U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,379 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion regarding Ashburn and Sterling. My husband and I will be relocating to NOVA (he will be working in Mclean/Tysons Corner) and we are exploring different communities. While I understand Vienna and Oakton to be the most convenient in regards to commute, we'd also like to consider areas which may be a bit more affordable, yet deliver him home at night at a reasonable hour. We are also looking at Reston as a possibility. We have 3 children, so community, schools and ammenities are important to us as well. Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited by biddle; 09-10-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

71 posts, read 291,710 times
Any of the places you mention can serve you well. Naturally, your income and price point will drive your decision. The commute to Tyson's from any of those locales is generally manageable. Vienna/Oakton commutes are relatively easy, Sterling/Ashburn commutes can have their moments. If you're looking for new homes in a growing commuinty, Ashburn's the place. If you're looking for older homes, mature neighborhoods and shorter commutes, than any of the other places you mention fit the bill. Sterling is kind of a little of both. A NoVa realtor can be of assistance with helping you narrow down your search.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM

71 posts, read 291,710 times
All that being said, we live in Ashburn and love it. We also work here so commuting is not an issue. There's lots for us and our children to do. We love the schools and we've got all the "stuff" you need to make a place your home. Good restuarants, shopping, recreation, etc. We're happy with our decision to live in Ashburn.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM

76 posts, read 312,600 times
Hi - I highly recommend the Potomac Falls area of Sterling - Cascades community in particular. We are right off Fairfax County parkway and the commute to tysons is very doable. My guess is it is about 15 min closer in than Ashburn. Both communities have great schools, check greatschools.net for specifics. We picked cascades due to very close proximity to commuting and shopping. It only takes 10 min to get to Reston Town Center, and we are 5 min from Dulles Town Center. Ashburn is now getting built up with more shopping and dining as well. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
I used to live in Ashburn. Ashburn is Kid Central. Tons of families. It's your quintessential planned suburbia with manmade lakes and soccer fields and jogging paths and baseball fields liberally scattered around. It's heavily residential and new. It's largely sprung up from scratch within the past 15 years. It's divided up into several different sections and each section has it's own rec center and a large strip mall that meets most of your daily shopping needs although for more shopping (big box and indoor malls), you'd have to travel to Sterling. Commuting is a pain. The roads have not been built to accomodate all the growth, but that's pretty much the case in the entire DC area.

Sterling is 10=15 minutes closer in, with an older housing stock and a more diverse population (in age, economic level and ethnicity), and the schools as a whole aren't as well-performing as those in Ashburn. Sterling has several different parts that have a different character. The Potomac Falls and Cascades areas cited by mroy are very nice and newer than most of the rest of Sterling.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,640,844 times
The Potomac Falls and Cascades areas of sterling are the only areas I'd look in for good schools, good neighborhoods etc....it is all thats postive about Sterling.

Ashburn is a nice big HUGE planned community has tons of kids, good schools and loads of amienties.

The Leesburg area is a little futher out but the commute isn't that bad (mornings are better if you leave between 6-6:30 then it's 45-1 hour) evenings always run longer but if you leave after 5:30 it's much better...an hour . (but at 4:30-5:30 it will take 90min) Leesburg is alittle more affordable than Ashburn. The schools here are very good as well and there are tons of familites and kids activites. Plus we have a cool historic downtown, that has concerts on the cout house lawn in the summers etc...

But...with all that being said I wouldn't give up on Vienna area...right now is a great time to buy and you may find a nice house very close to work. Of course it will be older and smaller than one in Ashburn but... being close to work is HUGE!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,156 times
can anyone tell me how to commute from ashburn village blvd to mclean? Any transportation facility is there or if you know any carpooling.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
The Potomac Falls and Cascades areas of sterling are the only areas I'd look in for good schools, good neighborhoods etc....it is all thats postive about Sterling.
Just a question, why isn't Countryside and that whole part north of 7 considered as good (20165? you know, along Algonkian and Cascades)? I don't mind "older" homes, just wondering about safety. I always thought Sterling Park is the only "bad" part of Sterling. We're looking at a house/TH to buy and Countryside seems really reasonable. Sorry, don't want to steal the thread.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM

446 posts, read 1,222,725 times
What a timely thread. My wife and I are seriously looking to buy in the Sterling area now that our home in Kansas is due to close in February. I have been told that Countryside is a good place to look. Seems the homes are a little better inside Algonkian than outside, but that's just my opinion based on the few times we have looked there. Have you considered Herndon? There seems to be some nice areas north of the Herndon Parkway up to and past Wiehle.

We considered Ashburn but it seems a bit too far out; I work in Tysons and the drive from where we are renting in Sterling is long enough for me anyway.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Just a question, why isn't Countryside and that whole part north of 7 considered as good (20165? you know, along Algonkian and Cascades)? I don't mind "older" homes, just wondering about safety. I always thought Sterling Park is the only "bad" part of Sterling. We're looking at a house/TH to buy and Countryside seems really reasonable. Sorry, don't want to steal the thread.
I think many people think Countryside is part of Cascades. Countryside is definitely a nice, older neighborhood. My favorite of all the neighborhoods in cascades is Lowes Island, but really all of Cascades is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or