Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM

236 posts, read 479,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've noticed they only do it on days of beautiful weather. Curious what they're doing when not doing it and what they're not doing when doing it.
my father lives in Burke, not far from the county courthouse there in Fairfax... it was maybe a few years ago I was there and an 11 year old boy was stabbed multiple times behind the gym there in Burke, this was in broad daylight after school let out and of course the county blamed it on MS13 but who really knows if it was gang related or not? could have been a just a knife fight.

this is what they are not doing when they are standing on the side of the road looking like roman soldiers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
How dare they enforce the law! The nerve.
Enforce the law efficiently not on 5% of the population that uses the highway system during that time.

Going door to door to check drivers licenses isn't too bright and neither is standing on the side of the road with a credit card reader.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
I just do not like to see my tax dollars being spent this way... there is real crime going on in my city and in the surrounding counties. I guess all the real work is left for detectives after the fact of the crime? Arlington and Fairfax police have been stripped of their title of LEO's but more so considered traffic enforcement officers.

I have no beef with the police really but you know take a look next time when you drive by someone that is pulled over, their car could use some work or new paint. I just notice the coincidence I guess or that people without new cars are up to no good?

in other words I don't know if it's the people in their junkie cars or if it is the police who are targeting them? (you know roll up behind adter you pass them and run your tags just because of the way your car looks)
You don't have to explain yourself. If you see something wrong with the law then speak out on it that's he great thing about being an American (vs a police/tax state). What you are saying is that you are are not a sheep that finds no fault in current laws.

Just like every candidate that runs for office (local, state or national).

Id love to see those guys show up at an assembly when a statesman is making the same complaint about the car tax or excessive permit requirements.

Go down to Richmond, tell the statesman Kanye style: "Ima let you finish on your rant about the car tax and all that but ITS THE LAW"

Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
double check your country and state inspection stickers my fellow Virginian's, in Fairfax usually around spring time on RT:123 not far from the courthouse just before it intersects with RT:50

This is a major operation usually involving around 4 officers... one to two flagging down and two to three writing tickets on both sides of the road.

I pretty much see this as entrapment and pretty insidious and low of the county to do but it is understandable in the last few years since they have stepped up their assault on the motorist of the area. (there are not many projects around anymore and the county needs to make money) they have no shame...

good luck!
I just noticed the other day that my safety inspection expired in January! I've never missed it before and I got it done the next day. whew. I don't know how I got away with it for so long, driving everyday.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I just noticed the other day that my safety inspection expired in January! I've never missed it before and I got it done the next day. whew. I don't know how I got away with it for so long, driving everyday.
In reality I believe only a small percentage of drivers are ticketed for infractions like these.
And Cosmic. Put the tinfoil on a little tighter and maybe do a little research in regards to tickets and revenue. You might be a little surprised.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
The county also has officers who drive around neighborhoods looking for parked cars with expired stickers. That's a lot less disruptive of traffic. The sticker traps have a somewhat un-American, "papers please" checkpoint feel to them.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The county also has officers who drive around neighborhoods looking for parked cars with expired stickers. That's a lot less disruptive of traffic. The sticker traps have a somewhat un-American, "papers please" checkpoint feel to them.

That is still an inefficient use of resources. How come my mechanic knows when my car is due for service but the county can't tell when stickers are expired. Just attach inspection to registration and do them all at the same time.

Bring in an inspection paper to get a renewal and eliminate the waste.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
That is still an inefficient use of resources. How come my mechanic knows when my car is due for service but the county can't tell when stickers are expired. Just attach inspection to registration and do them all at the same time.

Bring in an inspection paper to get a renewal and eliminate the waste.
Exactly. The county's inability to use technology wisely forces them to use more expensive manpower to enforce this law. And, the enforcement is not for safety reasons but simply to drum up more cash, IMHO. Back in the day if anyone got pulled over for a minor offense such as this a warning ticket would be issued. Generally these warnings allowed the driver two or three weeks to get their vehicle safety inspected, get their tail lights fixed, etc. But no longer. Two years ago I got pulled over for an expired safety sticker. Cost me $90. A couple of weeks later I got a call from the Virginia police fund (or something like that) wanting cash donations. I told them I already gave

Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
With tickets like these, if you show up to court with proof that you completed the inspection, the judge will 99% of the time dismiss it, especially if you don't have prior infractions of the same type on your record.

Also, if this is taking place on 123 near the intersection with 50, it is Fairfax CITY police, not county police doing it. Separate municipality, separate police force.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I think sticker enforcement is a great use of manpower....because they run across all sorts of serious stuff in the process.

Remember, Tim McVeigh got caught because of a dead plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia