U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 AM

3,351 posts, read 5,944,990 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are doing our usual morning carpool to work. We're waiting for oncoming right-turn traffic to clear at a green light, before we turn left from Belle Haven onto Fort Hunt. There's no left green arrow at this intersection. All of a sudden, this stupid woman in a big blue SUV behind us starts wailing on her horn. As if we're supposed to cut off the right-turn traffic and just go.

Once we make our turn, she tailgates us all the way to Route 1. But even better, just before we get there, Fort Hunt opens into a left-only lane so people can turn onto Huntington. We normally get into the far left lane right on the other side of the intersection, to prepare to make our turn onto Route 1. Well, this idiot goes straight THROUGH the left-only lane at the Fort Hunt/Huntington intersection, and we just about sideswipe her. We wailed on our horn, but she paid absolutely NO attention.

I wanted to get out of my car right then and there and beat the crap out of her. Your time is no more important than anyone else's, you stupid twit. Obey the rules of the road just like everyone else, and stick your stupid horn where the sun doesn't shine. I'll go when it's clear to go, not when you decide you want to go.

God, I can't wait to move out of this area. Feel free to share your own stories of idiot drivers in the D.C. area ... this is your chance to blow off some of your own steam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,690,598 times
If you think moving out of DC is going to rid you of road rage, think again. After leaving DC in 2003, we moved to Las Vegas...I've never seen such rage. More red lights run, stop signs blasted through, school zones where you are crazy to let your kids walk thru. And not all from drivers from CA. After 2 years there we moved to NW Florida...the middle of freakin nowhere. Well bubba has his own version of RR and it's not pretty. I drive 20 minutes to work and we have a decent road for part of it, good timed red lights etc, but we call it the Tyndall 500 in the mornings. I leave about 25 minutes early just to not have to deal with it.

Can't wait to get back to DC!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,703,356 times
The experience you and your wife had was all too typical of our two years in that area of Alexandria. We had never been surrounded by so many angry, me-first people (who are clearly more important than everyone else).

I routinely got honked for stopping for students in a cross-walk at a four-way stop in a neighborhood just off Fort Hunt Road. One lady (a well-known PTA volunteer) tried to go AROUND me at a four-way stop--not realizing there were children crossing the street. DUH...school just let out. You think I stopped at the stop sign and decided to trim my nails? In my experience, the women drivers (many of them stay-at-home moms) were the absolute worst.

We had to move. The poorly-laid out roads, the arrogant, self-involved drivers and the lack of friendly people made us decide to find a better location for our family.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 AM

407 posts, read 2,086,695 times
Keep things in perspective...do you really think the drivers in DC Metro are that bad? You should see what drivers are like in Massachusetts!! Hell drivers are aggressive as hell in New England period!! And I'm talking about drivers that live in suburbia, and the backwood areas too!

So I really hate to bust you and your wife's bubble, but you're going to experience aggressive driving outside of the DC Metro area too! lol

Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,818,637 times
having lived in various parts of this country and driven across it several times -- I can attest to the fact that road rage and idiot drivers are unfortunately everywhere. But I do think that things are worse in the more congested urban areas -- just by sheer fact of numbers and more people competing for the same road space and time.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,606,531 times
Pretty much everywhere -- unless you're on some deserted road in Nebraska! Even posters in my hometown in San Antonio complain about rude drivers and dangerous acts.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 7,387,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
So my wife and I are doing our usual morning carpool to work. We're waiting for oncoming right-turn traffic to clear at a green light, before we turn left from Belle Haven onto Fort Hunt. There's no left green arrow at this intersection. All of a sudden, this stupid woman in a big blue SUV behind us starts wailing on her horn. As if we're supposed to cut off the right-turn traffic and just go.

Once we make our turn, she tailgates us all the way to Route 1. But even better, just before we get there, Fort Hunt opens into a left-only lane so people can turn onto Huntington. We normally get into the far left lane right on the other side of the intersection, to prepare to make our turn onto Route 1. Well, this idiot goes straight THROUGH the left-only lane at the Fort Hunt/Huntington intersection, and we just about sideswipe her. We wailed on our horn, but she paid absolutely NO attention.

I wanted to get out of my car right then and there and beat the crap out of her. Your time is no more important than anyone else's, you stupid twit. Obey the rules of the road just like everyone else, and stick your stupid horn where the sun doesn't shine. I'll go when it's clear to go, not when you decide you want to go.

God, I can't wait to move out of this area. Feel free to share your own stories of idiot drivers in the D.C. area ... this is your chance to blow off some of your own steam.
I hear exactly what you're talking about. When living in Leesburg we had some rednecks in a pickup with WV plates behind wail on their horn when we wouldn't turn left into oncoming traffic. I was like "what do you want me to do, turn right infront of cars coming across the intersection". I mean there wasn't even a slight space, it was heavy traffic coming across the intersection. At the next light, they rolled down their windows and threatened us (my wife was driving). That's when I opened the glove compartment where I kept my handgun (I was a police officer at the time). I never showed them the gun, but wanted it just incase. Freakin' idiots out there!

I honestly thought DC area drivers were bad until I actually moved to Raleigh, NC of all places. While I love it down here (too hot lately) the drivers here are freakin' nuts as well. Speed limits are mere suggestions and the way people cut each other off without EVER using turn signals is borderline crazy. The weird thing is that not many people honk (except the ones from NY and Boston that have moved down here...lol). The road rage and tailgating happens even in little old Raleigh, NC. No matter where you go in this country, if it's an urban/suburban area a lot of people will still drive like A-holes.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,818,637 times
I'd say these occurrences of bad driving everywhere are a perfect reason to promote good public transportation systems!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 PM

11,949 posts, read 17,458,771 times
Quote:
Keep things in perspective...do you really think the drivers in DC Metro are that bad? You should see what drivers are like in Massachusetts!! Hell drivers are aggressive as hell in New England period!! And I'm talking about drivers that live in suburbia, and the backwood areas too!

So I really hate to bust you and your wife's bubble, but you're going to experience aggressive driving outside of the DC Metro area too! lol
Yep. Add Dallas to the list. Craziest psychos I have ever seen behind a wheel. Not that they have the monopoly.

They're everywhere now.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,188 times
I'd say these occurrences of bad driving everywhere are a perfect reason to promote good public transportation systems!

You can run, but you can't hide from these people. They will follow you to the Metro, and proceed to trample you on the escalator (they're trying to catch a train, after all), push past you on the platform (they have an important meeting to get to), eat and drink on the train (they are too important to follow the rules), stand right next to the door so that you can't get past them (they don't want to miss their stop), or take up an entire seat with their personal belongings (surely you don't expect them to put their briefcase on their lap). They will also hold long and loud conversations on their cellphones, so that you will be unable to read your book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia