Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times

Advertisements

Love Josh Ritter. Saw him at the Birchmere several years ago. It was the perfect intimate venue for his music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Love Josh Ritter. Saw him at the Birchmere several years ago. It was the perfect intimate venue for his music.
9:30 club, valentines day show. He played for 2 and a half hours. It was epic. It was like he wanted to play there all night and was just having fun and enjoying it.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Does anyone know if they plan to rename the Filene Center, given the unfortunate demise of Filene's? (Perhaps not, since the latter doesn't undo the family's philanthropy that made the venue possible.)
Catherine Filene Shouse donated the land. It wasn't like Filene's Basement was the naming rights sponsor.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM

187 posts, read 442,700 times
Just ordered my Yanni tickets!!! I'm so stoked. Amazing is all I have to say!! And I saw that Dead Can Dance is coming too. Double amazing!!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
OK that does it. You guys have made me curious about this Dead Can Dance group. I'm buying tickets just to check 'em out.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsRain View Post
Just ordered my Yanni tickets!!! I'm so stoked. Amazing is all I have to say!! And I saw that Dead Can Dance is coming too. Double amazing!!
Shame on you for mentioning DCD and Yanni in the same breath! Seriously--Yanni? Don't they sell his CDs in gift baskets with Danielle Steele novels and bath salts? He's like the Handsy Yoga Instructor of male singers. Plus he looks like John Stossel, wearing pajamas.

But hey--if the Mustachioed One gives you pleasure, then more power to you. (I did admit to seeing Johnny Mathis.)

For the public record, Dead Can Dance is nothing like Yanni!

Hope you and Caladium both enjoy the show!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM

187 posts, read 442,700 times
Quote:
Shame on you for mentioning DCD and Yanni in the same breath! Seriously--Yanni? Don't they sell his CDs in gift baskets with Danielle Steele novels and bath salts? He's like the Handsy Yoga Instructor of male singers. Plus he looks like John Stossel, wearing pajamas.

But hey--if the Mustachioed One gives you pleasure, then more power to you. (I did admit to seeing Johnny Mathis.)

For the public record, Dead Can Dance is nothing like Yanni!

Hope you and Caladium both enjoy the show!
Hey, don't knock me for liking Yanni. My father got me into that a long time ago. His music is amazing. Watch a couple of videos on YouTube..the live stuff. BTW, the moustache is long gone.

I know that DCD is nothing like Yanni..i enjoy all types of music.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

I'm sad to hear that Yanni is now sans 'stache. He was a veritable piano-playing Ned Flanders. Perhaps I even may have unwittingly enjoyed his music--while on hold with a credit-card company, for example. Or while viewing My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

My wife has dragged me to see Andrea Bocelli and Riverdance--so I suppose I have no musical street-cred left to lose!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 03-28-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:

My wife has dragged me to see Andrea Boccelli and Riverdance--so I suppose I have no musical street-cred left to lose!
I have seen the strangest assortment of concerts at Wolftrap and had a blast at some very unexpected times, so my street cred is even worse. Who woulda guessed we'd have so much fun at Huey Lewis & The News! I mean, I was kind of embarrassed to go to that show. Left work early and didn't brag about what I was going to see that night, that's for sure. But you know what, that guy may be old but he was fun and the crowd was hilarious. It was one big party. And speaking about parties one of my favorite concerts last year was Indigo Girls, of all things. That's another who woulda thunk, but it turned out to be a fun night. As soon as it got started it became obvious that the audience was me and my husband and a whole lotta lesbians, which in and of itself is not such a notable thing but those gals could dance! Everyone around us was having so much fun they even got my husband up and dancing (well, more like swaying just a little-- he's just not the type who does that).

Last edited by Caladium; 03-28-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Around 1989-'90, Indigo Girls had broad, cross-demographic appeal and got a lot of airplay on alternative radio stations. "Closer to Fine" was a huge hit. I may or may not have had the self-titled album on cassette!

I can relate to your experience at their show; at the Johnny Mathis show, we were the only hetero couple under the age of 50 and probably the youngest people there. The dude has got some pipes.

I really want Rob Zombie to play Wolf Trap. I've read he puts on a real spectacle of a show. (I refuse to go to the Nissan Pavilion or Meriwether.) But I won't hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia