Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 13,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
How will your children go to school on-post if you don't live on-post? To be honest, I would prefer to go to schools off-post anyway. Belvoir Elementary (the only school on post) is very overcrowded.

I called the school and was told since my hubby is active duty and as long as we stay in Fairfax county our children can go there.

Since we don't know much about the area and our children will be in a completely different environment, if they attend belvoir my Husband will always be close by. Also, we've heard its a pretty good school (from other military families).

What are some other high ranked elementary on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
The Aventine are apartments in Alexandria city, if my googling is correct. No way your kids will go to school at Belvoir then, since that's an FCPS school. The area is fine.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is the correct Zip. My home is perched on a hill. I can see 95 traffic and Fort Belvoir's runway a few miles away. A matter of fact it seems the aircraft use my house as a marker to follow to align with the runway.

Awesome, we'll absolutely check that zip out, thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The Aventine are apartments in Alexandria city, if my googling is correct. No way your kids will go to school at Belvoir then, since that's an FCPS school. The area is fine.
So, Alexandria city isn't in Fairfax county? Is Alexandria in Fairfax county?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM

652 posts, read 1,303,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarthen07 View Post
I called the school and was told since my hubby is active duty and as long as we stay in Fairfax county our children can go there.
Interesting ... never heard that before! There are lots of great elementary schools in NOVA. We personally lived in 22152 and the schools were terrific. I don't think Belvoir Elementary is a bad school, just overcrowded. At one point, the number of students per class was high. We've been gone 18 months though so don't know how it is now.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarthen07 View Post
So, Alexandria city isn't in Fairfax county? Is Alexandria in Fairfax county?
No, The City of Alexandria is its own separate school system. There are parts of Fairfax county on that area that will have an Alexandria address but are not in their city limits. In Virginia cities and counties are two separate governmental jurisdictions along with their schools. So be sure when you are looking at Alexandria it is actually Fairfax county. Clear as mud?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM

214 posts, read 487,750 times
Isn't the housing allowance much higher that $2000? My friend just rented to a youngish military family and their allowance was around $2700. ?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
Isn't the housing allowance much higher that $2000? My friend just rented to a youngish military family and their allowance was around $2700. ?
The allowance varies based on rank/duty station

BAH Calculator

Oh, and there is also one rate for single with no dependents (typically spouse/kids) and another rate for those with at least one dependent--but it doesn't go up any more after that first dependent--so an 03 stationed at Belvoir with a spouse and no kids, gets the same BAH as an 03 stationed at Belvoir with a spouse and 5 kids.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,303,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
The allowance varies based on rank/duty station

BAH Calculator

Oh, and there is also one rate for single with no dependents (typically spouse/kids) and another rate for those with at least one dependent--but it doesn't go up any more after that first dependent--so an 03 stationed at Belvoir with a spouse and no kids, gets the same BAH as an 03 stationed at Belvoir with a spouse and 5 kids.
Right ... and, ideally, the BAH amount would cover utilities, garbage service, renter's insurance, etc. Once you include those costs, it reduces the amount you're able to spend on the actual rent.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 AM

214 posts, read 487,750 times
oh, that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia