Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times

Advertisements

I'm around Brambleton. I'm looking for a good lawn mower that is: High Wheeled in the back, self propelled from the rear wheels, mulching, doesn't cost a $1,000! Is there anywhere that sells lawn mowers other than the typical three: Sears, Home Depot, Lowes in the Leesburg/Ashburn/Sterling area? Any "local" dealers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM

214 posts, read 499,658 times
I don't know about any local places, but Costco is actually selling a lawn mower in the warehouse. I've seen it priced for either $399 or $479. It's pictured here: Costco Connection - February 2012

Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
Sterling Mower
Lawn and Leisure (Sterling)

Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Bought an electric Ryobi at Costco. Made in USA, solid steel housing, self-propelled, and super-powerful, compared to the Black & Decker we had. Plus you can remove the sealed battery and charge it indoors. It was about $400, but I love not having to change oil or deal with gasoline.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 03-30-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
We bought one that sounds like that at TW Perry in Leesburg. It was a while ago -- many 8-10 years -- but it was in the $200ish range.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I got mine at a John Deere dealer about 10 years ago....I get it serviced yearly and it still starts on the 1st pull! I did have to replace the transmission last year, but it was MUCH cheaper than buying a new JD self-propelled push mower! I LOVE it!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM

298 posts, read 680,846 times
We bought a mower from Lawn & Leisure in Sterling many years ago, and they have been great. Besides selling the mower, they handled annual servicing, blade sharpening, and so on.

We have a guy cut our lawn now. He does nearly every home on our block. I don't want to derail the thread, but that's something to consider, the value of your time and the price of a mower vs. paying someone to maintain your lawn. There probably are lots of families like ours, who owned a mower and then stopped using it -- maybe also check Craigslist.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
We bought a mower from Lawn & Leisure in Sterling many years ago, and they have been great. Besides selling the mower, they handled annual servicing, blade sharpening, and so on.

We have a guy cut our lawn now. He does nearly every home on our block. I don't want to derail the thread, but that's something to consider, the value of your time and the price of a mower vs. paying someone to maintain your lawn. There probably are lots of families like ours, who owned a mower and then stopped using it -- maybe also check Craigslist.
We bought our mower on Craigslist. $50, plus $30 tune up and the lawn mower repair guy said it was in great shape.

We used to have a guy cut our lawn. It was $40 for biweekly service. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but then I switched careers into teaching, and now I can't claim I have no time in the summer to cut the lawn...and $40 for an hour's worth of work is hard to justify when you're not working full time!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
One of the Hondas is around $400 and was listed as a best buy by Consumers Reports. Home Depot is a Honda dealer, and there are some local shops that carry them as well. I have a lawn service, but they think I am nuts, since I will not allow any chemicals to be used on the lawn, to the point where they are to use nothing from their truck, unless I approve. The guy who owns the company sends his crew and tells them to use my equipment because I am picky about the environment for the dogs, nieces/nephews, etc. I have two Hondas, one that is the $400 model and is excellent, and one that I think was $800-$900 that has a few more features. His crew thinks I am nuts, I know, but I know my lawn mowers have never driven over chemicals that I do not want even in the most minute dose that residue on the wheels/grass clippings on the mowers could introduce to my lawn. I have used both Hondas myself, as well, and they are quite easy to operate, especially if I am able to work with them.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
something to consider, the value of your time and the price of a mower vs. paying someone to maintain your lawn. There probably are lots of families like ours, who owned a mower and then stopped using it
Lol!

I am an example of just the opposite. I had someone mowing my lawn and decided the exercise doing so and getting outside was the most valuable use of that time!

So I stopped using the lawn service and started mowing the lawn myself again - never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia