U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I am from NJ and people are MUCH nicer there.
Your opinion is your opinion and that's fine, but just wanted to throw out there that I'm from NJ too and I find people here MUCH nicer.

That being said, and in light of the bit of Jersey-reputation volleyball creeping up in this thread,
I always find it interesting that the people who have especially crass things to say about NJ as a whole have
(1) never been there, or
(2) have only been to Newark Airport and its environs, or
(3) think NJ is like "The Sopranos" or "Jersey Shore."

Most likely, they've never been to the northwest part of the state, or the southern shore (Avalon / Stone Harbor / Cape May)
or the Marlton area, or Princeton, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,220,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLUMINOUSnotJulius View Post
I believe that part of it for me is that this time around {these past couple months even} the influx seems entirely unnatural. More and more people are coming in rather than leaving, but it seems that after the 07 collapse/depression, people could not move anywhere for a long time. Now that the economy is slightly (although the nightly news would like you to probably think otherwise) picking up - people are moving and relocating by choice or mandate. It's not bad, it's been normal to have transplants all over NOVA for years and years. But the shear drastic change in just this year alone is what has me really thinking about this. I was not thinking about it 2 years ago, that's for sure. So I guess the point is for me that it feels entirely unnatural and sudden.
People are tired of suffering. If they're anything like me (I plan on moving to the area later this year to find work in my field) they're tired of having no future where they are, and are going to the one spot in the country that is growing.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
That being said, and in light of the bit of Jersey-reputation volleyball creeping up in this thread,
I always find it interesting that the people who have especially crass things to say about NJ as a whole have
(1) never been there, or

Most likely, they've never been to the northwest part of the state, or the southern shore (Avalon / Stone Harbor / Cape May)
or the Marlton area, or Princeton, etc.
Bravo to you Alltheusernamesaretaken! Well said!

The only addition I would like to add to your list are the people who have only traveled through the state via the Jersey Turnpike. So my response to them is, "Have you traveled through Virginia? Do you think the whole state is like 95 South?"

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
OK

Is it because most of the states that are moving here are typically NY and NJ, (which I have met people from both and can attest to the abysmal state of their inhabitants from said places)?
I love you too.

where, prey tell, are all these ex-NYers?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Are you kidding? Everyone here is from somwhere else. I am from NJ and people are MUCH nicer there.
well duh, people from NJ are SUBURBANITES.

*runs away*

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
[
Quote:
If you read my first post (did you?) you would come to the conclusion that it was a pretty baseless and unfounded confusion that I am feeling towards the sudden influx. I even said "I have no reason to feel that way..."
Yes, I read your post. People from New Jersey do know how to read.

I merely asked you a question which I see has not been answered. Instead, I get another snarky remark about one's ability reading and comprehensions skills. You made negative generalizations about a certain group of people entering the state -- but you did not say the same about people from CA, PA, WA or elsewhere.

Furthermore, you may be comfortable hiding under words like "baseless" and "unfounded confusion" or having "no reason to feel that way". However, your feelings about things are pretty obvious, whether you recognize them or not.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,832,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
People are tired of suffering. If they're anything like me (I plan on moving to the area later this year to find work in my field) they're tired of having no future where they are, and are going to the one spot in the country that is growing.
Well said, and very true!

For all of you here who think you've got it soo bad because folks like me are moving to "your" town, open your eyes to the rest of the country. It took me 3 years to get here from Chicago. I've done almost all of my business here in DC for the past 6 years. I finally found my ticket in, and it was finally a one-way ticket, instead of a round trip back to a place of economic misery and crumbling infrastructure. This is a beautiful part of the country. DC represents the most stable employment base in the nation, has in the past, and will continue to do so. If you look at economic data, specifically real estate, over the past 5 years, you'll see a bar graph that suggests the region didn't slide down the rabbit hole, it simply took a break. Development and growth just paused, it didn't nose-dive like the vast majority of other communities around the country. Why do you think folks like Hilton Hotel, VW, and many other "private sector" employers are moving their HQ's here? It's the talent, it's the stability of the employment sector that makes the employee costs worth it in terms of production returns.

But besides the economic strengths, many associated with the federal government, but not all, take a look at a map, and take a Sunday drive. This region is stunningly beautiful to live in! Ocean a couple hours east, mountains a couple hours west, just enough change of season to enjoy all four seasons of color, and a diverse population that allows you to experience all kinds of different and new elements of life, without having to leave your own backyard. If this doesn't suit you, then might I suggest a more suitable location....say, Joliet, Illinois.

Nobody "owns" this town. We share it. It depends on YOU and YOU only if you're willing to enjoy it, or whine and complain about it. I, for one, have seen the other side of the fence, in terms of weather and overall healthy "vibe". I'll take this traffic any day, and twice on Sunday, to be here. My wife, kids, and I, LOVE being here. This is going to be our "home" until the kids are grown and starting their own lives and families, and I'm ready to retire and my wife and I are ready to head back to where it all started, along the Carolina coast.

But that being said, I do understand those who are "home sick" to regions they're originally from, like NJ. There is no place like "home", and if you've had to leave it for economic reasons, that's a stinging feeling that never really goes away. I understand that, and my heart goes out to those who feel "stuck" here for a paycheck. No amount of money will fix that feeling, sadly. I hate Chicago, never want to return. But, that's not my "home" culture. I met a lot of folks there who had moved away to areas that I'd consider paradise (Bev Hills, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, ect..) only to return to Chicago at all costs. I get it.

Last edited by NC211; 03-14-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,863,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
....How blessed we are to live in the United States where there is freedom of movement - no passport or visa needed to cross state lines.

Well, not yet anyway. Remember...during the Great Depression, the LAPD sent officers to the CA state line, in a brief attempt to try to turn around the hordes of Okies that were heading west.

I don't think that would ever happen this time....I think the bankrupt US Govt will collapse well before that.

Everybody got their bug-out bags handy? LOL

Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Don't forget: Even if your family goes way back in VA, there were people here before them, who had been here about 1,000 years (until the US government relocated them and them tried to exterminate them, nearly succeeding).

Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
(1) never been there, or
and often.... (4) are bored and know that picking on NJ is a good way to stir up a little excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia