U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM

113 posts, read 103,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Really? So you don't appreciate when there are a million cars coming and you realize you are NEVER going to get out on to the road unless a nice, thoughtful person LETS you in?
Really?

I'm not going to say what I wish on you, but you're not very nice.
Sure I am. I'm considerate enough to either wait for the chance to get into the flow of traffic (which can often be done) or I'll just take another route (like finding a place where there is a traffic light so I'll have a chance to get in). I don't expect ten others to suffer for my sake. THAT would be selfish and "not very nice."

Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,147,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKite View Post
Sure I am. I'm considerate enough to either wait for the chance to get into the flow of traffic (which can often be done) or I'll just take another route (like finding a place where there is a traffic light so I'll have a chance to get in). I don't expect ten others to suffer for my sake. THAT would be selfish and "not very nice."

You're obviously not thinking about all circumstances. For example, where I live (not in a suburban or urban setting), often there is no other route; there is no other way to get onto the road. There's a highway you have to merge on to and in rush hour, unless someone lets you in, you're not getting in.

Sometimes, there is no chance to get into the flow of traffic, and it's under those circumstances I'll let someone in. I'm not talking about just stopping the flow of traffic, but if an opportunity presents itself, I'll absolutely let someone in. And if an opportunity presents itself to you to let someone in and you don't, that's still not nice.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,093,833 times
Agree with Mr. Kite here. There are clear protocols for merging and turning that are spelled out in every drivers' manual across the country. When you don't follow them for the sake of "politeness", you create unpredictability, and there's nothing worse for traffic than unpredictability. It creates congestion and even accidents.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Agree with Mr. Kite here. There are clear protocols for merging and turning that are spelled out in every drivers' manual across the country. When you don't follow them for the sake of "politeness", you create unpredictability, and there's nothing worse for traffic than unpredictability. It creates congestion and even accidents.

Sorry, I disagree; and I think you missed the part where I said "if an opportunity presents itself."

If I'm driving down the road and traffic flow is really heavy and no one is going over 10 mph I'm going to let someone on to the road if they're waiting. I'm fairly certain my doing that will not cause an accident.

You guys think I'm going to stop traffic flow when it's 50 mph hour just to let someone on to the road. No.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You're obviously not thinking about all circumstances. For example, where I live (not in a suburban or urban setting), often there is no other route; there is no other way to get onto the road. There's a highway you have to merge on to and in rush hour, unless someone lets you in, you're not getting in.
Not really. There is always eventually a space to get in. It could be in front of a slowly moving truck or another driver that is going slowly (and that happens pretty frequently in NoVA).

Quote:
Sometimes, there is no chance to get into the flow of traffic, and it's under those circumstances I'll let someone in.
I will, too, as long as I am reasonably sure that it won't hold up 20 other people behind me. I generally will not do it, though, if it is near a traffic light that doesn't last long and that one person I could potentially let in would use up 3-4 seconds which, at some lights, translates to multiple people behind me not making that light. I have consideration for those motorists (plural) behind me who, like me, don't want to be delayed any more than necessary after a long day of work.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are 100% at the mercy of someone letting you in to traffic, then you need to find another route. And in this region, there is almost always another route you can take.

I have to say, though, that I've been driving in NoVA for nearly a decade now, and I have rarely, if ever, found it impossible to get into traffic without some other driver letting me in. I have always found an option to get into traffic. The times I've seen people letting others in are usually cases where it's not necessary and where the person being "nice" doesn't have to do so, and the person who's being let in could easily get into traffic in a couple of minutes.

Quote:
I'm not talking about just stopping the flow of traffic, but if an opportunity presents itself, I'll absolutely let someone in. And if an opportunity presents itself to you to let someone in and you don't, that's still not nice.
Again, it's ten times more "not nice" to delay ten people for the sake of not delaying one person. To you, the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM

23,562 posts, read 33,276,704 times
I hate the traffic with a passion which was a major contributing factor in my decision to leave NoVA. However, I'm moving back because I moved to somewhere that didn't have many traffic issues but had issues with job including facing an eventual layoff at my current one. I've accepted that traffic is a reasonable tradeoff for a steady job until I can establish myself and be more emotionally equipped to start anew.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM

7,923 posts, read 9,634,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I 100% agree!! While you may think it is nice to slow down to let someone into the roadway, this can definately cause problems and be unexpected to other drivers.

I was once driving in the left-hand lane of two lanes headed in my direction. There was no one in front of me, but there were three cars in the right hand lane. The first car in the right hand lane thought it would be "nice" to slow down and let a car pull out and make a left-hand turn (which would mean they would have to cross my lane, as well.) They couldn't see me coming (because I was "hidden" behind the other two cars), they pulled right out, directly in front of me. Nearly a horrible accident. And the original woman was only trying to be "nice".

And on another pet-peeve note, "merge" does NOT mean "stop" unless there is another car right there. If there are no cars (and believe me, they will be easily visible, otherwise the intersection would have a stop sign, not a merge sign) DO NOT STOP. Doing this will only get you rear-ended by people who know how to drive and are not expecting someone to stop at a merge sign.

(Wow...guess I had to vent.....)

Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree; and I think you missed the part where I said "if an opportunity presents itself."

If I'm driving down the road and traffic flow is really heavy and no one is going over 10 mph I'm going to let someone on to the road if they're waiting. I'm fairly certain my doing that will not cause an accident.

You guys think I'm going to stop traffic flow when it's 50 mph hour just to let someone on to the road. No.
No, I'm saying that you are going to heavily impact the commute of potentially dozens of other drivers behind you for the sake of one person. I don't think you get the chain-reaction, ripple effect that happens from just one person slowing down. How many times have you gotten stuck in congestion for like 10-15 minutes, only to find out that the only thing that caused it was people rubbernecking to gawk at an accident on the side of the road that itself was not obstructing traffic? Just one slow driver can slow down dozens of drivers behind him or her, so your delaying to let that one person in can actually contribute to the traffic problem for many people behind you. Now if you can do that without slowing anything down, then great; but the times I've seen it done, it usually does slow things down, particularly on roads with a lot of traffic lights that are strung out just a short distance from each other (like Rt. 50 or Rt. 29).

Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,530,273 times
I don't get too annoyed by driving here. I've lived in other places with heavy traffic (and crazy traffic) and while it's different at each place, every place with heavy traffic seems to have it's problems. I just listen to some Jimmy Buffet or something and figure I will get there when I get there.

But one thing I really wish I could convey to other drivers is: sometimes if you want to turn left (when there is no light to help you), it's faster to turn right (and make a U-turn at the next light) as opposed to waiting for that near impossible moment when you can cut across several lanes of traffic. I do it all the time and I've had several confused passengers ask me what I am doing since I need to go "the other way." It's like an "ah-ha" moment when I explain it to them.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKite View Post
No, I'm saying that you are going to heavily impact the commute of potentially dozens of other drivers behind you for the sake of one person. I don't think you get the chain-reaction, ripple effect that happens from just one person slowing down. How many times have you gotten stuck in congestion for like 10-15 minutes, only to find out that the only thing that caused it was people rubbernecking to gawk at an accident on the side of the road that itself was not obstructing traffic? Just one slow driver can slow down dozens of drivers behind him or her, so your delaying to let that one person in can actually contribute to the traffic problem for many people behind you. Now if you can do that without slowing anything down, then great; but the times I've seen it done, it usually does slow things down, particularly on roads with a lot of traffic lights that are strung out just a short distance from each other (like Rt. 50 or Rt. 29).

Whatever you guys say

For every person that lets ME into the traffic flow, I do it for someone else down the line (when it doesn't impede traffic flow <-----you guys are missing this point). It's karma, and I like karma. Sorry if you don't.

Like I said before (and I'll say it again) I can't slow down dozens of drivers when the traffic flow is only going 5-10 mph. They're all ready going slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia