U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times

Advertisements

Fundman said

Quote:
Most of the really bad rent-by-the-week welfare motels have been bulldozed.
Hey, I used to stay in some of those rent-by-the-hour motels on Jefferson Davis/Richmond Highway. Not what I bet you are thinking Rather, the only rooms available at the last minute after everything else in 10 square miles is booked. Eeew. But at least I am alive to tell the tale! (Which was a bit iffy at the time)

Interesting link on the Monorail Waltlatnz. But I don't see it happening here in the short or intermediate time scale. Too $$$ for their captive tax base (i.e. you and me).

Also, I think brooklynborndad had a good point that too much public transport would be feeding into restricted chokepoints. Not good for sustainable long-term planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,767,272 times
Look at it this way, rail on the road itself would have to take up a lane away from cars. As would dedicated busways.That is of course if you actually wanted the things to work.

Besides, some people ALWAYS protest something, and if something like this were to be made, it wouldn't be for YEARS on out. That is medium to long term, once zoning regs change and we make the area more interconnected for pedestrians and tourists alike. This place is going to be primarily auto centric, make no mistake about that. There needs to be a balance between local and through traffic.

But look, there is NO OTHER PLACE to build any roads, and people are going to keep coming here, sooner or later you HAVE to think outside the box, otherwise our roads will look like Beijings. Now THOSE are parking lots.

Of course any rail wouldn't be for a WHILE, just due to money issues. But you have to think ahead in this kind of game. You know the big vacant area adjacent to Potomac Yard center? I hear that was left like that for potential Metro oriented developments, while it was on wiki, I read that WMATA will try to have an infill station at Potomac yards in the next decade.

Last edited by waltlantz; 03-19-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
any further metrorail investment in NoVa after the silver line has to deal with the growing congestion at the core -

For NoVa, the obvious answer is VRE. While it will require regional cooperation and cooperation with the private freight RR's, expansion of capacity to accommodate improved VRE service can probably be done more cheaply, and sooner,
You do make a very good point about the core. And a good macro vs. micro point. At some point the Nova suburbs are gonna be so packed that you'd have to look at having VRE service for at least most parts of the day like they do in Philly or Chicago. The problem is our area is a big bottleneck for railroads and freight companies are REALLY LEERY about expanding passenger services for various reasons. What's more in some places you might have to lay additional tracks for true speedy service and that itself is pricey.

On the Mount Vernon area itself, the main reason I suggested monorail service (once the population and tax base can support it) is because it could arguably cost less then building more Metro which is basically a big ol expensive subway. Rex will function as it always does, while the rail would only serve really big cross sections or destinations, Ft. Belvoir, Woodlawn/Engleside/Mt. Vernon, Hybla Valley/Gum Springs, Beacon Hill/Groveton, Kings Crossing/Penn Daw, and finally Huntington. Connector Buses would feed it and not have to worry so much about Route 1 travel but criss crossing the neighboorhoods further back.

The Mulligan St. interchange will be a big help, but aside from maybe crossing over and using the Parkway more, I don't see how you address the Route 1 traffic problem long term without some sort of transit, especially if we want to continue to have people and buisnesses move here.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
The Mulligan St. interchange will be a big help, but aside from maybe crossing over and using the Parkway more, I don't see how you address the Route 1 traffic problem long term without some sort of transit, especially if we want to continue to have people and buisnesses move here.
Isn't much of the future growth going to happen West of the base? Seems there's plenty of vacant land along the new section of the Fairfax County Parkway.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM

That's definetly possible, but you never know where people will wanna move too. Frankly I don't think the County would put such an emphasis on planning in the corridor if they didn't expect at least some BRAC people to come there, let alone non-BRAC new comers.

I'd assume there is gonna be activity west of the base too but I haven't read anything about that specifically.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
That's definetly possible, but you never know where people will wanna move too. Frankly I don't think the County would put such an emphasis on planning in the corridor if they didn't expect at least some BRAC people to come there, let alone non-BRAC new comers.

I'd assume there is gonna be activity west of the base too but I haven't read anything about that specifically.
Seems more likely they'd do green field development than displace existing residents and businesses. I've never seen them do much of the latter around here with the exception of the Beltway/mixing bowl projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia