U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,393 times

Advertisements

So, if this is totally uncool (speaking to moderators) then please remove this from city-data. The reason I post here the following concept, is because I have spoken to a lot of you guys, I've had my disagreements and arguments, but at the end of the day I find most of the people on this site very engaging, well spoken, and thoughtful. Thanks to city-data for having a forum concept that creates really great discussions.

Now the uncool part (possibly). On my own site, we are planning on creating a weekly town council live discussion which will last one hour and probably occur during lunch time on Fridays or 6 pm on Wednesdays. I want some of you guys, the ones who like a good debate, to join in if you are a fairfax resident interested in discussing the future of the county.

So, the live discussion is a moderated chat that is one speaker at a time, with time after each speaker for audience questions. Eventually it will include instant support or reject capabilities to show if ideas are widely agreed or disagreed upon. I really like discussing on city-data, the goal is not to lure you away, its to have a focused 1 hour conversation on a very narrow set of topics in an instantaneous method that isn't inline with more elongated threaded forum style discussions.

Heck I can even provide a weekly transcript of our discussions so people can read it on here without having to go on my site (if they dont want to discuss themselves).

So my question,
1) moderators if this is over the line, feel free to delete out this thread and I apologize
2) if its cool with the moderators to keep this thread, who would be interested in this 1 hour focus group/town council discussion. Say yes if you would like me to contact you prior to the first town council discussion to let you know when its going to happen

The purpose of the town council is to get issues that residents want to talk about, and maybe can be corrected, in front of a very interested group of fellow residents. As an individual we do not hold much sway over public policy, but as a group we become a voice that speaks in unity and can get the attention of policy makers. I believe greatly in the Socratic method, through the discussion of different views, we can create the best or atleast most utilitarian answers.

Thanks for consideration to both moderators and interested discussers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or