development so they can keep busy. My parents play billiards, dominoes, go to the pool, the movies, lectures, etc. They like it.

Not everyone likes living among only seniors, however. It might get dull to them not to see younger people on a regular basis. Others don't seem to mind. One thing to take into consideration - the newer the development, the younger the residents, generally. So if they bought into a development that was just built this year, then most of the residents will be younger - in their 60's. But if they move into one that was built 10-15 years ago, they are likely to see more residents in their 70's -80s, who bought when they were in their 60's. Of course there's turnover, but brand new ones genrerally do have younger people in them.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
They might like Central Parke, which is part of the Lowes Island community. It's definitely not depressing or isolated from the community--it's right in the middle of it. I think a lot of people buy there so they can be near their grandkids yet in their own community with their own pool and fitness center for the seniors. As residents of Cascades they can also use all those amenities, including a fitness center/pool/tennis complex about 1/4 down the road (which would let them be among younger people if they wished). There's a shopping plaza with several restaurants right across the street, The Cascades Senior center about 2 miles down the road, a regional park about a half mile away, two nearby golf courses (public and private) and lost of walking trails. Reston Hospital and Loudoun Hospital are both convenient (and 6-7 miles) and there are lots of restaurants/shopping in the area.

Central Parke at Lowes Island - Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia