U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 11,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
No, The City of Alexandria is its own separate school system. There are parts of Fairfax county on that area that will have an Alexandria address but are not in their city limits. In Virginia cities and counties are two separate governmental jurisdictions along with their schools. So be sure when you are looking at Alexandria it is actually Fairfax county. Clear as mud?

Yes, clear as mud lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
Right ... and, ideally, the BAH amount would cover utilities, garbage service, renter's insurance, etc. Once you include those costs, it reduces the amount you're able to spend on the actual rent.
Rich on target
our allowance will be $2700 as well nd we were wanting it to cover rent and the extras, but for us to move into a home that.compares to what we own now (here at home) we will have to come out of pocket...which is fine.

We're interested in a home in Lorton , zip code 22079..... is that a nice area with good schools?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,684,754 times
I know that due to overcrowding and less than steller rankings (not sure which rating) the schools on belvoir now allow parents who live on base to be transported OFF base to attend local elementary schools. This year my daughter has 6 kids in her 3rd grade class that live on base. I think the school saw a 100+ kids due to this.

Take a look at 22315 and 22310 - Kingstowne and Island creek areas. You can find a TH in Kingstowne for about $2500 (single car garage) $2700 for 2 car garage - and less for no garage. Bump that down by about $200 each for living in Island creek. Both are a 2 minute drive outside Belvoir's gate at Beulah and Telegraph.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I know that due to overcrowding and less than steller rankings (not sure which rating) the schools on belvoir now allow parents who live on base to be transported OFF base to attend local elementary schools. This year my daughter has 6 kids in her 3rd grade class that live on base. I think the school saw a 100+ kids due to this.

Take a look at 22315 and 22310 - Kingstowne and Island creek areas. You can find a TH in Kingstowne for about $2500 (single car garage) $2700 for 2 car garage - and less for no garage. Bump that down by about $200 each for living in Island creek. Both are a 2 minute drive outside Belvoir's gate at Beulah and Telegraph.

That's the second time someone has mentioned 22315....we've looked in that zip but have yet to find a home that has all we will need and of course want

Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarthen07 View Post
That's the second time someone has mentioned 22315....we've looked in that zip but have yet to find a home that has all we will need and of course want
It is a tough market right outside Belvoir - because it also allows easy access to the metro/I95/495.

Have you checked Militarybyowner.com? Not sure when you moving, but the summer moves will start to be posted in the next 6 weeks or so.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Just went onto MBO and saw a few rentals. Some thing interesting is I saw two TH's for rent on Trask Terrace (one of the newer areas of Kingstowne) one was for $2500 (which is a good price) and the other for $3100. They won't get $3100 for a TH in Kingstowne - not when you get a SFh for almost that.

I have a friend on Trask and the house for $3K isn't much different from theirs. Nothing really special. If it were me I would go for the lower one. It is a rental - and temporary. Trask is a very crowded close together area. Some others are more spread out. Always go to google and do street view to see what it actually looks like. Reality and realty don't always go hand in hand

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Just went onto MBO and saw a few rentals. Some thing interesting is I saw two TH's for rent on Trask Terrace (one of the newer areas of Kingstowne) one was for $2500 (which is a good price) and the other for $3100. They won't get $3100 for a TH in Kingstowne - not when you get a SFh for almost that.

I have a friend on Trask and the house for $3K isn't much different from theirs. Nothing really special. If it were me I would go for the lower one. It is a rental - and temporary. Trask is a very crowded close together area. Some others are more spread out. Always go to google and do street view to see what it actually looks like. Reality and realty don't always go hand in hand

You've got it right about that, reality &realty don't always go hand in hand! You van take all the pictures you want, but there's nothing like seeing it yourself.
A new "city" has popped up....how is Dumfries, zip code 22025?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,818,180 times
Quote:
You've got it right about that, reality &realty don't always go hand in hand! You van take all the pictures you want, but there's nothing like seeing it yourself.
This is what many who are not from the area find themselves doing--moving farther and farther south, down 95 encountering some of the worst traffic in the US. Having grown up in the whole entire area it seems, DC, MD and Va I'd hover around Lorton, Springfield, Kingstown area. Easy access to base, all major highways, easy access to DC and MD, good schools, low crime.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM

664 posts, read 1,618,348 times
Quote:
Is that Montclair? I know the Montclair section of Dumfries has it's own zipcode. Montclair is very nice, I have some friends who live there and they all LOVE their neighborhood. But I agree with a PP that the further south you go, the worse the traffic is going to be.

ETA: I had to go back and look at your OP to remember what your acceptable commute, etc. was...There is no way I'd consider Montclair/Dumfries to be "very close" to Belvoir, conisdering traffic in the mornings...especially if you want your kids to go to school on base.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM

613 posts, read 1,053,128 times
22079 and 22315 will be VERY close to Belvoir. 22152 and 22153 are fine too although slightly further away. Of course, it depends where on Belvoir your husband is going to work. Sometimes you can make it to post in 20 minutes and then spend another 20 actually getting to the parking lot of your building! For the absolute shortest commute, figure out what side of post he'll be working on and look at neighborhoods outside that particular gate.

I second the cautionary words about Dumfries. I know it's tempting to look at Google maps and say to yourself, "It's only 20 miles ... it can't be that bad." It is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia