U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

30 posts, read 79,151 times

Advertisements

I guess this is sort of a "concerned citizen" type thing. Who can I write to or talk to or petition or whatever to try to get some wheels turning on putting a sidewalk in somewhere? I don't really know where to start but I'd love to have a conversation about it.

The area I'm talking about is Signal View Drive - between Manassas Drive and Signal Hill Road.

Signal View Drive

There is room for sidewalk here, but instead there's just a tiny shoulder and some rocks. There is a ton of foot traffic in the Blooms Crossing area of MP, as well as down near the Liberia Ave shopping centers, but it is disconnected because of a lack of adequate pedestrian thoroughfare here. It would also connect the water park to both neighborhoods so that people could safely walk there.

As it is now, people still walk and run on this road but it's kind of scary. I run in the Blooms Crossing area a lot, and really wish there were a way to get over to Liberia and further on to Old Town. But instead it's isolated unless someone wanted to go all the way up Manassas Drive past the VRE.

Anyone know that area, or have any comments or thoughts? I'd like to actually speak with someone on city staff about it but I'm not sure where to look (also admittedly haven't looked too hard, this forum is usually the first place I turn!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,807 times
If it is a sidewalk along a road, VDOT is the jurisdiction which owns the ROW. Let me tell you, having VDOT construct a sidewalk is not an easy process. VDOT doesn't believe any one walks anywhere, what with such affordable gas, why would you? Crazy hippies.

No but in all seriousness, usually its a long a drawn out political battle if the sidewalk is not associated with a new project. If its a new project, then VDOT starts demanding sidewalks be placed everywhere of course. A case of do as I say not as I do, VDOTs typical M.O.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM

187 posts, read 382,061 times
Yep, I know where you're talking about. I live off of Signal Hill RD, and I always see people walking on Signal View. It would be nice to have a sidewalk there for pedestrians especially since the park is right there.

Not sure who you would talk to though. Just wanted to chime in since I notice the same thing. I always go the speed limit there; there is always cops present around the curve before Roseberry!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,509 times
Default Sidewalk on Signal View Drive

You can write me Letter to the Editor and I can make it my Community Question of the Week. Patch is a great place to get convos started about things of concern in the community. That's why we were created. We had a great public conversation last week about the Conner House Conner House: What Would You Like to See Done? - Manassas Park, VA Patch
Jamie Rogers-Manassas Park Patch Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post
I guess this is sort of a "concerned citizen" type thing. Who can I write to or talk to or petition or whatever to try to get some wheels turning on putting a sidewalk in somewhere? I don't really know where to start but I'd love to have a conversation about it.

The area I'm talking about is Signal View Drive - between Manassas Drive and Signal Hill Road.

Signal View Drive

There is room for sidewalk here, but instead there's just a tiny shoulder and some rocks. There is a ton of foot traffic in the Blooms Crossing area of MP, as well as down near the Liberia Ave shopping centers, but it is disconnected because of a lack of adequate pedestrian thoroughfare here. It would also connect the water park to both neighborhoods so that people could safely walk there.

As it is now, people still walk and run on this road but it's kind of scary. I run in the Blooms Crossing area a lot, and really wish there were a way to get over to Liberia and further on to Old Town. But instead it's isolated unless someone wanted to go all the way up Manassas Drive past the VRE.

Anyone know that area, or have any comments or thoughts? I'd like to actually speak with someone on city staff about it but I'm not sure where to look (also admittedly haven't looked too hard, this forum is usually the first place I turn!).

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,874,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
If it is a sidewalk along a road, VDOT is the jurisdiction which owns the ROW. Let me tell you, having VDOT construct a sidewalk is not an easy process. VDOT doesn't believe any one walks anywhere, what with such affordable gas, why would you? Crazy hippies.

No but in all seriousness, usually its a long a drawn out political battle if the sidewalk is not associated with a new project. If its a new project, then VDOT starts demanding sidewalks be placed everywhere of course. A case of do as I say not as I do, VDOTs typical M.O.
Would it be different since MP is an independent city?

Correction -- the area OP is talking about is part of regular PWC. So yeah, VDOT would be the ones to reach out to. I'd talk to someone on the PWC Board of Supervisors, as there is a process by which VDOT will put in sidewalks and other improvements.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,161,802 times
I think it would depend on what kind of road it it. State road? Rural Route?, County Road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia