U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for Phase 2 of the silver line coming to Loudoun?
Yes 39 75.00%
No 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM

2,842 posts, read 1,436,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
BTW, if Loudoun does drop out, what happens to the TOD zones Loudoun has established close to the stations? Do they get downzoned? IIUC they are already under construction?

Yeah, lol. I was driving on Shellhorn Rd the other day next to the new apartments that will make up Loudoun Station and one of the roads there is already named "Metro Center Drive".

Loudoun Station is already being put up. Moorefield is still nothingness though, but I'm curious as to what will happen too? Maybe just a giant "Brambleton" style town center or something I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,684,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't it be significantly cheaper to build a few extra parking garages at Dulles rather than 3 additional metro stations? I wouldn't think the current (or future) population density in Ashburn/eastern Loudoun warrants a station every 5 miles.

Im pretty sure MWAA doesnt want lots of commuters driving into new garages in the middle of the airport - im not sure theres a good place for them next to the airport station anyway.

Having them commute to Rte 28 or Herndon (via car or bus) WOULD be an option - thats what we get if the Loudoun stations are not built. That has savings, but also has its disadvantages.

I can't speak for Loudoun - for Fairfax it means less congestion relief to the Toll Road west of herndon - and to the extent it results in more people from Loudoun driving all the way to Tysons, it retards the transformation of Tysons. OTOH by eliminating (presumably?) the TOD in Loudoun, it reduces competition with the TOD in Herndon, Reston, and Tysons. Maybe even knock on effects to the Mosaic district, and south along the beltway.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't it be significantly cheaper to build a few extra parking garages at Dulles rather than 3 additional metro stations? I wouldn't think the current (or future) population density in Ashburn/eastern Loudoun warrants a station every 5 miles.

You'd be surprised. Have you left in the morning and went to Waxpool rd to 28 in the morning? It gets packed there. I never realized how massive Ashburn is til I explored...it's pretty big. And the south part of Ashburn will continue to develop for years to come. I'm glad they're doing something now rather than wait a few years and traffic leaving Ashburn will be back up forever.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM

267 posts, read 441,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
You'd be surprised. Have you left in the morning and went to Waxpool rd to 28 in the morning? It gets packed there. I never realized how massive Ashburn is til I explored...it's pretty big. And the south part of Ashburn will continue to develop for years to come. I'm glad they're doing something now rather than wait a few years and traffic leaving Ashburn will be back up forever.
I get that. But the way Ashburn is designed traffic is always going to be an issue.

Also, high density housing tends to spring up around metro stations which is only going to exacerbate the traffic problems.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,468,920 times
Traffic leaving Ashburn ALREADY backs up forever. Trying to get out Waxpool to 28 to the Toll Road can take upwards of 30 minutes during the morning rush. It's insane and the reason I've stopped recommending Ashburn as a place to live.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 19,876,953 times
Quote:
That's like saying "metro should have only been built for dc" It's stupid to say that people should only live in DC and that places like Loudoun are growing shouldn't be happening. Tell that to everyone else living in NOVA and Maryland. Hell, I never go to even go to DC. It's too small of a city for that many people already.
It's "stupid" to keep sprawling the Metro area further and further out. Who cares if you go to DC or not? It's not all about you. The Metro was built as commuter rail for Washington DC. The Silver Line was sold as rail to Dulles airport. That means Washington Dulles airport to Washington DC. The Loudon portion was tacked on to make it easier to sprawl out to Loudon County, and to make it easier to commute to Tysons Corner. That may be nice for you and all of the others who are stretching the sprawl out further and further, but quite a few others do not like it. That's my opinion. It's probably going to be built anyways, though, but that doesn't stop me from liking that people Loudon County might not want to pay for it.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Sir or mam. Please remain calm. I'm going to interject and beg to differ with you. If it has an Ashburn address its in Ashburn. Why? Because Ashburn at the end of the day is not a real city or town. Its not incorporated. It has no mayor or town council. Since its not a real city you can't argue over and over what someone puts as their address. When there isn't a real town boundary one has to rely on zip code boundaries. I've always understood Brambleton to be a part of Ashburn.
This reminds me of all the people who say they live in Alexandria, when they actually live in Fairfax County We could add in all of the other confusing areas like Fairfax, for example, if we wanted. The point is, the post office does not get to decide where boundaries lie. That's up to the local community to decide. The name Ashburn just means that is the post office that serves that area, it does not mean that that area is actually Ashburn. You're right that there are no official boundaries, but when, or if, there are boundaries set up, it's unlikely that they will match the current ZIP code boundaries.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's "stupid" to keep sprawling the Metro area further and further out. Who cares if you go to DC or not? It's not all about you. The Metro was built as commuter rail for Washington DC. The Silver Line was sold as rail to Dulles airport. That means Washington Dulles airport to Washington DC. The Loudon portion was tacked on to make it easier to sprawl out to Loudon County, and to make it easier to commute to Tysons Corner. That may be nice for you and all of the others who are stretching the sprawl out further and further, but quite a few others do not like it. That's my opinion. It's probably going to be built anyways, though, but that doesn't stop me from liking that people Loudon County might not want to pay for it.
You act as if it was my decision to make them wanna take it Loudoun. Lol again you might think its stupid. But truth is, no one cares if you think it's stupid.

You might be one of those people that think any development in fairfax county or Alexandria or any of nova is silly too. Yet people still chose to live there anyway. Lol. Some people don't want to pay nearly a million bucks to live in a cave in dc.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
You act as if it was my decision to make them wanna take it Loudoun. Lol again you might think its stupid. But truth is, no one cares if you think it's stupid.
No, I'm well aware that some people don't like my opinion. I didn't say it was your decision, but you are defending it.

Quote:
You might be one of those people that think any development in fairfax county or Alexandria or any of nova is silly too. Yet people still chose to live there anyway. Lol. Some people don't want to pay nearly a million bucks to live in a cave in dc.
Nope, never was one of those people. I've lived and worked in Fairfax County without any issues.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 AM

414 posts, read 787,191 times
Quote:

Are they really not putting any commuter parking at the end of the line? That seems crazy to me. SO what, everyone is going to walk from Brambleton, Broadlands and Ashburn to the metro? In case they have not noticed, those areas are not exactly what one would call "walking neighborhoods".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia