U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,317,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the first link isnt working for me - I take it its up quieter streets to Lincolnia to Beauregard to Holmes Run?
Exactly. If I am going from my house, I head up Ravensworth, then right on John Marr Dr, right on Columbia Pike to the veterinary office on Evergreen, then wiggle through to Mason District Park, then Whispering Ln, Old Columbia Pike, and then to Woodridge to Lincolnia.

Last edited by OrangeFish; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,852,182 times
Quote:
I also dont think what SCR posted was particularly misleading. I think TB will be able to evaluate Reston just fine.
Inaccurate is the word I'd pick. Also, "difference of opinion" if I'm allowed a phrase. He stated an impression that was false, and I corrected it.

At any rate, I agree that TB (and anyone else using this thread to learn about the area) will be able to evaluate Reston just fine... now that I've posted photos and he can gauge for himself. Which was all I asked people to do.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM

15,940 posts, read 36,070,058 times
Quote:
perhaps not, but if we had a very high speed train from baltimore to downtown DC we'd have gotten the best of both worlds, at least from my POV - not saying if thats feasible or not
That would be SO COOL. I did quite like Baltimore suburbs, a lot. They are filled with character. So is Baltimore, for that matter, just way too much crime in the city limits though.

That being said...a high speed train would be so easy to do.

Well, I'm living in Asia, where all of Japan has 200km/ph trains all over the place. Meaning that a Japan style train could put Baltimore and DC together in less than 15 minutes.

They also have those same kind of bullet trains in many other places as well - South Korea, Shanghai China, etc. France, I believe, etc.

DC to Baltimore...in 15 minutes. It could easily be done, and would solve a lot of problems for both cities. 1) DC's housing demands, and 2) Baltimore could potentially be jumpstarted/rejuvinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That would be cool. One city where everyone wants to be called "Hon" and another where everyone wants to be called "your Honor"! Though I don't think TB is as big a Baltimore fan as you are.
That is more or less true. I like the 'skeleton' of Baltimore, but didn't like the 'vibe' of the city. That being said, on this last trip, I did visit the suburbs around Baltimore, and I did like them. I quite liked Catonsville from driving around there. Arbutus/Halethorpe had a MARC stop which certainly appealed to me, as did their neighborhoods.

I looked online later at Pikesville, and that looked pretty cool. In short, the Baltimore area really appealed to me. As did the prices for what you get. But Baltimore City itself, I wasn't getting good vibes from the city itself at all.

Quote:
It seems to me that TB was hoping for a combination of the DC job market, a Pittsburgh aesthetic, and housing prices considerably below what's typical in NoVa. That being the case, if he comes here, South Arlington (at least for now), some parts of Montgomery and Prince George's County and/or Frederick might be his best bets, with occasional trips to NoVa like Falls Church and Annandale for ethnic food.
Yeah, I'm thinking South Arlington would be best.

I believe earlier on the thread, I was thinking of Rockville/Gaithersburg, as it just surprised me when I visited that it was better than I imagined. I guess I had low expectations. After much more thought and additional research, it seems like I'm coming up with the same problems/issues/situations as Fairfax County. So, it's coming down on list again.

There are a few PG County places I liked though - oldtown Greenbelt and Laurel....although both would have PG issues with bad schools, etc. But I liked those two areas. Recently I've been researching a bit more about Elkridge as it has a MARC station, and it's in Howard County (better schools), with proximity to Baltimore suburbs, which seemed very manageable and interesting. Granted, it's getting 'out there' though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There are some things I'll always miss about Northern Virginia. I miss the scenery. When I was facing my worst depression a drive out Route 50 through Middleburg, Paris, The Plains, etc. and then up through Boyce, Berryville, and back down Route 7 to Reston was cathartic. I also loved exploring Winchester and once trekked west all the way to Romney, WV. Shepherdstown, WV; Harper's Ferry, WV; and Burkittsville, MD were some other favored locales.
That was impressively beautiful out that way. Paris in particular, just a blip on the map, but gorgeous scenery. Both Loudoun and Fauquier Counties were very aesthetically beautiful. I'd probably never live out that way though, but certainly an area I'd love to drive leisurely through on an occassional basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Reston Town Center
Nice Reston photos. I should have gotten out that way as well. Kind of seems like a Rockville equivalent...maybe?

Quote:
Is he a fan of Pittsburgh though?
I'm a huge Pittsburgh fan. One of my favorite cities.

Quote:
well Id be curious what advantages he sees in pittsburgh over Baltimore, though I guess that would be pretty off topic for this forum.
I like the density of both cities quite a bit. What I like more about Pittsburgh is all the hills and forests and views all over the place. I also liked all the neighborhood feel throughout the city. Aesthetically beautiful there too, with the older houses, and walkable neighborhoods.

I also like Baltimore's neighborhood feel as well. What I don't like so much about Baltimore is the heroin and crack and such just seemed to have ravaged that city so much more to such a strong degree. Very large swaths of Baltimore just seem completely dilipitated and too far gone to recover. It just seemed like the bad areas were way too many, and the good areas were too few. Even when I went to the 'hip' areas of Fells Point and such, I didn't get a vibe that I liked from it. Not that I thought it was bad, I just didn't get that 'I'd love to live here' vibe from that 'good' area. That being said, I did find the Baltimore suburbs to be quite agreeable. I don't think of myself as a suburb person, but Baltimore suburbs seemed completely different in a good way. I also started looking on google maps for Pikesville and Towson and other places, and they also look quite interesting.

In short, I've always liked Pittsburgh, and based on a previous trip, I didn't like Baltimore at all. However, after this recent trip and checking out Baltimore suburbs, I've had a change of heart on metro Baltimore anyways.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-15-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM

15,940 posts, read 36,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Back to VA. Arlington - I am so glad you spent some time in south Arlington versus just heading straight to Clarendon. Based on what you’ve said about yourself in other posts I think this would be a great fit for you. Its got a little bit of city and its a little rough around the edges without being dangerous. Silver Spring does have problems with crime. While south Arlington gets cleaner by the day.

I used to live in south Arlington in Nauck, one of the few black neighborhoods in Northern Virginia. That’s not why I lived there. It was cheap plain and simple. I guess you could say that I was a black gentrifier and I read that a lot of Nauck natives did indeed find themselves priced out of their childhood homes and moved to Woodbridge. Its one of the few neighborhoods in Arlington to lose population in the past decade. Its also one of the most diverse parts of Arlington. Although even I will admit that its not the best neighborhood in Arlington. The closer you are to Columbia Pike the better that corridor is going to on and poppin’ in the next decade, especially if they ever get around to installing the streetcar. Hopefully it won’t become another Clarendon though.

I think realistically, if I were to live in the Metro DC area. As much as I want walkable and everything else. With all my interests and all the various factors to consider, I'd most likely opt for South Arlington. There are some tall buildings near George Mason or Glebe Rd...in that area...with a large Ethiopian Complex, and a large Target that is walkable to it. (Which I suppose is enough, considering the Fairfax alternatives). I'd be able to get into DC itself for jobs, or out of DC the other way, if I were to find a job going in another direction. Plus be near Vietnamese (Falls Church), Korean (Annandale), and Ethiopian (S. Arlington). I think I'd like that spot.

Even more desirable would be Capitol Hill in DC itself. But, I think now that I have a second kid (two kids total), and on and on. I don't see myself being able to realistically afford a good spot in the District itself.

As to other places. I'm reconsidering Baltimore again. I'm also thinking Frederick or Fredericksburg would be good. They'd all have a hefty commute. Other slightly closer-in options comparitively would be Manassas or Laurel.

I don't think I'd really enjoy much of the typical suburban stuff around the DC area. Recently, I was thinking maybe I need to check out Wheaton, MD. I drove through it, thought it was quite shabby. But, I didn't really get much of a sense of it. But it's way down the list.

Anyways, if I were to recap that statement. At this time, I'd be with choices #1 South Arlington, #2 Frederick, and #3 would be a tie between Manassas/Fredericksburg. If I could explore Baltmore more, maybe something in there might sneak imbetween one of those though.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,623,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think realistically, if I were to live in the Metro DC area. As much as I want walkable and everything else. With all my interests and all the various factors to consider, I'd most likely opt for South Arlington. There are some tall buildings near George Mason or Glebe Rd...in that area...with a large Ethiopian Complex, and a large Target that is walkable to it. (Which I suppose is enough, considering the Fairfax alternatives). I'd be able to get into DC itself for jobs, or out of DC the other way, if I were to find a job going in another direction. Plus be near Vietnamese (Falls Church), Korean (Annandale), and Ethiopian (S. Arlington). I think I'd like that spot.

Even more desirable would be Capitol Hill in DC itself. But, I think now that I have a second kid (two kids total), and on and on. I don't see myself being able to realistically afford a good spot in the District itself.

As to other places. I'm reconsidering Baltimore again. I'm also thinking Frederick or Fredericksburg would be good. They'd all have a hefty commute. Other slightly closer-in options comparitively would be Manassas or Laurel.

I don't think I'd really enjoy much of the typical suburban stuff around the DC area. Recently, I was thinking maybe I need to check out Wheaton, MD. I drove through it, thought it was quite shabby. But, I didn't really get much of a sense of it. But it's way down the list.

Anyways, if I were to recap that statement. At this time, I'd be with choices #1 South Arlington, #2 Frederick, and #3 would be a tie between Manassas/Fredericksburg. If I could explore Baltmore more, maybe something in there might sneak imbetween one of those though.
I feel so validated. From a 2012 post:

Quote:
It seems to me that TB was hoping for a combination of the DC job market, a Pittsburgh aesthetic, and housing prices considerably below what's typical in NoVa. That being the case, if he comes here, South Arlington (at least for now), some parts of Montgomery and Prince George's County and/or Frederick might be his best bets, with occasional trips to NoVa like Falls Church and Annandale for ethnic food.
Congratulations on #2.

Last edited by JD984; 05-12-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia