U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,417,482 times

Advertisements

I grew up in this area. Was born in Alexandria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,762,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLUMINOUSnotJulius View Post
Is it because most of the states that are moving here are typically NY and NJ, (which I have met people from both and can attest to the abysmal state of their inhabitants from said places) . . . .
Quote:
3)You kind of sum of the entire thing I am feeling - people from NJ who have no reason here other than to take our $$$ and jobs and spoil the area and moab about it. No offense to you or anyone else because you could be hard working or a good person etc., hard to tell online with a statement such as that.
Honestly, how many more times do you plan to keep generalizing and insulting people from New Jersey? Especially about people "who have no reason here"? After 23 years of living in NOVA I have plenty of reasons to be here. And none of these reasons, IMO, require justification to you or anyone else about my continued presence here.

And one thing I have never done is freak out about out-of-state license plates, too many people, and xenophobia. There are too many other things to worry about in this world my friend, IMO.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,846,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I grew up in this area. Was born in Alexandria

Me too. Alexandria Hospital...the old one at Duke & Washington, 1951.

Except for 5 years in New Haven CT (college) and a few temp postings for Uncle, been here the whole time.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 38,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Honestly, how many more times do you plan to keep generalizing and insulting people from New Jersey? Especially about people "who have no reason here"? After 23 years of living in NOVA I have plenty of reasons to be here. And none of these reasons, IMO, require justification to you or anyone else about my continued presence here.

And one thing I have never done is freak out about out-of-state license plates, too many people, and xenophobia. There are too many other things to worry about in this world my friend, IMO.
If you read my first post (did you?) you would come to the conclusion that it was a pretty baseless and unfounded confusion that I am feeling towards the sudden influx. I even said "I have no reason to feel that way..." and I quote.

Of course the natural reaction is to feel offended by someone else trying to understand what goes on behind the scenes. I def agree with you about other things to worry about - but as I mentioned 2 years ago 5, 10 this was never something I had thought of. It's been a random thought, couldn't help but noticing. If you go through and read all of my posts and not just the one after the NJ Mom said she feels sorry for anyone moving here - then you should garner that insight. Should, key word.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,417,482 times
But jersey is the armpit of America isn't it? Yuck!

(I'm just kidding btw)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM

361 posts, read 617,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
... but with the boob in the Whitehouse ...
Good grief.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,798,500 times
I'm also a native--born and raised in Arlington. Then spent a few decades living around the country (mostly California) and am now happy to be back home.

Personally I think it's exciting to have some of the best and the brightest moving here from all over the country. I like seeing our metro area consistently topping lists like Most Literate Cities, Fittest Population, Best Educated, Best Health Care and a lot of that is due to the people moving here. I like the energy, I like the businesses that are arriving as part of this migration (Wegmans, for example), I like the seeing our schools thrive because the people moving here tend to have lots of degrees and care deeply about their children's education. The people moving in seem to bring a lot to the table, IMO.

Quote:
Is it because I think they are coming here to take all of the jobs - and thus my future employment for that 150k position is at stake (hypothetically)?
It's not like people are moving here and then looking for work. They move here because they already have the job. You would prefer their company located that job somewhere else? I could understand this concern if we were talking about entry level jobs, but your chances of getting a $150K job aren't dependent on whether or not other people move here.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM

8,542 posts, read 12,594,810 times
The truth of the matter is the primary reason the DC region has so many jobs and a healthy economy is because of the government - the government of the whole United States. The fact that Maryland and Virginia happen to be located next to the nation's capital does not give its residents a monopoly on jobs directly and indirectly related to our nation's government.

The people who should be annoyed are those who don't live anywhere near Washington, DC. How unfortunate for them that in order for them to get jobs, they need to uproot their lives and move to an area that is primarily supported by a government that serves all the people of our nation. How blessed we are to live in the United States where there is freedom of movement - no passport or visa needed to cross state lines.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,681,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The truth of the matter is the primary reason the DC region has so many jobs and a healthy economy is because of the government - the government of the whole United States. The fact that Maryland and Virginia happen to be located next to the nation's capital does not give its residents a monopoly on jobs directly and indirectly related to our nation's government.

The people who should be annoyed are those who don't live anywhere near Washington, DC. How unfortunate for them that in order for them to get jobs, they need to uproot their lives and move to an area that is primarily supported by a government that serves all the people of our nation. How blessed we are to live in the United States where there is freedom of movement - no passport or visa needed to cross state lines.
Well said michgc! Can't rep you again! Didn't realize I was CD stalking you but CD did!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,112,036 times
Quote:
So the past few weeks I have all of a sudden noticed a huge influx in people flocking from all over the country to Nova/DC/MD.
You really have seen a noticeable change in the past few weeks? I certainly could say that for the past few years. What evidence of change are you seeing that you can narrow down to weeks? Moving vans in your neighborhood? I suppose that could be picking up due to 1) economy in this area improving more and more and 2) winter is over and people move more when it's not Nov - Jan.

In my area, I seem to notice a lot more PA tags than other states, and I've met a lot of people from Pittsburgh! I do also hear some people converse about NJ places as if they are common knowledge, haven't run into many New Yorkers. Not that I'd care in a negative way, though. I myself came here from NC, but a long time ago (and the move was due to Fed gov job, like so many others).

I feel some negativity about the population growth, in terms of numbers and what that has done to quality of life here. But I don't bemoan where the new population comes from one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia