U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM

5,083 posts, read 5,351,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
At that time of day, your best bet will be to meet at the Fredericksburg VRE and get on Route 3 headed west (even though that is a back road, it will be less congested), take that road (it changes route numbers a couple of times to 15) to Charlottesville and pick up I-64 in Charlottesville, take that to I-81 south to Lexington.
OP, If you decide to take this route:

Rt 3 West is not a backroad (it is a four lane highway) and it does not change route numbers (it remains Rt 3) (Rt 3 runs east/west - Rt 15 runs north/south) and you would want to take Rt 3 to Culpeper and get on Rt 29 south to get to Charlottesville. And you would have to drive through the city of Charlottesville to get to I-64. I do not recommend this route. At all.

Also, neither Rt 3 nor Rt 15 goes to Charlottesville. The above quoted post is chock-full of incorrect info.

I think your best option is to meet your husband in Fredericksburg (you leave no later than 2:30 - 3:00) and then take 95 to 295 (bypassing driving through Richmond) to 64 west to 81 south.

Last edited by HokieFan; 03-15-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

251 posts, read 744,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You don't want to be entering the HOV on 95 around 6pm. That's when it become unrestricted.
That's right! Thanks
Hubby is going to try to get off at 3 tomorrow. So we'll *hopefully* be on the road by 4. What are our chances there?

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
That's right! Thanks
Hubby is going to try to get off at 3 tomorrow. So we'll *hopefully* be on the road by 4. What are our chances there?

Thanks for all the advice!
You will be good on HOV until down around Quantico. The HOV lanes start to back up at the merge into the regular lanes. From there, you will probably have a very slow pace until you get south of Fredericksburg. That's probably about 15-20 miles.

Again, it's not summer so it won't be total gridlock but understand that you will be in the THICK of rush hour. Leaving between 3:00-6:30 PM on a Friday night is the worst of times. I know you are probably in a hurry to be somewhere but if you don't have something you need to show up for, the best bet is to stay at home, have some dinner and let the worst of it pass. Why do you want to deal with that?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,215,281 times
Lightbulb Best route

Take hwy 29 from manasas, thru culpepper, then tio west side of charlotte. Skip 95 all together. Best option is for hubby tio take vre to the end of manassas line and fly.down on hwy 29.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 PM

300 posts, read 496,225 times
Also, if the weather is really good or really bad, 95 traffic will start earlier. Particularly warm days will have southbound traffic building up in the Stafford area starting around 2-3 PM.

Unless you leave late Friday morning or wait until after 6 or 7 PM to start out, I'd recommend doing your VRE plan. Overall, once you're past Fredericksburg (exit 130), traffic is not too bad; after exit 126, it's practically nonexistent until you get to Richmond. The quicker way to Lexington would be to cut through Fredericksburg/Orange to get to 64. But Rt. 3 traffic at exit 130 has its own share of traffic problems...

Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
Also, if the weather is really good or really bad, 95 traffic will start earlier. Particularly warm days will have southbound traffic building up in the Stafford area starting around 2-3 PM.

Unless you leave late Friday morning or wait until after 6 or 7 PM to start out, I'd recommend doing your VRE plan. Overall, once you're past Fredericksburg (exit 130), traffic is not too bad; after exit 126, it's practically nonexistent until you get to Richmond. The quicker way to Lexington would be to cut through Fredericksburg/Orange to get to 64. But Rt. 3 traffic at exit 130 has its own share of traffic problems...
I disagree that cutting through Fredericksburg and Orange is a quicker route.

If traffic is not too bad at exit 130 and non-existant at exit 126, then it would be foolish to get off at exit 130 and take roads that have reduced speeds and multiple stop lights. Plus, you would have to cut through more than Orange and Fredericksburg to get to I-64 (because I-64 does not run through Orange County or Spotsylvania County, I am a native of Orange County so I know this for a fact).

If you want to get there as quickly as possible, take the route I suggested above. If you want a beautiful & scenic, yet more time-consuming, drive through Virginia's country side, then get off at Fredericksburg.

But check Google maps or use your GPS for directions because some of these people are not sharing correct information.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM

968 posts, read 1,441,346 times
It's nearly 6pm on Friday now, so I'm late to the game, but I'm wondering what highways people posting here are driving that aren't bad until 3pm or later on Friday afternoons. I have family both south and west of the area, and both 66 W and 95 S start getting jammed up bumper-to-bumper as early as 11am (and not just in the summer). It's absolutely ridiculous. We have given up trying to get anywhere on Fridays and just leave early on Saturday mornings instead!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
It's nearly 6pm on Friday now, so I'm late to the game, but I'm wondering what highways people posting here are driving that aren't bad until 3pm or later on Friday afternoons. I have family both south and west of the area, and both 66 W and 95 S start getting jammed up bumper-to-bumper as early as 11am (and not just in the summer). It's absolutely ridiculous. We have given up trying to get anywhere on Fridays and just leave early on Saturday mornings instead!

This true, although I've had good luck in the non-summer months.

Today I was off work and I had to pass over I-95 right around the Potomac Mills exit. At 1:00 p.m. it was already backed up starting right there, all the way down to Quantico where it supposedly opened up. Apparently something had happened. I thought about the poor OP.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
It's nearly 6pm on Friday now, so I'm late to the game, but I'm wondering what highways people posting here are driving that aren't bad until 3pm or later on Friday afternoons.
I find that I-95 south isn't horrible before 3pm outside of the summer months. I don't mean to imply it's moving at speed and it's wide open, smooth sailing. It might be bumper-to-bumper, congested and moving below speed but it's usually moving and not at a stand still (unless there is an accident).

Summer months are a different story. I wouldn't get on any highway heading out of the city towards the beaches or mountains on a Friday afternoon in the May through Labor Day range.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM

300 posts, read 496,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I disagree that cutting through Fredericksburg and Orange is a quicker route.
Maybe I should have clarified...the Fredericksburg/Orange Route was stated to be faster according to Google Maps. I don't particularly agree that it's faster, but that's what the maps say, and I was passing on the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia