U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM

76 posts, read 117,587 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in Belmont Bay in Woodbridge? How do you like it? Are there many young families there? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
I don't live there but I am very familiar with the place. Very nice communities there and very close to VRE and I 95. You're in Woodbridge which can be a negative in many places but Belmont is pretty secluded from Woodbridge. I'll let others answer about the schools for this area.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I know from reading other posts that you proudly served as a police officer, so I truly value your opinion. Thank you for your service!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeAloha View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. I know from reading other posts that you proudly served as a police officer, so I truly value your opinion. Thank you for your service!

Thanks. I admit that I enjoyed driving into Belmont. Such a unique area.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 6,239,535 times
I wouldn't say Belmont is that secluded. I mean literally it's right off route 1 and pass the VRE station and it's right there. Right across route 1 is the old Cowles Ford that's been abandoned for years now, various used car dealerships, Woodbridge Pawn Shop and other really old strip malls.

It's a weird dichotomy. You've got these modern condos, town houses and McMansions on teeny lots, boat slips and golf course and it's right next door to 60/70s era bi-levels and ranch models. I went to Belmont Elementary in the late 80s and it was old then, I can't imagine the condition these days. I have an aunt that has a TH there and it's nice, but parking is a PITA when visiting. There aren't assigned spots so you end up just finding a random spot and walking over. This isn't Old Town Alexandria, why'd they design it that way? On the flip side, I have another aunt/uncle that live in the older section of Belmont and their streets are too narrow IMO.

I think they should have opened up more restaurants and shops there. The only restaurant is the one at the golf course. They should have done it like the homes around the Woodbridge Wegmans. Literally you cross the street and there are a handful of restaurants/shops and more queued to open up. They seem to be starting up a second phase of buildings there. On the other hand I haven't seen any new ground breaking in Belmont Bay. Did the developer run out of money?

Just some off the cuff observations...

Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I wouldn't say Belmont is that secluded. I mean literally it's right off route 1 and pass the VRE station and it's right there. Right across route 1 is the old Cowles Ford that's been abandoned for years now, various used car dealerships, Woodbridge Pawn Shop and other really old strip malls.

It's a weird dichotomy. You've got these modern condos, town houses and McMansions on teeny lots, boat slips and golf course and it's right next door to 60/70s era bi-levels and ranch models. I went to Belmont Elementary in the late 80s and it was old then, I can't imagine the condition these days. I have an aunt that has a TH there and it's nice, but parking is a PITA when visiting. There aren't assigned spots so you end up just finding a random spot and walking over. This isn't Old Town Alexandria, why'd they design it that way? On the flip side, I have another aunt/uncle that live in the older section of Belmont and their streets are too narrow IMO.

I think they should have opened up more restaurants and shops there. The only restaurant is the one at the golf course. They should have done it like the homes around the Woodbridge Wegmans. Literally you cross the street and there are a handful of restaurants/shops and more queued to open up. They seem to be starting up a second phase of buildings there. On the other hand I haven't seen any new ground breaking in Belmont Bay. Did the developer run out of money?

Just some off the cuff observations...
All your observations about Belmont are spot on. I really like the location of Belmont Bay. I mean, you couldn't get a sweeter deal with it comes to location to I-95, the VRE and, heck, even backtracking to a commuter lot a bit for carpooling. But it is situated in a "blight" of Woodbridge. An awful, awful eyesore. I think the county has intended for years to redevelop that area and I'm sure those residents have praying for years for it to happen. My mother came very close to buying a townhouse there when that was the first thing being built but just got cold feet about it for the reasons you mentioned, plus she wasn't thrilled living THAT close to train tracks.

I used to work with a guy who lived in the older 60/70s homes next to it and he really liked that neighborhood (that was 10 years ago).

Old 03-18-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
All your observations about Belmont are spot on. I really like the location of Belmont Bay. I mean, you couldn't get a sweeter deal with it comes to location to I-95, the VRE and, heck, even backtracking to a commuter lot a bit for carpooling. But it is situated in a "blight" of Woodbridge. An awful, awful eyesore. I think the county has intended for years to redevelop that area and I'm sure those residents have praying for years for it to happen. My mother came very close to buying a townhouse there when that was the first thing being built but just got cold feet about it for the reasons you mentioned, plus she wasn't thrilled living THAT close to train tracks.

I used to work with a guy who lived in the older 60/70s homes next to it and he really liked that neighborhood (that was 10 years ago).
While the community that abuts Belmont is older and not upscale at all it is a very quiet neighborhood. Calls for service here were minimal and much less than many communities in and around Woodbridge. The calls for service were pretty much non existent. Not to say nothing happens there as even the nicest communities have some crime happen. I'm not saying Belmont is the premier place to live in the DC area but it is a nice community and a safe community. As a 30 years (retired now) PWCPD officer there are not many neighborhoods in Woodbridge I would live in but Belmont is one of them.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM

2,678 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Other than the narrow streets I do like the older section of Belmont. I remember spending countless hours playing at the park in the middle of the community. We'd have pick-up games of basketball there and other than bruised egos no one started any trouble. It was a pretty safe neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I am glad to know that this area is considered to be safe. I will have to drive by the abandoned car dealerships/ pawn shops near by. I am now also wondering if the developer ran out of money due to the lack of retail and dining in the development. Lastly, the lack of assigned parking is a huge drawback for me. I lived in downtown Norfolk, on the UES in Manhattan, and in inner-city Albany, NY and am completely over the need to hunt for parking at the end of the day. All in all, seems like a nice safe, community, but likely I will look elsewhere based on the school system and some of the scenery in the surrounding area. I am so thankful for your time and opinions!! I am also glad that this thread will be available to others considering a move to the area.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,431,592 times
Inside the community it's really nice.

Anywhere outside the community, it's the middle of beat up old pawn shops and trashyness. My only problem with it is that it's located off an old part of the town. But other than that, it's okay. It's overpriced due to it being right off the Potomac River. Besides homes an the golf course, it's pretty isolated. The closest grocery stores and restaurants....eh honestly you probably wouldnt want to shop there unless you don't mind a bit of ghettoness.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 03-18-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia