Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,274 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm considering taking a position in graduate school at George Mason this fall. The stipend is really low (disturbingly low) and was wondering what the best housing options would be? Not only for the price, but also for the best neighborhoods. I will be moving there solo and won't know anyone- so the more social/ easily accessible the neighborhood the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
You're going to have to give a number to go with the "disturbingly low" stipend. People can't give you suggestions until you give them at least a range and idea of what you are seeking. NoVa is a very expensive area. Plus everyone has a different interpretation of "disturningly low".

Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Default disturbingly low

In this case disturbingly low is around $14,000 per year. I'm most likely going to take out loans as well. So basically the cheaper the better.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Oh, my. . . I don't know how you could live independently on that salary, even with multiple roommates. Have you talked to the school about possibly being a TA in a dorm? or renting a room in a professor's house? Hopefully, other posters have more ideas.

I wish you well.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM

230 posts, read 758,132 times
I'm somewhat confused as to exactly what your working situation will be at GMU in the fall. Are you going to be a full-time graduate student and will be taking a position as a graduate teaching assistant while pursuing your degree. It is my understanding that these type of positions normally pay a small stipend. If you could please clarify that bit of info it may help in giving you some possible recommendations for housing. Also, which GMU campus location do you plan on taking this position? Fairfax, Prince William County, or Arlington?

Last edited by LVMYDACH; 03-20-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Yes, I will be a full-time graduate student getting a TA stipend. As far as I am aware it's going to be 14,000 a year (and maybe some summer pay). Basically- I will be living on student loans to cover the rest of my living expenses. I will be at the Fairfax campus and am wondering which areas/neighborhoods are good locations for young people (with limited funds) with a reasonable commute. This will help give me some guidance when looking for possible roommates on Craigslist.
Any information on the area would be helpful, I've never been to the area and have no idea where to start looking for apartments.
Thank you!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscheldr View Post
Yes, I will be a full-time graduate student getting a TA stipend. As far as I am aware it's going to be 14,000 a year (and maybe some summer pay). Basically- I will be living on student loans to cover the rest of my living expenses. I will be at the Fairfax campus and am wondering which areas/neighborhoods are good locations for young people (with limited funds) with a reasonable commute. This will help give me some guidance when looking for possible roommates on Craigslist.
Any information on the area would be helpful, I've never been to the area and have no idea where to start looking for apartments.
Thank you!
You need roommates, and you need them now. 1brs are not gonna be possible. Find a townhouse to split between 4 and you could get your rent down to 400 a month in Burke. Good luck man.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
To give you an idea of the cost of housing in Northern Virginia: if you find a 1BR that is under $1000/month (at least with managed apts), you may be looking either an exhausting commute or an exhausting home life.

Without knowing anything about George Mason's housing situation, I would definitely look into the possibility of grad school dorms/apartments. You could at least apply your student loans towards that. Or contact GMU's student housing office for some guidance on how to connect with fellow grads for off-campus housing.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscheldr View Post
Thank you!
I was in your shoes many years ago at AU. I agree with Tone's advice: look into student housing and stay close to the campus. I survived on my low stipend by living on-campus the first year and sharing an efficiency off-campus with my roommate the second year of grad school. An efficiency may seem insane, but the way we saw it, we were already just sharing a room in the graduate dorm and with the studio, we had our own kitchen and bathroom (no more grubby ones to share with others on the dorm floor) for half of our rent on-campus. I would also look into a basement apartment or renting a room in a private home. It will be tough, but not having to pay for graduate school tuition may be worth your sacrifice for a few years. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM

230 posts, read 758,132 times
I sent you a Direct Message (look in upper right hand corner of screen to open and read). My daughter went to George Mason a few years ago and I have provided some information on housing in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia