U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,127,069 times

Advertisements

Try a condo building in Clarendon or Ballston, two neighborhoods of Arlington that are expensive and will give you true urban living, on the Orange Line of the Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM

513 posts, read 803,951 times
Default Rotonda Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by debip View Post
My husband and I are contemplating a move to NoVA and we're looking for a townhouse/condo. Came across the Rotonda. For condo living, it looks great. But I cannot find any reviews for it. We have 2 kids - ages 3 and 1. With the Metro coming, it looks like a nice place to be. Any thoughts?
I have lived at the Rotonda for the past 12 years. My primary residence is in West Palm Beach, but I spend at least 4 months a year in Mclean.

The Metro should not be the deciding factor about moving to Mclean. Not going to be here till 2012, at the earliest. There are multiple playgrounds in the Mclean area (SpringHill, Huge Clemente, etc). 5-10 minute drive. There is an indoor and outdoor pool. There is also a quarter mile road inside the Rotonda commplex which is ideal for summer/fall night walks. A++ schools, Mclean High School. The 2 Bedrooms are fairly large for condos in the area. Condo fees are comparable to the other popular upscale condos in the area. Average price is $575 a month. Condo fees go up an average of %6 percent a year.

Gated Security, where all he guests need to buzzed in twice-Once when entering and once to get in the building. Safe for families.

If you take the Dulles toll road you can get to downtown mclean in 5 minutes for Grocery Shopping (Giant, Safeway, Bertuccis). Traffic on 123/7 is terrible at rush hour or the mornings.

Tysons is known for shopping in Northern Va. Tysons Galleria/International drive is the Rodeo Drive of Va. Gucci, Hermes, LV,Versace, Saks, Neimans are all within a walking distance of the Rotonda.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,006 times
I've lived in the Rotonda for 7 years now and I recently just started to rent it out. It is a great, secure place to live, close to many restaurants and shopping. There are many amenities including an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, weight room, bowling alley, and restaurants. It is great for renters with families. My neighbors are really friendly and most of them are professionals or retired professionals. You really don't need a car here, because a lot of shopping is within walking distance and the rotonda even has a free shuttle running.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,006 times
The Rotonda has made significant improvements since your move 4 years ago. You should see it now. It is more suited now for children. My 2 year old daughter and 6 year old son love the place. There are so many things to do for them without even leaving the community area. Most of all, it is such a secure place, and we are close to one of the best elementary schools in the state of Virginia.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times
Default 17 years in Rotonda and sooo happy to leave!

After 17 years we just sold our place in Rotonda and we are very happy about it!
Buildings are old and there is many problems with it, but the location is pretty good.

The reason why we decided to move is actually the management and the people who work there.

Not only they are not helpful with anything , but they are extremely rude, especially this last year!
There is many neighbors who complain about the management but nothing changes. They get you to a point that you are not welcome in your own house.

Moving was the best decision we ever made, and I want to warn other people to think twice before getting a place in Rotonda.

There is many new buildings around Rotonda, new, friendly people and you feel like home!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 PM

20 posts, read 19,155 times
I lived there for 5 years. My observations:

1: If you're elderly, you're ahead of the game

4: The complex was built in the middle of nowhere between 77-83, and includes it's own pond, several tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. It also has indoor and outdoor pools. It's like the 70's vision of a self contained futuristic pod world. I thought it was cool, but it does feel dated.
5: insulation between units on the same floor is crappy, but insulation between floors is great (concrete)
6: access control is as easy as you could hope for and guest parking is basically unlimited.

I personally hated Tyson's Corner mall and all of the associated crap,but used to work in that area. I literally felt like I was stranded on an island in the evenings inside of the 38 acre complex, simply because traffic was so bad that once I made it home I didn't wwant to leave. Another challenge was that you only had to egress/ingress points as a walker because of the insane (necessary) security. Despite being in hte middle of everything, I rarely walked to other locations because I'd have to go so far out of my way just to get through the gates.

I now live in a complex built by the same company/developers at the edge of Old Town. The same company started out their life by building the original Watergate in Foggy Bottom (yes, that's the one). I think the Rotonda was their second property. I live in their "Carlyle Towers" complex and love it... for the most part.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: prejudiced comments

Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
My office is just down the street from Tyson's. I cannot imagine living there with the traffic issues I see all the time. And I certainly cannot imagine trying to raise kids in Tyson's.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
There are a lot of retirees at the Rotonda, but also many families now, primarily Asian and Middle Eastern, who live there and send their kids to Spring Hill, Longfellow and then McLean or TJ. It's comparatively affordable and such residents often care a lot about schools and safety. As more is built in and around Tysons, there will be more to walk to, although it's such a big complex that it may still be a hike.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
Her kids are probably grown now. She asked the question in 2007!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Her kids are probably grown now. She asked the question in 2007!
I noticed that but the topic restarted so I jumped in. I wasn't working in that area at the time but I am now and wanted to contribute how much I dislike the Tyson's area. (Due to the traffic congestion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia