U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM

4,061 posts, read 1,780,688 times
Default Why do people do this (pull into merge lanes to pass)?

I see this every morning. Where roads merge with the beltway, there are usually merge lanes to the right for cars coming onto the beltway from those roads. Those lanes usually end pretty quickly.

In heavy, but moving traffic, I see people behind me move from the regular traffic lane to the "merge" lane to pass. Where I see this happen is where Van Dorn Street merges on to the beltway. I have to stick in that right lane because I exit at Eisenhower which comes up immediately after the Van Dorn merge lane.

The people doing this usually can initially speed up and zip past 5-6 cars but then they have to slow down to merge back in (which slows down all traffic because people have to brake to let them in). And because some people won't let them merge back in, the end result is they only seem to get 2-3 cars ahead by doing this (I've been picking a car a day for a few weeks and watching it/counting how far ahead they get). LOL, yeah, I get bored driving in heavy traffic.

It seems to me, if they just stayed with the traffic and didn't merge, traffic for everyone (including the "merger") would move faster since no one would need to slow down.

Anyway, it annoys me, yes. But most of all, I can't wrap my head around "why" people do this. Like I said they don't get that far ahead, and it makes traffic worse for everyone, including them. I'd love to ask one of these drivers why they do it/ what's the benefit (maybe it's just in their heads... they "feel" like they are getting in front of people). But since I can't, I'll ask here (just in case anyone knows why people do this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 AM

1,817 posts, read 818,306 times
When I see this, I straddle both lanes so they can't pass. Let'em wait in line.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 AM

267 posts, read 218,077 times
Par for the course unfortunately.

This sort of behavior is just part of the "me first, screw everyone else" attitude that a large percentage of drivers in this area have. Its nothing new.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 AM

549 posts, read 523,095 times
"I'd love to ask one of these drivers why they do it..."

Because they're selfish idiots?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,612,641 times
Yeah, that's buffoonerific behavior for sure. I too will move over and block someone who tries that BS.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,323,720 times
Yup, I hate them too. But I don't block them since I see no reason why I should get involved with maniacs.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,349,893 times
I see it all the time. I don't block these people because I'm afraid of what I'll do, provoking me to strangle them. But in some cases, I've noticed, some of these merge lanes look like expansion lanes, giving those not from the area the impression a new lane has opened up.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
In heavy, but moving traffic, I see people behind me move from the regular traffic lane to the "merge" lane to pass. Where I see this happen is where Van Dorn Street merges on to the beltway. I have to stick in that right lane because I exit at Eisenhower which comes up immediately after the Van Dorn merge lane.
I also drive this route and see this happen every single day. They then ride in the Eisenhower exit only lane until the very last moment that they can squeeze into the through lanes. Oy.

I don't bother to straddle the line because there are people who are legitimately in that lane (i.e. they are coming off Van Dorn to merge onto the beltway).

It's more annoying to see people driving on the shoulder of the road. "Oh, my exit is only 1/2 mile up the road, I'll just drive on the shoulder until I get there because I'm just too entitled to wait."

Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM

2,854 posts, read 4,806,861 times
What's even stupider about this is that the cars waiting to merge back into traffic would actually get where they're going faster if they took the Eisenhower exit and then got immediately back on the Beltway. The light at the bottom of the ramp is almost always green. In summary: These people are idiots and their me-first behavior doesn't even benefit themselves much.

I'd like to see some barriers separating that lane from the rest of the traffic. I guess that when the construction is finished, it will be somewhat separate, and this behavior won't be as prevalent.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,349,893 times
I forgot to mention I did stop someone from using the merge lane to pass. I was coming home from work and behind me was the wife! and yes she attempted to pass me on the merge lane in which I put a halt to. I asked her why she was passing on the merge, ----to get home quicker. No, she did not know it was me in front of her until I blew her a kiss and left her in the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia