U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

22 posts, read 75,393 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating to one of the three areas mentioned above this spring and would like to know if you or those you know have strong opinions as to whether the three condo markets are still soft, flat, or strong. Although I've read on C-D that those areas are fairly constantly in demand due to proximity to mass transit and the convenience to amenities, I've looked at real estate listings and often seen foreclosure listings for condos in the major condo complexes, so I'd like to hear from you. My first choice is most likely around the Shops at Shirlington but attracted enough to the greater nightlife options along Orange line corridor to keep it under consideration.

My work is south on I-95 which is why Shirlington is my first choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,652,808 times
Yea its booming, not sure how new urban developments around Fairfax might effect this, but right now Arlington is the gold standard in urban in this area

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

111 posts, read 264,344 times
Shirlington is not bad, but it is still expensive. Clarendon is crazy expensive, especially with all the updates they are doing. It is also pretty loud. Ballston is strong also, not much has been affected from what I have seen. Ballston is more business than pleasure like Clarendon. Shirlington is getting better and as long as you are south of 4 Mile Run IN Shirlington area you should be fine.

Bottom line is if you move into any of those 3 neighborhoods make sure you dont ware a belt so they can bend you over quicker. It is crazy expensive considering.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,652,808 times
? Considering what?

In Manhattan a place like most of the 2brs sold in Clarendon or Rosslyn would sell for over 1million. Considering they sell for 500,000 those are very good deals.

If you are a house person, you wouldnt get it, but some of us like living in high rises and having more money to use on vacations and good food than on gas (whats it at in this area on average again 12000 dollars per year per household?)

Good luck with that, for those of you keeping track thats the same budgetary requirement as 200,000 dollars more in mortgage/housing cost. Keep thinking living closer is unaffordable, if anything living further out is proving to be unaffordable.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times
Im a huge fan of the walkability and vibrancy in those areas - I WOULD note that there's a lot of new hirise housing in the pipeline in those areas (well in clarendon and ballston, not so much in Shirlington right now) and similar both in Arlington, elsewhere in NoVa, and elsewhere in greater DC (though most of the stuff in pipeline is expected to be rental units) I don't expect any crash, but I could easily see a flattening out or minor drop, depending on how much latent demand there really is. I have seen forecasts of a (small) drop in rents in 2013, but the condo market is also driven by issues of financing, etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM

48 posts, read 99,077 times
Cant' say for the others, but for Clarendon, no there's definitely NOT a lot of new condos going up. What you see being built now is either commercial or apartments, not condos. This could change before these buildings are completed, but for now there is nothing new on the horizon, condo wise. And yes, everybody wants one - there is zero inventory right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or