Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times

Advertisements

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G: Girl, 6, becomes youngest eligible for Scripps Spelling Bee – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

While it's great news that she knows how to spell all those words, I don't see the point. In a few years, she's going to be texting words like "cud", "shud", "mebbe", "b4", "omg" and so on, thus effectively wiping out all that she's learned to spell so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I can't get the link to work for some reason. Dd the article say if she went to public school? If so, what a compliment to the PW school system.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
she is home schooled, and correctly spelled a word not in Webster's: vaquero.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Well that was a strange article. I didn't realize that spelling bees for young children gave out non-English words. Not that it's a big deal but it just never occurred to me.

Also, it was a word that had tripped her up before and they had "practiced" it. I mean, VAQUERO??? How would you know to practice such a thing?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
My three-year-olds know the word (although they wouldn't be able to spell it); it's used at least twice in "Toy Story 3" when Buzz Lightyear is switched into Spanish mode, and refers to Woody as "el vaquero".

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Well, that explains it then.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM

298 posts, read 680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Also, it was a word that had tripped her up before and they had "practiced" it. I mean, VAQUERO??? How would you know to practice such a thing?
I'd always wondered, when watching spelling bee documentaries like Spellbound (see it if you haven't), why kids and parents talk about how they "practiced" certain words. It turns out that the kids have a list or book of words they are given in advance that will be asked during the spelling bee. Apparently, they go to "off the list" words only at some spelling bees, and only at the very end to break a long back-and-forth tie.

Not to take anything away from the kids' obsessive compulsive spelling prowess, but when on the news, some kid has spelled "euonym" for the win, the anchors inevitably gush about how they are amazed the kid had any idea what that word was. How about the fact that it was on a list of words they had to study? ... geez, it sounds like I'm belittling the kid when I mean to belittle the news anchors, but hopefully you guys get what I'm saying.

Also, as soon as I saw the topic, I thought "home schooled." Bingo.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
I'd always wondered, when watching spelling bee documentaries like Spellbound (see it if you haven't), why kids and parents talk about how they "practiced" certain words. It turns out that the kids have a list or book of words they are given in advance that will be asked during the spelling bee. Apparently, they go to "off the list" words only at some spelling bees, and only at the very end to break a long back-and-forth tie.

Not to take anything away from the kids' obsessive compulsive spelling prowess, but when on the news, some kid has spelled "euonym" for the win, the anchors inevitably gush about how they are amazed the kid had any idea what that word was. How about the fact that it was on a list of words they had to study? ... geez, it sounds like I'm belittling the kid when I mean to belittle the news anchors, but hopefully you guys get what I'm saying.

Also, as soon as I saw the topic, I thought "home schooled." Bingo.

I get you. I did not know this. It totally ruins Spelling Bees for me. I think that is nuts--giving them a booklet of words they might be called on to spell to study ahead of time. That's not spelling prowess, that's memorization and recall.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 176,496 times
Lori Anne was interviewed on national television, here is the video:

6-year-old spelling champ heading to national contest - Fox News Video - Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia