Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post

The other day I was walking in Clarendon and almost got it. The guy didn't even see me, he slammed on his breaks, I looked at him like "wtf" and he looks at me like "hurry the f up" -so rude. And I was walking quickly too.

The other day I was in my car and some pedestrian walked out in front of me out of no where when I had a green light. He looked at me like I was crazy. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. I looked at him like "wtf is your problem".
Either you're not a native Virginian or the two people you encountered were not native Virginians....or maybe all three of you aren't. Either way, if everyone involved were native Virginians - this would not have happened.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Either you're not a native Virginian or the two people you encountered were not native Virginians....or maybe all three of you aren't. Either way, if everyone involved were native Virginians - this would not have happened.
Yeah, Virginians are people who never mean harm and bake cookies for each other every day.

(sarcasm off)

Virginians come in all type of sizes and flavors like soda. Some weren't born here but adopted Virginia as our home simply because we don't know anywhere else (my case since I was born in SC but moved to VA at age 2), some natives, some only because of residence in Virginia, Northern Virginians, Southern Virginians, Tidewater Virginians, Blue Ridge Virginians, SW Virginians, etc. At end of the day Virginians are no more than human beings, individuals with different minds and beliefs. I've met some great Virginians who I love and some Virginians who I'd love to give a Virginia beatdown.

This whole "true Virginian" stuff is garbage. You are a Virginian if your residence is in Virginia.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
I want apologize in advance if I offend anyone, especially since I'm going to have to generalize a lot, so please don't take anything personally.

Although Northern VA has many jobs, I just can't deal with the hassle of living and working here everyday. I heard the stories of traffic, congestion, and rude people, but like most things, I didn't really think it was that bad. After being here for some time, I realize why people are "rude", it's the freaking commute and population. Peace, long life, and sanity to anyone that lives out in Woodbridge, or anywhere south, and have to drive North for work. I don't want to deal with bumper to bumper every day.

I see how the "rudeness" develops; you want to get to your destination and some idiot is holding you up, some pedestrian is taking their sweet time to cross the street, or you have to circle the block a few times just to find parking. When I first arrived here, I was "that guy", the person that let cars through, the person that took their time, but that has changed. It only took a few people that weren't paying attention when I attempted to let them through, for me to realize that it's not worth the hassle. I wait to let you through, you don't pay attention, then as I'm going to drive past you, you decide "Oh, you are letting me through", so you pull out in front of me, you go slow, you stop at the yellow light, and now myself, and 10 others miss the light, causing a series of events that ultimately lead to a rift in the space time continuum...well, maybe not that bad, but you get the point.

Next are the pedestrians...yes VA, I see the signs about the pedestrians having the right of way, but could you at least walk in a straight line, and not in some diagonal. (The shortest distance between two points is a straight line) Or why don't you cross when the sign says don't cross, because you know I better not hit you.

Okay, I can go on and on, so I will say this. I'm still happy to live in a country where a whiner like me can complain, and decide just to move to another state that does not have these issues. I don't have to keep complaining, I can provide a solution for myself. A lot of the post is to complain, but it's good to have the option of changing things.

Don't confuse Northern Virginia with the rest of the state. All states have their stains, Northern VA is ours, but the rest of the state is beautiful and friendly.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
There area always a lot of bullies on this board. Dont even bother - I am envious of you for finally getting out of this "Rat Race"

Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Yeah, Virginians are people who never mean harm and bake cookies for each other every day.

(sarcasm off)
But only for other native Virginians. Otherwise, it's gloves off!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
The general impression I got while living in NoVA (6 years) was that people's friends lists are full and they do not have the time, energy or interest in being friends with anyone who varies from their somewhat narrow list of requirements (appearance, career/income level, age of kids, sports activities, political views, etc.).

Hi Fairfax Mom! Hope things are going well with you!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
The general impression I got while living in NoVA (6 years) was that people's friends lists are full and they do not have the time, energy or interest in being friends with anyone who varies from their somewhat narrow list of requirements (appearance, career/income level, age of kids, sports activities, political views, etc.).

Hi Fairfax Mom! Hope things are going well with you!
This is the same mindset I see in people who say there are no good restaurants in Nova. If you can't find them, then the problem might have been with you. You don't have to go to cheesecake factory. Perhaps the reason you kept seeing people like that was because you yourself, while you lived here for all of 6 years, had a similar mindset.

I know lots of open minded Northern Virginians. Typically what I have found in my 3 decades here is that the people who are transplants who only came here because of the prospect of money from work are typically the same ones that complain that this area is only monetarily focused. It's classic self projection. People who have grown up here, and know this area aren't here just for chasing the easy dollar. We aren't the ones slamming on our gas and brakes at the same time. Its the people who came here disgruntled because their own situations, and choose to blame that on us whose jobs they are coming to take.

I meet new people all the time, and I have found that the people I meet, who are easy to talk to and are interested in friendship are people who have lived here most or all of their life, anecdotal but true.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
This is the same mindset I see in people who say there are no good restaurants in Nova. If you can't find them, then the problem might have been with you. You don't have to go to cheesecake factory. Perhaps the reason you kept seeing people like that was because you yourself, while you lived here for all of 6 years, had a similar mindset.
You are so right! What could I possibly know about NoVA after 6 years there (plus living/traveling all over the US as a military spouse), compared to being a native Virginian and living exclusively in NoVA?

It helps that newcomers can read posts from a person who touts NoVA living as superior to all other parts of the US and learn how they are supposed to think and behave when they arrive in NoVA.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This whole "true Virginian" stuff is garbage. You are a Virginian if your residence is in Virginia.
Alanboy,

Having grown up in the Tidewater, I think there are some standards for being a Virginian beyond having residence in Virginia. In my experience, the following are critical:
  • If you throw any kind of party, you must serve biscuits with thinly sliced Smithfield ham inside
  • It is acceptable to drink scotch, but when somebody says "whiskey," a Virginian must automatically assume that the word refers to whiskey made from corn.
  • You should assume the superiority of the great Commonwealth of Virginia in all things, perhaps referring to yourself as "American by birth, but Virginian by the grace of God" and making frequent references to "The Mother of Presidents." You will score extra points for knowingly noting that the first Thanksgiving was, in fact, held in Virginia but graciously pointing out that Virginians are far too gentlemanly to deign to argue with the the lies and vile calumny spread by Yankees who insist that those "pilgrim" fellows were first.
  • You must look down on all things from North Carolina as inferior, referring to a rolling stop, for example, as a "Carolina stop." The two notable exceptions to this rule are that it is ok to go to the Outer Banks and it is painfully accepted that North Carolina makes the best pork barbecue on earth. In fact, most Virginians refer to pork barbecue as "Carolina barbecue."
  • Just as some Northern Virginians like to lump the rest of the very diverse Commonwealth into a single "RoVa," many of those outside of Nova like to joke about everything north of the Rappahannock as "occupied Virginia."
If you can do all of these things, I think it is reasonable to call yourself a "real Virginian" even if you weren't born in the Commonwealth. In any case, if you can do these things with a straight face, people will think you're a "real Virginian."

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Alanboy,

Having grown up in the Tidewater, I think there are some standards for being a Virginian beyond having residence in Virginia. In my experience, the following are critical:
  • If you throw any kind of party, you must serve biscuits with thinly sliced Smithfield ham inside
  • It is acceptable to drink scotch, but when somebody says "whiskey," a Virginian must automatically assume that the word refers to whiskey made from corn.
  • You should assume the superiority of the great Commonwealth of Virginia in all things, perhaps referring to yourself as "American by birth, but Virginian by the grace of God" and making frequent references to "The Mother of Presidents." You will score extra points for knowingly noting that the first Thanksgiving was, in fact, held in Virginia but graciously pointing out that Virginians are far too gentlemanly to deign to argue with the the lies and vile calumny spread by Yankees who insist that those "pilgrim" fellows were first.
  • You must look down on all things from North Carolina as inferior, referring to a rolling stop, for example, as a "Carolina stop." The two notable exceptions to this rule are that it is ok to go to the Outer Banks and it is painfully accepted that North Carolina makes the best pork barbecue on earth. In fact, most Virginians refer to pork barbecue as "Carolina barbecue."
  • Just as some Northern Virginians like to lump the rest of the very diverse Commonwealth into a single "RoVa," many of those outside of Nova like to joke about everything north of the Rappahannock as "occupied Virginia."
If you can do all of these things, I think it is reasonable to call yourself a "real Virginian" even if you weren't born in the Commonwealth. In any case, if you can do these things with a straight face, people will think you're a "real Virginian."
Hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia