Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM

20 posts, read 38,931 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some opinions here. I'll get right to my main question: overall, do you think housing values in NOVA will be up a decent % by the end of the year? (if you could state your qualifications or what your answer is based on, that would be awesome). I was at a Chamber meeting a few months ago where I met a couple who did commercial real estate, and they recommended I buy a townhouse (instead of condo) ASAP instead of waiting towards the end of 2012. Is their advice sound?

My girlfriend and I are first time home buyer with a stash of cash saved up, currently renting in the Annandale area. I want to find either a condo or townhome to buy close to where we work (Merrifield/Dunn Loring Metro).

Other questions:
  • If we decide to get a 3+ BR place to save on living expenses, would it be fairly easy to find a decent renter off CL who'd want to live with us?
  • Should we get a condo or townhome?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM

314 posts, read 400,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthology View Post
[*]If we decide to get a 3+ BR place to save on living expenses, would it be fairly easy to find a decent renter off CL who'd want to live with us?[*]Should we get a condo or townhome?!?! [/list]
Yes, it's fairly easy. Just make sure you did credit check and keep photocopy of an identification. Also make sure you get security deposit.

Get the townhouse. Condo fee will eat you up.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Do townhouses not have the common-maintencance fees too? I always assumed they did.

Prices? Who knows. The economy is coming back (especially here), which (coupled with low interest rates) means more demand, meaning higher prices. But some areas have more supply than there is demand. I suppose there could be some people waiting to see the results of the November elections--but I doubt it. If you need to buy a home, you buy a home. People even bought homes in 1981, when interest rates were around 18%.

If I had to bet on it, I'd guess prices will be slightly higher when 2013 hits. But then they've gone down a little since 2010, even as the economy has slowly regained steam--so it's anybody's guess.

As Yogi Berra said, it's hard to make predictions--especially about the future.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Prices, as themselves have been down for quite some time. In regard to over paying on a per square foot basis, I think you're about as safe as you're going to get right now. However, every equation has an "x" factor, an unknown. Today that factor is interest rates. This determines buying power more than anything else, and very unpredictable and quick moving. For example: $1,000 a month can but you a $200,000 mortgage. Tomorrow however, when rates go up (and only a fool wouldn't think they are/will), that $1,000 bucks may only buy you a $130,000 mortgage. There is the x factor in being in a "subsidized" housing environment of rates in the 3-4% range. Only one way to go when you're that low.

So what do you do then, if you know this is going to happen? You play the subsided game and buy the mortgage that allows you to buy the rate as well. FHA. Not cheap in terms of PMI costs, both initially and on going until 80% LTV and/or 5 years in. But, on a $600,000 investment that is exposed to interest rate risk, the ability to assign the rate to the property instead of the borrower, is going to be a HUGE advantage in a few years, when rates are back to normal levels of 7%. I have a 30 year FHA mortgage at 3.75%. Levered up to max of 97% and put the rest of what was to be my down payment ($125,000) in a CD at 2%. In 10 years, when it comes time to sell, I can price my home to a payment that will probably equal a much lesser home in the open market, thanks to that assumabilty clause on my mortgage. The PMI costs, in this environment, aren't just for an insurance policy for the lender, but the cost of having a debt instrument that will create an arbitrage for your biggest purchase!

Merrified: EYA's Mossiac Townhomes. Only way to go in that pocket. Top notch developer that really does care about their reputation with their customer. Ask any one in the business, they'll say the same thing..

When I hear the word condo, I always think of George Carlin: Con Dough, as in I got conned out of my dough!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM

314 posts, read 400,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Do townhouses not have the common-maintencance fees too? I always assumed they did.
They do but not as much and usually run from 50 to 100 while condo fee is expensive. Condo fees sometimes include utilities and you paid for it even if you don't use A/C.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211
The PMI costs, in this environment, aren't just for an insurance policy for the lender, but the cost of having a debt instrument that will create an arbitrage for your biggest purchase!
So you're paying thousands a year in PMI plus losing another $2000 in extra interest since your down payment is in a CD so that someday you can say "look at the low interest rate on this house" when you sell? Not to mention the money you are losing by pissing it away in PMI vs investing it somewhere that earns more than -100% (like stuff it in a mattress). It seems like you're saying as rates go up, home prices will go down, but yours won't because your rate is "locked in" as low. I don't think that is true. If rates are 7% and yours is 3.75%, will it really sell for more money...or just sell faster due to the attractive rate? If I'm an all cash buyer I don't care what the rate on your mortgage is. Also, if interest rates just so happen to be low when you decide to sell, you've gained nothing! Maybe I'm missing something here I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Get the townhouse. Condo fee will eat you up.
Many new townhomes are actually condos (with the absurd fees to match) so watch out for that as well.

By condo I assume the OP means in a high rise? I'd say the TH is definitely better (especially if it is just an HOA) because you only have 1 or 2 people attached to you as opposed to someone possibly on all sides. A TH is generally easier to sell. The TH should be bigger and might even have a little bit of a yard or garage.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,735 times
Not all townhouses have separate fees- only the "townhouse-condos". You can get a townhouse without maintenance fees. I'd go the townhouse route personally. Not sure where the prices are going to go but I think it's a good time to buy. The interest rate on my first house was 7.25%, which was a good rate at the time. Not all that long ago, either.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
FHAs fees can be pretty brutal. Not only the monthly PMI which is high but they're taking 1% of your 3.5% downpayment at closing as a fee.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I have no credentials but just have been watching.

My feeling is that prices are at least stable and no longer dropping. There is supposed to be another glut of foreclosures soon as the later phases of bad lending loans are coming through so that could keep things on the lower side for awhile depending where you are.

I would say it is a good time to buy but do not, do not, do not look for any quick appreciation for many years. Buy the home because you want a home not because you are looking for a quick flip.

Townhouse is always a better investment than a condo in the suburbs.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I would say it is a good time to buy but do not, do not, do not look for any quick appreciation for many years. Buy the home because you want a home not because you are looking for a quick flip.
Very good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia