Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,133,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I don't know if this is particular to NoVa, but this is where I first heard it, and it's always been confusing to me (and it also drives me crazy) - People here refer to hispanics as "spanish." In CA, where I used to live, they're called Mexicans (because chances are, they were Mexican.)

Either way, I'm pretty sure none of the people here they refer to as being "spanish" are spanish; because if you're spanish, you're from Spain.
In New Mexico and Southern Colorado, members of families with Spanish surnames that were there when that region was owned by Spain commonly refer to themselves as Spanish, even though it was part of Mexico for about 25 years before becoming American territory. I guess natives of Central America, which followed a simllar history up to independence, could theoretically follow the same practice. However, I've never heard any Hispanics here referred to as Spanish. Spanish speakers yes, but not Spanish.

By that same logic some of us Virginians whose families were here before independence could refer to ourselves as English or British. I only do that in terms of my ethnicity or language spoken.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-03-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,447,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Also, 2 separate Braddock Roads -- a longer one in Annandale-Fairfax, and a shorter Braddock Road in Alexandria City. And, 2 Glebe Roads -- a longer one in Arlington, and a shorter spur in Alexandria.

Commuting by "Slugging" is also a local practice, not generally known outside the area.
Don't forget two Beulah's - one in Franconia, one in Vienna.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM

648 posts, read 1,328,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
In New Mexico and Southern Colorado, members of families with Spanish surnames that were there when that region was owned by Spain commonly refer to themselves as Spanish, even though it was part of Mexico for about 25 years before becoming American territory. I guess natives of Central America, which followed a simllar history up to independence, could theoretically follow the same practice. However, I've never heard any Hispanics here referred to as Spanish. Spanish speakers yes, but not Spanish.

By that same logic some of us Virginians whose families were here before independence could refer to ourselves as English or British. I only do that in terms of my ethnicity or language spoken.

Weird thing is, they don't refer to them as Spanish on the west coast, that I've ever heard, anyway. I've only heard it here.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Weird thing is, they don't refer to them as Spanish on the west coast, that I've ever heard, anyway. I've only heard it here.
That's because there is a much smaller percentage of West Coast residents whose families go back before the beginning of the American period than in NM. Nearly all hispanics in CA are the progeny of 20th/21st century immigrants from Mexico (in particular Baja California) who have a stronger and longer identity with that country than in some places in the interior Southwest.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,290,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
In New Mexico and Southern Colorado, members of families with Spanish surnames that were there when that region was owned by Spain commonly refer to themselves as Spanish, even though it was part of Mexico for about 25 years before becoming American territory.
And on the other side - the two years I lived in New Mexico was the only time I've ever been called "Anglo".

Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Calling them all Mexican in NoVa is just as inappropriate, as only about 30% come from Mexico. I work at a High School in Phoenix, and I guarantee you that none call themselves "Spanish".

Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 AM

648 posts, read 1,328,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Calling them all Mexican in NoVa is just as inappropriate, as only about 30% come from Mexico. I work at a High School in Phoenix, and I guarantee you that none call themselves "Spanish".
I've never heard them called "Mexicans" here, just on the west coast.
Of course they don't call themselves spanish, but I've heard everyone here refer to them as being spanish.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,508,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
And on the other side - the two years I lived in New Mexico was the only time I've ever been called "Anglo".

when I was a teen I attended a Jewish summer camp - I had a friend from Texas. In the course of a political discussion, he insisted that he and I, like everyone who wasn't black or hispanic (and asian and native american, but I don't think that came up) was an "anglo saxon" Being a northeasterner, and bookish enough to be aware of such things, I insisted that Jews are NOT anglo saxons. I couldnt understand where he'd gotten the idea. It was only a couple of years later that I became aware that in the southwest all non-hispanic whites are "anglos" (the use of anglo saxon instead of anglo was his confusion, I guess)

Irony - in Israel, Jews who are natives of English speaking countries (USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and South Africa) are routinely called "anglosaxonim"

Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM

1,744 posts, read 2,370,234 times
Ahem .... returning to NoVA:

I used to have office meetings and try to meet up with friends who lived in Crystal City. Have you ever tried to give directions in Crystal City?

"Let's meet at Crystal Mall."
"Which Crystal Mall?"
"You know, just north of Crystal Plaza."
"Which Crystal Plaza?"
"Oh heck, you know, the one south of Crystal Square."
"Which Crystal Square?"

If I hadn't climbed onto the metro and left a couple of years ago, I'd probably still be wandering around looking for the room number today.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,046,573 times
Snotty NoVan: "I don't know if I'd go to Falls Church. There are so many undocumented immigrants there now."

Newcomer: "What's the problem? I'll just go to the English-language service, for Pete's sake."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia