U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 AM
 
Location: At home
112 posts, read 102,480 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I have to point out that the Nationals have done zero in their history.
Well, considering that the Nationals are in only the 8th year of their existence as a DC team, I'm not terribly concerned about that fact. By the way, aren't the Phillies the first MLB team to have lost 10,000 games? That statistic means about as much as the fact that the Nats have done nothing in their very short history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
 
53 posts, read 31,239 times
Reputation: 20
I am someone that thinks before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalGuy61 View Post
And who are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
 
53 posts, read 31,239 times
Reputation: 20
The point, that you somehow still do not understand, is that your "analysis" does not demonstrate anything. From a statistical point of view, it is total nonsense, for the reasons I took care to outline above. Again, this is not my opinion, it is a mathematical fact. There is nothing funnier than watching someone that does not understand data analysis trying to lie with statistics.

When it comes right down to it, there is no objective way to measure whether or not a city is a good "baseball town," which is why the debate is interesting. That said, one could make a pretty convincing argument that no good baseball town would: (1) have to engage in a ridiculous marketing campaign to get people to show up for a weekend series against the defending division champions and (2) effectively give away tickets on weekdays. I love the fact that I can go root, in person, against the Nats for less ($2 tickets, I kid you not) than the cost of my metro ticket on Tuesday nights! Oh wait! I just got an email. Tickets for the May 14th game against the Padres are now only $1!

And in response to your other comment, in the section that I sat in this weekend (Section 139, right behind Werth), Phillies fans did in fact overwhelmingly outnumber Nats fans. Here is how things transpired...

I got there early on Saturday and watched the section fill out, which was pretty funny. When I got there, the section was virtually empty, except for four Nats fans. Three of them were older and quiet, but one of the guys kept running his mouth. We will call him Captain Nat. About half an hour later, a group of around 10 Phillies fans showed up. They were young, rowdy, drunk, and clearly there just to heckle Werth. Captain Nat got a little quieter. After another 10-15 minutes passed, a massive group of Phillies fans, equally rowdy, showed up and filled out a large portion of the section (I later found out they were a part of a bus trip that bought tickets when they caught wind of the Take Back the Park campaign). After the second group of Phils fans showed up, nary a word was heard from Captain Nat, even when Werth hit his home run.

Sure, the Phils lost the game, but it was priceless to watch a busload of Phils fans shut down a guy that really bought this Take Back the Park nonsense. If only I had the foresight to put together a time lapse video...




Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalGuy61 View Post
You continue to want to argue against something that I've never claimed. Go back and re-read the posts that you've responded to and in not one of them will you find that I wrote that DC is a good baseball town, let alone a better one than Philadelphia. My point has been, and continues to be, that your belief that Philly is a good baseball town is without foundation. Sorry if my use of a simple correlation that at least attempts to demonstrate in some objective way the relationship between victories and attendance between Philadelphia and St. Louis (a real baseball town by anyone's judgment) is not acceptable to you. It's a simple, clean demonstration of my point that you have yet to be able to refute with anything other than arrogant, albeit futile, brickbats and no ability to substantiate your opposing opinion about the quality of Philadelphia as a so-called baseball town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
 
19,178 posts, read 18,942,986 times
Reputation: 3895
"That's what you get!"..."You deserve it!"...they yelled at Werth as he was helped from the field with a broken wrist. Those were not fans.

As it happens, I was at CBP the night Strasburg blew his elbow out. The message we got then from the Utley-shirted folks around us was one of shared shock and grief and hopes that he'd be alright. Those were fans.

----------

And just for the heck of it...

Jonathan Papelbon starts the ninth inning for the Phillies.
Daniel Murphy struck out swinging. None on with one out and Ike Davis due up.
Ike Davis walked. Runner on first with one out and Justin Turner due up.
Justin Turner struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Nickeas due up.
Mike Nickeas doubled to left. Runners on second and third with two outs and Tim Byrdak due up.
Jordany Valdespin pinch-hits for Tim Byrdak.
Jordany Valdespin two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Ike Davis and Mike Nickeas.

Jordany Valdespin??? LOLOLOLOLOL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
 
2,828 posts, read 4,604,087 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
"That's what you get!"..."You deserve it!"...they yelled at Werth as he was helped from the field with a broken wrist. Those were not fans.

As it happens, I was at CBP the night Strasburg blew his elbow out. The message we got then from the Utley-shirted folks around us was one of shared shock and grief and hopes that he'd be alright. Those were fans.
I think there is a bit of a difference between the old-school or from-childhood fans (like Hawkwnd, who posted a few pages ago) and those who jumped on the bandwagon in the past 6 or 7 years.

Philly fans have always had a reputation for being obnoxious, but I don't remember Phillies fans as being particularly obnoxious in the past. Philly gets most of its "obnoxious fan" rep from Eagles fans. I think what's happened recently is that a lot of people who were hardcore Eagles fans latched on to the winning Phillies, and those fans are the more obnoxious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM
 
19,178 posts, read 18,942,986 times
Reputation: 3895
So, these are more or less feral fans, then. Unbridled beasts immune to the inculcation of any sort of manners or related civilizing forces and factors, yet still with access to credit cards and busses. Perhaps something should be done about that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
 
53 posts, read 31,239 times
Reputation: 20
The same could be said of Congress, lobbyists, and a good portion of the rest of the DC metro area. The only difference in DC is that the local brutes don't attend the games. In fact, no one attends the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Unbridled beasts immune to the inculcation of any sort of manners or related civilizing forces and factors, yet still with access to credit cards and busses. Perhaps something should be done about that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
 
Location: At home
112 posts, read 102,480 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUinNoVa View Post
I am someone that thinks before posting.
That's an obvious misstatement right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: At home
112 posts, read 102,480 times
Reputation: 87
Good God! Are you always this overbearingly verbose? How can anyone tolerate you for more than 5 minutes in person? Look, I have not once tried to make the case that DC is a good baseball town. It's plain to anyone who pays any attention to things like this that it is not. Would you please, finally, address the actual point of contention, which is whether Philadelphia IS a good baseball town? I am on the negative side of that question. You inexplicably take the affirmative, but have offered not one scintilla of evidence to substantiate your claim. You seem to be under the misconception that "proving" that DC is not a good baseball town somehow supports the argument that Philly is one. They can both be poor, or perhaps even mediocre baseball towns. I would argue in favor of the latter characterization. If you want to continue arguing that Philadelphia is a good baseball town, would you please provide some kind of objective data to support your argument? Thus far, you have failed to do that. If you can't, then please give it up and quit trying to make a case against something that I've not once written on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUinNoVa View Post
The point, that you somehow still do not understand, is that your "analysis" does not demonstrate anything. From a statistical point of view, it is total nonsense, for the reasons I took care to outline above. Again, this is not my opinion, it is a mathematical fact. There is nothing funnier than watching someone that does not understand data analysis trying to lie with statistics.

When it comes right down to it, there is no objective way to measure whether or not a city is a good "baseball town," which is why the debate is interesting. That said, one could make a pretty convincing argument that no good baseball town would: (1) have to engage in a ridiculous marketing campaign to get people to show up for a weekend series against the defending division champions and (2) effectively give away tickets on weekdays. I love the fact that I can go root, in person, against the Nats for less ($2 tickets, I kid you not) than the cost of my metro ticket on Tuesday nights! Oh wait! I just got an email. Tickets for the May 14th game against the Padres are now only $1!

And in response to your other comment, in the section that I sat in this weekend (Section 139, right behind Werth), Phillies fans did in fact overwhelmingly outnumber Nats fans. Here is how things transpired...

I got there early on Saturday and watched the section fill out, which was pretty funny. When I got there, the section was virtually empty, except for four Nats fans. Three of them were older and quiet, but one of the guys kept running his mouth. We will call him Captain Nat. About half an hour later, a group of around 10 Phillies fans showed up. They were young, rowdy, drunk, and clearly there just to heckle Werth. Captain Nat got a little quieter. After another 10-15 minutes passed, a massive group of Phillies fans, equally rowdy, showed up and filled out a large portion of the section (I later found out they were a part of a bus trip that bought tickets when they caught wind of the Take Back the Park campaign). After the second group of Phils fans showed up, nary a word was heard from Captain Nat, even when Werth hit his home run.

Sure, the Phils lost the game, but it was priceless to watch a busload of Phils fans shut down a guy that really bought this Take Back the Park nonsense. If only I had the foresight to put together a time lapse video...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,237 posts, read 1,357,141 times
Reputation: 989
Philly begins and ends with the show Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Spot on, I think it was originally pitched to FX as a documentary.

I dont know how anyone can defend philly fans for anything, its basically just a known fact in the sporting world, so much so that any prime time philadelphia NFL game will get the hackneyed mention of the santa incident, the booing of children incident, and the general riotous nature of the fan base.

"You jammin me bro?"

On a separate note, I think the nats should feel like they have come of age, people are actually starting to care about them enough that controversy and rivalries are forming. I for one love it. As a lifelong skins fan, I found nothing greater than the days in which the hatred between the cowboys and skins was palpable. Now we aren't even considered their rivals say them. I will say one thing about dallas though, they're fans while annoying to discuss sports with, atleast are civil, something that can't be said about philly fans as they fist pump their way from games to the shore every summer.

PS, I for one am tired of Pennsylvanians arriving here like an unstoppable hord. Are they having some sort of roast beef famine up there? Derrr taken errr jerbs. (just being cheeky please dont yell at me I really dont care)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top