Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times

Advertisements

RT8909 - LOL, it has been up for discussion as to where he is commuting to and from .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT8909 View Post
I think her husband is presently living in Chambersburg and is commuting to Virginia. There are many people that make the commute, preferring not to live in Maryland. If this is correct, then the buses go to Pentagon, Rosslyn and Pentagon - where the metro can be picked up.

If I read her posts wrong, and he is commuting to Chambersburg, then she would be better served elsewhere.
Her husband will be working in Chambersburg. Her choice of words ("commuting To VA") is the confusing part, but it's clear he will work in PA. Middleburg, lovely as it is, is way too far a commute (and this is from someone who doesn't mind her commute of 1.5 hours each way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahr1family View Post
My husband is working from Chambersburg and will be commuting to VA. Someone mentioned Delaware, what towns in particular would be a decent commute from Chambersburg,PA? Thanks for everyone's time and responses, I can appreciate and am considering all of your suggestions.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

56 posts, read 109,361 times
Thanks for the replies and comments. Again, this relocation has been a work in progress. My husband took the job in Chabersburg so he would not have to travel anymore as he averaged more than 50% most of his almost 20 year career in Ohio. We live in a town for six years now, where I have been driving 2 hours a day in good weather to take my children back and forth to a Christian school. I work in an area 25 minutes from where I live as well. I average 30k miles a year on my vehicle between the kid's school,work, and activities. We are accustomed to driving here in Ohio so a commute if 1 hour or so is truly not a concern. From my hubby's job to Winchester it is just about a one hour drive. We have looked at VA for many reasons and yes, the commute is a concern. However, we are a family who is always on the go, the grass does not grow under our feet, which is one of the main reasons we have looked beyond the PA area. Interesting enough, many of my husband's co-workers have resided to living in eastern PA,MD, or VA. We are simply trying to inquire on various towns you fine folks would recommend. The process of relocating and finding an ideal area or one similar to our area is most likely not going to happen and we understand that. We are excited about all of the recreational activities your area has to offer, including an ocean within a 3 hour drive, not 12 hours!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
a 65 mile commute each way. Not in a mini car or Prius, I'm guessing?

Moderator Cut: Off topic

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-03-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
We are accustomed to driving here in Ohio so a commute if 1 hour or so is truly not a concern. From my hubby's job to Winchester it is just about a one hour drive. We have looked at VA for many reasons and yes, the commute is a concern.
Unfortunately, Winchester is located at the uppermost edge of Virginia, so any other town or city in Virginia will be longer than 1 hour. What is the uppermost limit of commute, so I can recommend "quaint towns" within that distance?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM

56 posts, read 109,361 times
I appreciate the responses. My hubby will go up 1 1/2 hours each way in commute time. Based on my research of housing in MD vs VA, it seems to me that there are many more options of housing choices in MD. The property taxes seem similar in MD when compared to Loudon county. The Winchester area is no doubt very low in property taxes, just not alot of housing inventory to choose from, very limited from the $500k and up range. What other towns should I look into that are "quaint" options in Frederick, Clark and Shenandoah counties? Many people have highlighted my request for a "quaint" town. My idea of "quaint" is a small to medium town that offers low crime,parks for the kiddos, and shops and restaurants in a walkable downtown. Ideally safe at night as well as the daytime.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
For up to $800k, you can find a lot of nice houses in Winchester. Winchester is just about Mayberry personified--have you checked out the Apple Blossom Festival? The entire Historic District (very quaint), Meadowbranch, Stonebrook. Were you looking around Frederick/Clarke County -- both have rural houses with land in that range? There is a Christian Academy as well as an independent school (Powhattan), a delightful country club, active swim teams, soccer, baseball, ballet, an historic library that offers all kinds of neat programs, boy scouts, girl scouts, and an official Soapbox Derby earch spring. You also have Shenandoah University which offers all kinds of muscial/drama productions etc year round.

What kind of activities are your children into?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The Winchester area is no doubt very low in property taxes, just not alot of housing inventory to choose from, very limited from the $500k and up range.

Must you spend at least $500K in Winchester? I just did a quick search, and I found a lot of really nice homes under the $500K mark. These range from old and historic to new and large to charming and quaint. Really a lot of interesting choices. Are you looking for a paticular style home?

Towns that I know of that have a "walkable downtown with shops and dining" are Winchester, Purceville, Middleburg (will be over the 1.5 hour limit), and Frederick, MD. You haven't mentioned anything in WV, but what about Harper's Ferry? Those on the MD forum can provide more guidance on other MD towns.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-03-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
a 65 mile commute each way. Not in a mini car or Prius, I'm guessing?
I believe the OP mentioned earlier in the thread that her husband drives a car that gets up to 48mpg. So it may indeed be a hybrid not unlike a Prius.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I believe the OP mentioned earlier in the thread that her husband drives a car that gets up to 48mpg. So it may indeed be a hybrid not unlike a Prius.

my goodness, so she did. I withdraw the Ali Khameni reference then. I WUZ WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia