Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"Gotta run, late for my flight at National..."

"Don't you mean Reagan airport?"

"Whatever."
This one STILL pains me. I'm sorry, but I'm still pretty bitter about the naming spree that particular congress went on and insisted that metro spend money to change their signs.

BLECH

I will call it National forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
"It's easy to get around in Arlington since many of the streets are numbered!"

I think I'll be forever scarred from a pre-GPS trip my family took to meet my sister's first-year college roommate in Arlington before school started. It took us forever to find the little stretch of the street where her house was located.

Last edited by JD984; 03-30-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
"It's easy to get around in Arlington since many of the streets are numbered!"

I think I'll be forever scarred from a pre-GPS trip my family took to meet my sister's first-year college roommate in Arlington before school started. It took us forever to find the little stretch of the street where her house was located.
LOL I can remember getting lost one time and no matter which direction we turned every street seemed to be named Glebe.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM

298 posts, read 680,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I will call it National forever.
I always call it DCA. Or National. But mostly DCA, and I'm not sure why. Because I never call Dulles "IAD."

The thing that I think would confuse people outside this area is when you say you live "in the District." They'd think a school district or something.

Also, I don't know if Caladium was serious, but I thought "Sterling Park" was Sterling?! A neighborhood or something within Sterling. Like Brambleton in Ashburn. Maybe I just don't know enough about Loudoun.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
I always call it DCA. Or National. But mostly DCA, and I'm not sure why. Because I never call Dulles "IAD."

The thing that I think would confuse people outside this area is when you say you live "in the District." They'd think a school district or something.

Also, I don't know if Caladium was serious, but I thought "Sterling Park" was Sterling?! A neighborhood or something within Sterling. Like Brambleton in Ashburn. Maybe I just don't know enough about Loudoun.
LOL, yes, Sterling Park is a community in Sterling. The confusion starts because it's one of 5-6 communities that have been assigned the name Sterling. But since Sterling Park is the only one that has the word Sterling in its name, people who don't live nearby tend to assume that Sterling applies only to the neighborhood around the DMV (i.e. Sterling Park). That's how you end up with situations where you can be standing in a community considered part of Sterling and be told you have to drive ten miles to get to Sterling.

Even VDOT gets confused about it. I remember when we first moved here there used to be a sign on Rt. 7 that said "Sterling 7 Miles". What was funny was the sign was on property that was actually in Sterling.

Yet another reason why I wish they'd officially break up Sterling. It's just too big. They could officially assign the various communities the names that are commonly used. (Or, they could use the names that the county uses for election districts--that works too.)

Last edited by Caladium; 03-30-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"Gotta run, late for my flight at National..."

"Don't you mean Reagan airport?"

"Whatever."
"I will NEVER call it Raegen!" I've learned to just say National unless I want to get into a political debate.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,599 times
"Where do you work?"

"Bahhhlstin"

"You work in MASSACHUSETTS!?!"

"No, in Ahhhlingtin. Wilson and Glebe, near the Bahhhlstin Mall."

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

"I'm spending the weekend in Paris."

"Is it a long flight?"

"No, we're driving."

Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
"Where do you work?"

"Bahhhlstin"

yes, that one is difficult. To the untrained ear, it is hard to not hear "Boston"

Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
"Where do you work?"

"Bahhhlstin"

but ahhlington IS in massachusetts - its right next to Belmont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia