U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM

29 posts, read 35,815 times

Advertisements

I am new to NoVa, and I have always lived around Tysons corner ever since I came here. I recently found some very nice condos about 2 miles south of the Kingstowne mall on Kingstowne Village Parkway. The whole Franconia/Kingstowne/Springfield area is completely new to me (I couldnít locate it on map until 3 weeks ago!).

What do you guys think of Kingstowne? I am a single professional guy who is looking to live close to DC because of work, but at the same time I am not a city person. I like to live in a quiet suburban type of setting and still be close to the malls and the city.

Kingstowne does not look as diverse as Tysons corner. The traffic seems okay (I have only seen it on weekends). The malls are good but of course not as good as tysons corner (no AMC?! ). Reston/Bethesda/College Park are realllly far away. But it's quiet and BEAUTIFUL!

If you live there, can you please share what you think of it, what you like, what you donít like? How are the malls / crime level / schools / the city gym / people / restaurants / convenience of driving to downtown or georgetwon or dupont circle / commute to downtown?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyavaNoVa View Post
I am new to NoVa, and I have always lived around Tysons corner ever since I came here. I recently found some very nice condos about 2 miles south of the Kingstowne mall on Kingstowne Village Parkway. The whole Franconia/Kingstowne/Springfield area is completely new to me (I couldnít locate it on map until 3 weeks ago!).

What do you guys think of Kingstowne? I am a single professional guy who is looking to live close to DC because of work, but at the same time I am not a city person. I like to live in a quiet suburban type of setting and still be close to the malls and the city.

Kingstowne does not look as diverse as Tysons corner. The traffic seems okay (I have only seen it on weekends). The malls are good but of course not as good as tysons corner (no AMC?! ). Reston/Bethesda/College Park are realllly far away. But it's quiet and BEAUTIFUL!

If you live there, can you please share what you think of it, what you like, what you donít like? How are the malls / crime level / schools / the city gym / people / restaurants / convenience of driving to downtown or georgetwon or dupont circle / commute to downtown?

Thanks.
I shopped in Kingstowne and when mom ends up back in NoVA she is targeting Kingstowne.

I really like it. It has a lot of stores, restaurants, and low crime. Not the best area for a commute to downtown DC but there are worse and the fixed WW bridge helps a bit. The area is right in between Landmark and Springfield Malls which are absolute embarassments. Overall I like it.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 35,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I shopped in Kingstowne and when mom ends up back in NoVA she is targeting Kingstowne.

I really like it. It has a lot of stores, restaurants, and low crime. Not the best area for a commute to downtown DC but there are worse and the fixed WW bridge helps a bit. The area is right in between Landmark and Springfield Malls which are absolute embarassments. Overall I like it.
Thanks! What about Kingstowne mall itself? Is there much going on there?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM

160 posts, read 236,637 times
Kingstowne doesn't have a mall, it is just a big outdoor shopping center. Certainly nicer than about any strip mall around, but it would never be mistaken for a real mall. The movie theater there is a Regal, but there are 16 screens

We spend a fair amount of time shopping and dining there, and we live in W. Springfield.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,698,520 times
I live in Kingstowne, off of KVP, although in a SFH, but have also lived in a TH here. Traffic in the interior part of Kingstowne is very good. It only gets bad along Van Dorn and Kingstowne Parkway around the shopping center. And bad is relative compared to other areas in the country. Also gets a little freaky around the HS getting out. We have two pools, two fitness centers, tennis courts etc. Lots of trails and easy access to groceries etc, with 4 stores within a two minute drive. We are also getting a Wegmans at the intersection of Bealuh and Telegraph, which will bring more shopping and dining.

I work out in one of the gyms everyday and see and talk to lots of young singles. there are quite a few activities for singles w/the HOA.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM

493 posts, read 1,010,485 times
The only thing I've found lacking in Kingstowne is that there's no bookstore. But if there'd been a Borders, obviously it'd be gone, too!
I like the shopping options (Giant grocery store, Safeway grocery store, Kohls, HomeGoods; I stay away from WalMarts in general), and I go to the movies there occasionally (if I'm not going to Shirlington or the Fair Oaks area).
Will really love it if I'm still around when Wegmans finally opens.

There's also a farmers market in the Giant parking lot area.

For "mall" shopping, take the quick trip down to Potomac Mills outlet center instead of Springfield or Landmark malls. Or you could go to Tysons.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 AM

957 posts, read 1,298,725 times
Don't worry, there are a couple of bookstores in the greater Kingstowne area too. There's a Barnes and Noble at the Loisdale Center a couple of miles away. And there's a locally-owned used book store called Book Rack that has been hanging on for years. Book Rack is in the Festival Shopping Center on Manchester Blvd, which is the main road that cuts through Kingstowne. The Festival Shopping Center has Shoppers Food Warehouse as the main anchor store.

It is within walking distance of Kingstowne Shopping Center if you don't mind walking. I don't know the exact distance but I would say about a mile. Of course, there are some people that consider anything more than 100 feet unacceptable and climb into their cars to make the trek!

Last edited by ersatz; 03-10-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,580,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
The only thing I've found lacking in Kingstowne is that there's no bookstore. But if there'd been a Borders, obviously it'd be gone, too!
There was a borders right next to Home Depot/Staples, and there's a Barnes and Noble by DSW/BB&B. Both are technically Springfield, but they're at most 10 minutes from the Kingstowne shopping center (less if you make the lights).

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,595 times
I think Kingstowne sounds just like what you're looking for.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,092,091 times
I live in Springfield. I do most of my shopping and dining in Kingstowne which I find to be convenient and enjoyable.
The nearest AMC theater is at the Hoffman Center about five miles away. I do my "big" shopping at Potomac Mills which also has AMC theaters.
I know a couple who live in Kingstowne and I'm pretty sure they once told me that on top of their HOA dues there are also "Kingstowne dues." I'm not sure how that works. I once had neighbors, a young couple, who moved to my neighborhood from Kingstowne because they said the traffic was so bad there. That's all I know about living in there, but if I were in the housing market I would definitely consider Kingstowne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia