U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,199,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Run Paradise View Post
It sounds like you are possibly considering being dependent upon using Rt 15 as the go between Virginia and Pennsylvania. My experience with someone who actually did this commute (to Manassas, not sure from where in Pennsylvania) is that, at least in the winter, when there was a wreck on the road traffic got backed up quite a bit since it is a two-lane road most of the way in Virginia and he would simply turn around and go home rather than show up to work. Some employers may tolerate this type of attendance but it's something to consider as a drawback to some towns on your list (i.e. Leesburg).
If she considered Purcellville or Leesburg (though he would have to backtrack a bit) there is always Rte 9 to Harper Ferry's Road and then get into MD and PA that way. So there is an alternative route.

OP - I think you really should take a look at Purcellville. It is a quaint little town. There's St. Theresa's in Ashburn to send your kids to school. There are many houses around town in your price range and it's about a 45 minute - 1 hour drive into DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
There's St. Theresa's in Ashburn to send your kids to school. .
Most people who use the term "christian school" are not looking for the local diocesan Roman Catholic school. She would have said "Catholic school" or "parochial school" instead.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM

56 posts, read 95,513 times
Purceville is really a cute town and based on my brief visit there,it seemed to offer subdivisions with a little bit of elbow space. Checked out Winchester again today. Very aesthetically pleasing town. Each time I visit, I really become more fond and appreciative of what the town has to offer. The locals we have met there seem very down to earth and friendly. There are three Christian schools there to choose from that are k-12 as well. Just wish we could find a neighborhood in Winchester with an upscale feel that has a lot size at least .75 or larger. It seems you are either within five feet of a neighbor or in the middle of a field with no human beings in sight. I am being told that Purceville is another 40 minutes from Winchester. Would Lovettesville or Lucketts be closer? Middleburg is really a neat town as well, but our budget will simply not afford even close to what we are wanting. I guess all I can do at this time is wait for the right house and location. Being an interior designer, I can work with any aesthetic issues a house may present, however, the floorplan and lot are tough obstacles to overcome. I have to say, Virginia really is a breathtaking state in so many ways, so picturesque. The more we visit VA, the more we can't wait to settle in.

Last edited by gahr1family; 04-04-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Did you look out Merriman's Lane? Those houses certainly offer "elbow-room". There is also Stonebrook and the neighborhoods off Jones Road. Are you working with a realtor? or just driving around?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 AM

395 posts, read 1,035,352 times
40 mins from Winchester to Purceville seems like a bit of a stretch to me .... 20 to 25 mins sounds a little more reasonable. Although, I guess it depends on where in Winchester you start from .... stoplights could add some time to the trip. Between the two is Berryville, a small town slightly south of the Rt 7 & 340 intersection.

I live in Charles Town, WV and don't get into Winchester all that often. But I thought that there was a very nice gated community with a lake slightly north of Winchester on Rt 522 .... Lake Holiday perhaps?

I've read through the thread, and since I've posted ... I'll ask .... did you consider Carlisle or Mercersburg, PA? I've only been through each town once or twice, but both seem to be pretty nice places. I know that you have mentioned that you want to get out of PA ... but I thought that I would ask.

Concur with your comment regarding VA ...... it is a breathtaking state. Especially Winchester and south towards Charlottesville. Take time to visit Colonial Williamsburg .... it's beautiful also.

Good luck on your home search.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahr1family View Post
Would Lovettesville or Lucketts be closer?
Neither Lovettesville or Lucketts provides the "walkable" area with shopping and restaurants you are desiring.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 AM

56 posts, read 95,513 times
After seeing homes and areas in MD and PA yesterday, we have have decided for certain on Winchester. Seems like an ideal town to raise our children in. We sense this city offers a strong community vibe and atmosphere which is what we have been looking for. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and insight regarding our relocation. Your time has been very appreciated and has proven to be very valuable in assisting us with this decision.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,171,817 times
That's great! I think you'll love Winchester and you're still close enough to DC for day visits into the city for the museums, history, etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,316,087 times
Congratulations! Winchester is a wonderful town.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,914 times
Hope it all works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or