Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Alexandria in late spring or summer. He is going to be working in walking distance to the Eisenhower metro stop. We are coming from an area with a population density of 58 people per square mile - where $300,000 typically buys over 3,000 square feet plus a basement on 3 acres. Now that I have gotten over my sticker shock, I have a few questions. We would like to keep his commute to work as painless as possible. I have to have one floor because of a disability, so that one is a non-negotiable. We want someplace with at least 2 beds/2 baths (but would prefer 3 beds), over 1200 square feet but, more than anything; we want it to be safe. Since we would prefer to keep our housing total under $3,000 a month we know buying a single family home is not really an option. Heck, I’m not even sure there are any. Obviously a townhouse isn’t going to work with the stair problem. We are thinking about buying a condo in a high rise. We looked into Carlyle Tower, but those seemed incredibly small for the price. Everything around there did, for that matter. We know the there are huge differences between HOA fees. So…

1) Is it really as easy to use public transportation as has been implied?
2) I noticed that some places had assigned parking, to include ones in garages. Do they make accommodations for handicapped parking in some way? I know they have to if you rent, but what if you are buying?
3) Do you have many problems with electricity going out in storms and such? (worried about those elevators)
4)Do condos that have only three or four floors, like some of the ones in Kingstowne and off Eisenhower Road, generally have elevators, or would it require walking up stairs first to get to the condo? Is that a safe area? How would the commute to near the Eisenhower metro station be if driving? By public transportation?
5) From what I’ve seen The Watergate at Landmark, Park Place, The Greenhouse seem fairly close to each other but is there a big difference in them? Is that a safe area? How would the commute to near the Eisenhower metro station be if driving? By public transportation?
6) How about places on Martha Curtis Road, Stephenson Ave, and Edsall Road? Are these safe areas? Same questions about getting to work.
7) Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
You're asking a lot of questions for one post. I'll try to answer the ones I believe I'm familiar with.

1) It might be a learning curve for someone who isn't used to the process, but generally yes. All the buses have "kneeling" entrances available for those with mobility concerns. There are also elevators at the Metrorail stations. You'll usually see a notices about which stations' elevators are out; in that case, you'll be able to request a free shuttle to/from the next most convenient station.

3) Assuming the building is well-maintained, a back-up generator should kick in that will allow you to get off at the closest floor.

4) Kingstowne is newish suburbia; the Eisenhower Avenue area is safe as well. There should be elevators available for condo/apts higher than three floors but you may have to contact the particular property to confirm.

5) The West End of Alexandria can be a mixed bag. Professionals and the service workers they interact with can live in the same neighborhood if not necessarily the same building. The most direct route would be jumping in the car or bus for the stop-and-go traffic on Duke Street...or hopping on the train at the Van Dorn Metro Station and taking it one stop to King Street; depending on where your husband's job is in relation to Eisenhower, he will have a quick or healthy walk to work from there.

I do believe that Park Place is technically in Kingstowne.

6) See 5).

To be honest,you can probably find a 2BR/2BA easily in your price range in the Carlyle neighborhood in/near where your husband will be working. Alternatively, you may like the low-rise Belle View condos just outside the city down George Washington Parkway. Your basic shopping needs, including a Safeway supermarket, are located just across the street. The slightly lower density might make for an easier adjustment as well. In Old Town Alexandria, which abuts Carlyle/Eisenhower Avenue to the east, there are many low- and high-rise condos, of which a fair amount may be available for rent.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
For the amount of space you want, it is going to be difficult to find that in your price range in new construction high-rises. You will also want to ask about laundry facilities especially in older construction because sometimes the are located in the basements of adjacent buildings in garden style communities that may not have easy disability access.

Because newer construction high-rises tend to be the ones closer to Metro stops, you may have to make some trade-offs on commutes v. convenience/space/$$$. Maybe something in Shirlington which has an express bus to the Pentagon Metro, where your husband can switch to the blue line south down to Huntington. That is a newish high-rise area with a lot of conveniences for mobility-impaired people -- easy access to library, theater, restaurants, groceries. Another option is going with an older building such as Southern Towers (395 & Seminary) and again taking the express bus to the Pentagon and switching off. Southern Towers will give you more space for your rental $$$.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times
Regarding mass transit, if you find that you can't use the traditional Metrorail or Metrobus services, Metro also has a service called MetroAccess.

Details are on Metro's website, Metro - Home page.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
For the amount of space you want, it is going to be difficult to find that in your price range in new construction high-rises. .

??? 3000 a month for a 2Br/2 bath? there are 2BR/2 bath units available for $3035 at Flats 130, one of the priciest high end high amenity new buildings (completed in 2010) in the district (in newly fashionable NoMa). There MAY be buildings in Clarendon or Rosslyn (with river views) pricier than that, but I think you could find 2BR/2ba units for that amount in almost any new hi rise in NoVa.

I don't know this building, but it does have an elevator, and seems cheaper than even I would have expected. Wonder what the catch is? http://www.equityapartments.com/bbro...012:00:00%20AM

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
??? 3000 a month for a 2Br/2 bath? there are 2BR/2 bath units available for $3035 at Flats 130, one of the priciest high end high amenity new buildings (completed in 2010) in the district (in newly fashionable NoMa). There MAY be buildings in Clarendon or Rosslyn (with river views) pricier than that, but I think you could find 2BR/2ba units for that amount in almost any new hi rise in NoVa.

I don't know this building, but it does have an elevator, and seems cheaper than even I would have expected. Wonder what the catch is? Carlyle Mill Apartments - 2201 Mill Road - Alexandria - EquityApartments.com
It's easy to get that number of bedrooms & baths, but the sf is the part I was focused on. I've been in some of the Ballston and Alexandria new condos that are 2br/2ba and the rooms are very small. The OP said she has a disability, so if she has mobility problems and needs to use a wheelchair or similar, it's awfully rough to navigate in tight spaces.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
You would have to inquire but a lot of places have wheelchair accessible apartments which open things up a lot.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It's easy to get that number of bedrooms & baths, but the sf is the part I was focused on. I've been in some of the Ballston and Alexandria new condos that are 2br/2ba and the rooms are very small. The OP said she has a disability, so if she has mobility problems and needs to use a wheelchair or similar, it's awfully rough to navigate in tight spaces.

fair enough. Forget Flats 130 The place on Eisenhower I linked to, though, has 1196 sq ft units for $2125. I think at $3000, which really is a high price point for the region, 2BR w den and largish 2BRs should be doable in newish buildings, if not at the very top of the market buildings. (I think similarly for condos, but the calculations there are of course more complex, with condo fees etc playing a role)

I mean personally I wouldn't rule out older buildings in Landmark, or places like Park Center or Southern Towers - but if they are seriously willing to spend 3k a month I think they might well find 1200 sq feet in much newer buildings. This is not a cheap area, but sometimes we overestimate how expensive it really is.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Thanks so much for the answers. Yes, mobility is a concern. A big concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia