U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are you for Phase 2 of the silver line coming to Loudoun?
Yes 39 75.00%
No 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Reputation: 1495

Advertisements

Just chiming in, even if you dont use the metro, the existence of it removing significant amounts of people off of the toll roads and route 7 every day will improve your own commute. I would still say you should use the metro, I mean there is such a good bus network and soon to be rail network that I doubt you "can't use it" unless you legitimately work in a random place like north vienna.

You can metro to Tysons, and from Tysons there is a massive bus network that goes everywhere from Falls Church to Vienna to wherever. Is it less convenient? Sure, but this country has been living an irrealistic lifestyle for 50 years now where gas prices were held 60% less than comparable economies around the world, toll roads in this region are a pittance compared to those in Jersey, Penn, NY, etc

You are going to have to come to terms with the fact that cheap driving isn't a free right, its gonna cost extra, but hopefully the options for mass transit will make it so you dont have to lose a job because you can't afford to drive there.

5 dollar gas is going to be a reality in 3 months when the winter to summer mix change occurs, we are currently above 4 dollars, and this mix change usually accounts for 35 cent surcharge. Add on top of that the fact that fuel consumption goes up in summer months which causes higher demand and higher gas prices and we are almost certain to hit it. Is it the end of the world? No, Europe has had 6-9 dollar gas in many of its cities and regions for a decade now, and they still can get around when needed. What they did is rely on biofuels and alternatives which became more viable when oil prices skyrocketed. More so than fuel alternatives, they simply changed their methodologies in life, instead of superfluous vehicle trips they started walking and biking to the local grocery store. They started taking bus and rail to work, etc.

I take transit/drive infrequently to work and my monthly cost for transportation is 40 dollars. I can get into DC and home 3 times faster than when I used to drive, I don't have to worry about getting into a car accident with a complacent driver, and because it takes me so little time I can make myself nice dinners, go on walks with my girlfriend around town, and in general spend more time doing things I want to do instead of mandatory daily activities.

I would argue that people shouldn't be afraid of this kind of lifestyle, embrace it as a way to find out what really matters in life instead of loving your car as a symbol of your freedom. If there has been any one symbol of oppression and lack of freedom in the past 10 years in this country it has been the car; rising car payments, rising insurance costs, and of course rising gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
 
37 posts, read 69,309 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Again, just because it has an "ashburn" address, does not mean its "in ashburn". You say tomato I say tomäto. The median of the greenway is NOT ashburn to me, and never will be, especially not where the LoCo Pkwy intersects it. That said, honestly I could care less. The station(s) is (are) still barely in Loudoun.
I thought there will be only 2 stations in Ashburn, Loudoun Station (20147, off Shellhorn Road) and one in Moorefield Station Rt 722.

So if Rt 722 is not in Ashburn, which station are they planning for in Ashburn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
 
267 posts, read 441,121 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
As a resident of Sterling (very close to the airport) I voted yay. I use the metro a lot since I hate parking in DC, so I would love being able to have a station closer to home.

Also, right now the only reasonable way to get out of here is either Route 7 or the Dulles Toll Road. It can't scale up anymore. Mass transit is overdue for this region.
You do know they're building a station at Dulles right? That's just as close as Ashburn.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought phase 2 was solely about expanding into Ashburn. And the Dulles station will be built even if phase 2 gets the axe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post
I thought there will be only 2 stations in Ashburn, Loudoun Station (20147, off Shellhorn Road) and one in Moorefield Station Rt 722.

So if Rt 722 is not in Ashburn, which station are they planning for in Ashburn?
There are only two stations planned past the airport station; the first is Route 606, the second is Route 772. Silver Line map

Loudoun Station is the development to the north/east of the Route 772 Metro station; Moorefield Station is the development to the south/west of the Route 772 Metro station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
2,842 posts, read 1,436,997 times
Reputation: 2301
Yeah, you're correct. The Dulles station IS being built. The only thing up in the air are the two stations afterwards, which, like caps said, don't really even go too far into Loudoun itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
Reputation: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
You do know they're building a station at Dulles right? That's just as close as Ashburn.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought phase 2 was solely about expanding into Ashburn. And the Dulles station will be built even if phase 2 gets the axe.

phase 1, which is now under construction, and expected to open in 2013, terminates in Reston.

Phase 2 provides service to Herndon, rte 28, Dulles, and Loudoun. Fairfax and MWAA have made it clear that if Loudoun drops out, they still intend to complete the project to Dulles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
Reputation: 2508
BTW, if Loudoun does drop out, what happens to the TOD zones Loudoun has established close to the stations? Do they get downzoned? IIUC they are already under construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
You do know they're building a station at Dulles right? That's just as close as Ashburn.
There is no commuter parking planned for the Dulles station. Phase 2 Fact Sheet (http://www.dullesmetro.com/pdfs/12MAR09_FINAL-Phase-2-Fact-sheet-v2-%282%29.pdf - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,037 posts, read 8,066,657 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Again, just because it has an "ashburn" address, does not mean its "in ashburn". You say tomato I say tomäto. The median of the greenway is NOT ashburn to me, and never will be, especially not where the LoCo Pkwy intersects it. That said, honestly I could care less. The station(s) is (are) still barely in Loudoun.
Sir or mam. Please remain calm. I'm going to interject and beg to differ with you. If it has an Ashburn address its in Ashburn. Why? Because Ashburn at the end of the day is not a real city or town. Its not incorporated. It has no mayor or town council. Since its not a real city you can't argue over and over what someone puts as their address. When there isn't a real town boundary one has to rely on zip code boundaries. I've always understood Brambleton to be a part of Ashburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
 
267 posts, read 441,121 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
There is no commuter parking planned for the Dulles station. Phase 2 Fact Sheet (http://www.dullesmetro.com/pdfs/12MAR09_FINAL-Phase-2-Fact-sheet-v2-%282%29.pdf - broken link)
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't it be significantly cheaper to build a few extra parking garages at Dulles rather than 3 additional metro stations? I wouldn't think the current (or future) population density in Ashburn/eastern Loudoun warrants a station every 5 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top