U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM

161 posts, read 330,358 times

Advertisements

IThat time of year again. We are still open to ideas on the east coast. Care to share your plans for families with kids under 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM

49 posts, read 124,808 times
We're planning/considering a road trip to Niagara Falls on the Canada side. Also, it looks like there's a lot to do other than the falls. Check out: Niagara Falls Tourism Official Website Niagara Falls Ontario Canada.

It's about an 8 hr trip (407 miles) from Fairfax. I just saw a friends set of pics of her recent trip up there and it looks cold. We're hoping it warms up a bit. We've got a 3 yr old and 7 yr old girls. We hope they'll enjoy it.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM

664 posts, read 1,623,579 times
Our kids are 12, 10, 7, and 5.

This year, we are going to the Everglades and will also stop for one day in Busch Gardens Tampa.

Last year, we went to New York City for 3 days, the kids loved it!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the recs!

We have friends who took their family to Niagra Falls this past year and the kids had a blast. I think they went during the summer so it was a bit warmer. It's certainly a place where we'd like to go but maybe during warmer weather.

The Everglades sound interesting. We watch a lot of Animal Planet and TLC shows so it would be educational. I'll have to look into that one.

New York City is one place I've been considering. What activities did your kids enjoy in the Big City?

Thanks for posting your plans

Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,530,433 times
I wouldn't want to go to Niagra Falls anytime but summer - upstate New York (or the preferable Canada - much better views) is not a place to be anytime "cool".

We went to Orlando a few Spring Breaks ago and had a warm 9-day blast - best vacation in MY almost-60 lifetime - resolving a promise I had made to my daughter to hit Disneyworld by the time she was 10.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM

664 posts, read 1,623,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceomom703 View Post
Thanks for the recs!

We have friends who took their family to Niagra Falls this past year and the kids had a blast. I think they went during the summer so it was a bit warmer. It's certainly a place where we'd like to go but maybe during warmer weather.

The Everglades sound interesting. We watch a lot of Animal Planet and TLC shows so it would be educational. I'll have to look into that one.

New York City is one place I've been considering. What activities did your kids enjoy in the Big City?

Thanks for posting your plans
In NYC we started each day very early (leaving hotel around 8 am--we stayed in a hotel in Jersey city and took the PATH in) and coming back late, like 10 pm or later.

Our Itinerary, in order:

Day 1:

-Empire State Building
-stopped quickly at the Public library
-Tenement Museum tour NYC Walking Tours - Tenement Museum (we did the Victoria Confino tour)
-lunch in Chinatown (just walked around until we found a place that looked good)
-Metropolitan Museum of Art--my kids especially loved the armor exhibit here, but there is a lot to see that kids will enjoy! I think we spent about 4 hours here!
-Times Square/ride the ferris wheel at Toys R Us
For dinner, we had snacked a lot as we went through the evening, and then ordered a pizza at our hotel room that night.

Day 2:
-American Museum of Natural History...all day! We literally got there at opening and left when it closed. My kids probably could have still spent several more hours there. HUGE hit! We stopped briefly to have a lunch of hot dogs/gyros from a cart outside. For dinner afterwards we went to Shake Shack, I had heard great things about it.
-Top of the Rock at Rockefeller plaza at night

Day 3:
-Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. We had tickets to go to the base of the statue, but not up to the top. I think you have to reserve those months in advance...I only reserved a couple weeks in advance.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM

49 posts, read 124,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasdad View Post
We're planning/considering a road trip to Niagara Falls on the Canada side. Also, it looks like there's a lot to do other than the falls. Check out: Niagara Falls Tourism Official Website Niagara Falls Ontario Canada.

It's about an 8 hr trip (407 miles) from Fairfax. I just saw a friends set of pics of her recent trip up there and it looks cold. We're hoping it warms up a bit. We've got a 3 yr old and 7 yr old girls. We hope they'll enjoy it.
Update to previous post. After talking over the Niagara Falls plans with the wife, we decided to change destination. We decided to go to Niagara Falls when it's a bit warmer..plus, I think the Maid of the Mist is not in operation just yet. Our new destination will be south; Biltmore in Asheville, NC. I hear it's beautiful this time of year. Looks like we'll be spending 2 full days (as suggested on their website) there to take in and see mostly everything. We anticipate driving 7-8 hrs each way.

We'll be staying at the Homewood Suites (one of our favorite hotels to stay) because of their free breakfasts and dinners (mon-thurs).

Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasdad View Post
Update to previous post. After talking over the Niagara Falls plans with the wife, we decided to change destination. We decided to go to Niagara Falls when it's a bit warmer..plus, I think the Maid of the Mist is not in operation just yet. Our new destination will be south; Biltmore in Asheville, NC. I hear it's beautiful this time of year. Looks like we'll be spending 2 full days (as suggested on their website) there to take in and see mostly everything. We anticipate driving 7-8 hrs each way.

We'll be staying at the Homewood Suites (one of our favorite hotels to stay) because of their free breakfasts and dinners (mon-thurs).
Last year's we went to NC to go mining and although we were only 30 minutes from Asheville we didn't make it to the Biltmore. The whole area is beautiful. Hope your family enjoys it.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
In NYC we started each day very early (leaving hotel around 8 am--we stayed in a hotel in Jersey city and took the PATH in) and coming back late, like 10 pm or later.

Our Itinerary, in order:

Day 1:

-Empire State Building
-stopped quickly at the Public library
-Tenement Museum tour NYC Walking Tours - Tenement Museum (we did the Victoria Confino tour)
-lunch in Chinatown (just walked around until we found a place that looked good)
-Metropolitan Museum of Art--my kids especially loved the armor exhibit here, but there is a lot to see that kids will enjoy! I think we spent about 4 hours here!
-Times Square/ride the ferris wheel at Toys R Us
For dinner, we had snacked a lot as we went through the evening, and then ordered a pizza at our hotel room that night.

Day 2:
-American Museum of Natural History...all day! We literally got there at opening and left when it closed. My kids probably could have still spent several more hours there. HUGE hit! We stopped briefly to have a lunch of hot dogs/gyros from a cart outside. For dinner afterwards we went to Shake Shack, I had heard great things about it.
-Top of the Rock at Rockefeller plaza at night

Day 3:
-Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. We had tickets to go to the base of the statue, but not up to the top. I think you have to reserve those months in advance...I only reserved a couple weeks in advance.
Thanks for sharing this sounds great!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 16,335 times
Great ideas I hope there are some more. I took the week off to be with the kids and wanted to take them somewhere. I was looking into Great Wolf Lodge but its 499 a night during spring break. Crazy. I checked the weeks after and it goes down to 219 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia