U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I sure hope these "goodbye" threads don't catch on! It just seems that departees would be that much closer to the State line if they hadn't wasted time posting this kind of stuff.

OP: Best of luck and all, but frankly, I didn't know you were here, so I sure as heck won't know you're gone...
Maybe the people who don't like this thread should find the other NoVA threads that make them happy--ones where people talk about their NoVA real estate, wealth, expensive purchases, extensive education, etc. Tolerance for different viewpoints is important in NoVA, from what some people say. The few people who find NoVA life to be less than beautiful should be allowed to post without being bullied.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM

531 posts, read 1,204,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Maybe the people who don't like this thread should find the other NoVA threads that make them happy--ones where people talk about their NoVA real estate, wealth, expensive purchases, extensive education, etc. Tolerance for different viewpoints is important in NoVA, from what some people say. The few people who find NoVA life to be less than beautiful should be allowed to post without being bullied.
^

Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Hey I stand by my original comment Fern.

Virginia is the home of America. Is it perfect? No. I have a theory it is going through a generational shift between old Virginia and a newer Virginia. However, that doesnt mean that people from places that havent been as influential as Virginia should show up here, call us derogatory terms, and then say they want to leave. No one said you needed to move here when your state couldn't handle it's internal issues. Our state so far has, though recently I wonder. Regardless those are issues for real virginians, those of us who are born, raised, and plan to die here like me.

Do I hate some of my fellow virginians sometimes, hell yea. Do I wish I was living next door to anyone else in this country, god no. This country is the home of both James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, the house of Patrick Henry and Woodrow Wilson. This was the split point for pro-abolitionists and anti-abolitionists. This state has always shown its affinity to a good argument, to a more perfect union, and a more interesting conversation. If you want Pleasantville, go back to middle America. In Virginia, we might be abrasive, annoying, privileged, and self centered, but atleast we are not ignorant to the problems we all face. We will continue to be ourselves, the tornado point of American thought, and if you can't stand the swift breeze then I suggest you stand clear.

See ya later.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 PM

236 posts, read 408,616 times
the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote/comment
I am simply saying, us Virginians, true Virginians, care about each other. If you don't like that fact, then thats your issue. But that's all Im saying in the previous statement. If you are a true Virginian, who can handle the good and the bad, then you shouldnt have any issue with that statement. Its not derogatory, its not confrontational (if you take it as such then I apologize). The point is, we are the real America, the butt your head America that founded this country, and if you hate us, then ok, but we won't change our ways to fit in with the rest of this Country. We are open to any who wants to live and think like Virginians, but if you attack one of us, the rest of us don't take kindly.

On this point, I stand by my Loudoun, Prince William, Fairfax, Arlington, Montgomery, Goochland, Wise, and every other common wealth county.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-12-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Perhaps you missed the post referring to places in the US outside of NoVA as backwater America and uneducated. Or maybe you don't mind the self-centered way some people in NoVA/DC believe their area to be immune to the economic/real estate woes that the rest of the country currently experiences. Not everyone enjoys having to move to the congested NoVA area for employment. The NoVA mindset is very different from the reality of most Americans.

If you are tired of a few people posting on a thread about not being happy in NoVA and wanting to leave, then you might want to read only the threads about people happy to move to NoVA , looking for charming, walkable, safe communities with top-rated schools and wanting to make many new best friends with their neighbors.
I gave ya rep for that although I don't agree with mostly your closing statement.

imo that looks about as bad as a hick patriot who loves his country showing patriotism. I guess we can do it for states still but not for the USA?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Trust me dude, I am not a favored son of this forum. I am simply saying, us Virginians, true Virginians, care about each other
does this include NoVa? I don't see it...

no problem man, I just figure like I stated, the truth is not sweet, the knowledge I have to offer from 30 years in NoVa happens to turn bitter in alot of the residents stomachs.

Trust me I will speak my mind about this state before I leave it... Va has burned me and most of its native residents.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 AM

221 posts, read 386,743 times
Check this out.

The other day I was walking in Clarendon and almost got it. The guy didn't even see me, he slammed on his breaks, I looked at him like "wtf" and he looks at me like "hurry the f up" -so rude. And I was walking quickly too.

The other day I was in my car and some pedestrian walked out in front of me out of no where when I had a green light. He looked at me like I was crazy. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. I looked at him like "wtf is your problem".

I seriously think cops should ticket people for jaywalking, or and holding up traffic. Yes, I cross when it says not to, but there is no traffic and I move quickly so it doesn't disturb traffic. But come on people, move your ass and stop holding people up.

Oh and in NOVA, yellow light means hurry up, not slow down. Haha.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,287,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Check this out.

The other day I was walking in Clarendon and almost got it. The guy didn't even see me, he slammed on his breaks, I looked at him like "wtf" and he looks at me like "hurry the f up" -so rude. And I was walking quickly too.

The other day I was in my car and some pedestrian walked out in front of me out of no where when I had a green light. He looked at me like I was crazy. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. I looked at him like "wtf is your problem".

I seriously think cops should ticket people for jaywalking, or and holding up traffic. Yes, I cross when it says not to, but there is no traffic and I move quickly so it doesn't disturb traffic. But come on people, move your ass and stop holding people up.

Oh and in NOVA, yellow light means hurry up, not slow down. Haha.
My crazy pedestrian stories usually happened in the Landmark neighborhood.

I was driving down Stevenson Ave and two guys just walked and casually crossed Stevenson ave and I and others were coming at them full speed and barely missed them.

Also, two girls darted out crossing Duke St @ S Walker right across from the mall as the light turned green they almost got hit.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Hey I stand by my original comment Fern.

Virginia is the home of America. Is it perfect? No. I have a theory it is going through a generational shift between old Virginia and a newer Virginia. However, that doesnt mean that people from places that havent been as influential as Virginia should show up here, call us derogatory terms, and then say they want to leave. No one said you needed to move here when your state couldn't handle it's internal issues. Our state so far has, though recently I wonder. Regardless those are issues for real virginians, those of us who are born, raised, and plan to die here like me.

Do I hate some of my fellow virginians sometimes, hell yea. Do I wish I was living next door to anyone else in this country, god no. This country is the home of both James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, the house of Patrick Henry and Woodrow Wilson. This was the split point for pro-abolitionists and anti-abolitionists. This state has always shown its affinity to a good argument, to a more perfect union, and a more interesting conversation. If you want Pleasantville, go back to middle America. In Virginia, we might be abrasive, annoying, privileged, and self centered, but atleast we are not ignorant to the problems we all face. We will continue to be ourselves, the tornado point of American thought, and if you can't stand the swift breeze then I suggest you stand clear.
See ya later.
That's fine. Just remember that other people have the right to think for themselves as well. Not just native Virginians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia