U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,760 times

Advertisements

I start my new job in Tyson's Corner this August and I need to relocate to NoVa area by mid summer or so. I have done whole lot of research on the areas to live(McLean, Tyson's Corner, Falls Church, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria) and I am just torn!!!! I have no idea where to look! I'm leaning towards Arlington, since it is not that far away from Tyson's Corner and offers a feeling of a big city I am looking for, but I like Tyson's for its close proximity. My problem is that I have NEVER been in either of these areas, I don't know NOBODY there and I just don't know where to live. I don't mind traffic, I don't mind 20-30 min commute to work, and I don't need to be near a metro line. I am looking for a fun place to live, meet people and enjoy life. My budget is $1,500-1,700/month for a studio/1-bedroom place.

Please help, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,066,765 times
Tyson's will get you more for your money but be less walkable, with less nightlife (if any). It's a bunch of office buildings and hotels, with a couple of malls and some strip shopping centers thrown in. That's gonna change in the next 10 years as they redevelop it and add Metro rail stations, but for now, it's gonna be cheaper but fairly boring.

I'd suggest looking for an apartment in Arlington along Lee Highway, west of Glebe. This is farther from the Metrorail stations, so rents are cheaper. (You're going to be driving to the job anyway, because the Metro to Tyson's won't be ready for several years.) But very safe and a relatively quick shot to Tyson's. (The closer you get to Ballston or East Falls Church stations, the more rents will be.)

Vienna is also a possibility, if you can find an apartment not near the Vienna Metro.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,703,590 times
Trying to change it as quick as possible, if VDOT would stop holding up the plans with a prolonged traffic study of futility. Traffic sucks in Tysons, whats existing can't get any worse, so lets just get this thing fixed instead of modelling out systems that are theoretical.

Anyways, go with Arlington, reconsider Tysons in 3 or 4 years if things get better.

I also encourage vienna if you want to purchase or need more space.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM

194 posts, read 191,730 times
Arlington. You won't meet many people in Tyson's. Like someone else said, it's more of a "daytime" population than anything. It's filled with people during the day who work in Tyson's, but it's pretty dead at night (except for maybe a Friday evening for Happy Hours). Next year when the Metro comes up and they build more residences and whatnot, it will be a nice place to live.

I used to stay in Arlington and commute to Tyson's. It wasn't bad at all. It's a nice reverse commute. I used to hop on 66 from Ballston and head onto Route 7 to Tyson's. Took me about 30 mins maximum. And you'll meet a ton of people in Arlington( just be weary of the stereotyical frat boys who still haven't got out the college mindset and like to pick fights still for no reason)

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 31,338 times
I commute from Arlington to Tysons Corner. In the morning it takes less than 20 minutes - the only traffic is a clog getting onto I66 West (I get on at Exit 69). Getting out of Tysons at the end of the day is a problem no matter which direction you're heading. Between 5 & 6 PM it can take 45 minutes for me to get home. Hopefully this will get better once the new Metro opens ... in 2013.

I definitely recommend living in Arlington over Tysons.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyguy View Post
I commute from Arlington to Tysons Corner. In the morning it takes less than 20 minutes - the only traffic is a clog getting onto I66 West (I get on at Exit 69). Getting out of Tysons at the end of the day is a problem no matter which direction you're heading. Between 5 & 6 PM it can take 45 minutes for me to get home. Hopefully this will get better once the new Metro opens ... in 2013.

I definitely recommend living in Arlington over Tysons.
Live in Arlington this year like I said, next year you might be able to get a better deal in Tysons. PS, in 1 year you'll be able to take metro out to Tysons which will be about a 10 minute metro ride for 2 bucks. Not a bad deal.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,760 times
Thanks for replies, everyone! I am more than positive that I'll be moving to Arlington soon.

Can you suggest any good neighborhoods tho? I read a lot about Clarendon and Ballston, but what about Pentagon and Courthouse, are they any good? I've never been to Arlington so my only judgement comes from online pictures and posts. I would love to stay away from fresh-off-the-college crowd and be closer to like mature mid20s-30s professionals. Safe, walkable neighborhood if possible. I honestly have no idea where to look. I am getting so overwhelmed and frustrated with this search. I plan on taking cpl trips to Arlington and just walk around and look, but again I don't even know where to start.

Please help!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,365,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimmelOC View Post
Thanks for replies, everyone! I am more than positive that I'll be moving to Arlington soon.

Can you suggest any good neighborhoods tho? I read a lot about Clarendon and Ballston, but what about Pentagon and Courthouse, are they any good? I've never been to Arlington so my only judgement comes from online pictures and posts. I would love to stay away from fresh-off-the-college crowd and be closer to like mature mid20s-30s professionals. Safe, walkable neighborhood if possible. I honestly have no idea where to look. I am getting so overwhelmed and frustrated with this search. I plan on taking cpl trips to Arlington and just walk around and look, but again I don't even know where to start.

Please help!
Pentagon City is in south Arlington, quite a ways from Ballston/Courthouse/Virginia Square/Clarendon (all along the Orange line). It would take you another 30 minutes to get to Tyson's from that part of south Arlington. I'd stick to the neighborhoods along the Orange Line. Rosslyn is a bit sterile as far as neighborhood life, but it's right across the bridge from Goeorgetown and the District, and it is also on the Orange Line.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM

2,555 posts, read 1,655,770 times
For your budget you may find an apartment along Lee Highway in Arlington. There is a backroute to Tyson's from there:
Take Old Dominion Highway (VA 309) to Dolley Madison Blvd (VA-123). This brings you to where I-495, Dulles Toll Road, and VA-7 converge in Tyson's. It's a steady 40 MPH the entire way with a few lights and gets you there in around 30 minutes. This is especially handy when I-66 is backed up.

Last edited by Smoke_Jaguar4; 03-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: corrected error

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,302,555 times
if you plan on living by yourself, your budget will rent you a studio in n. arlington. since metro doesn't matter to you, you could go further south in arlington an get a 1 bed for that price.

your money will buy you more in tysons but n. arlington is more fun to live in

Ballston - Rosslyn is considered N. Arlington and the most expensive parts to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia