U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM

3,788 posts, read 3,004,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Why do you hate metro?
Let's see...it's terribly unreliable, expensive, filled with germy people, questionable in terms of safety (yes I know auto accidents happen all the time) and I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that a dead body could ride around all day without anyone noticing. Especially less than a year after a huge fatal collision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 PM

22 posts, read 51,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Let's see...it's terribly unreliable, expensive, filled with germy people, questionable in terms of safety (yes I know auto accidents happen all the time) and I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that a dead body could ride around all day without anyone noticing. Especially less than a year after a huge fatal collision.
Less than a year? It's been nearly three years since that incident.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarednova View Post
Less than a year? It's been nearly three years since that incident.
Re-read my post. I said that the dead body riding around all day was less than a year after the fatal collision.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM

83 posts, read 247,922 times
What is the timeframe for commuting from the cities? If you have to be at work in DC at 7am. What time would you need to be at Manassass? Vienna? Falls Church?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,186,053 times
Go to the Metro Trip Planner online at their website. DC encompasses a heck of a lot of stops and different lines. Plug in where you are leaving from and your destination and it will tell you the travel time.

Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Re-read my post. I said that the dead body riding around all day was less than a year after the fatal collision.
Capschick

Thats fine you dont like metro. You dont want to know what kind of hellish commute this area would have if metro wasnt here. Actually the commute would be fine, because no world class corporations would ever relocate to a place without proper design of infrastructure.

Does metro have issues? Yes, fiscal solvency due to operations costs is the biggest. But safety is not, it is still the MOST reliable and safest form of transportation. Just because their incident, (counted on one hand over their over 40 year existence) is very publicly covered doesn't mean it is unsafe, in fact rail travel remains the safest form of transportation in this country.

In 40 years there have been only a dozen or so DC metro deaths that were actually accident caused
In 40 years there have likely been upwards of 10,000 (hell I could be low balling it, that just assumes 4 people per week) who have died in car related incidents in this area.

If you dont like metro, keep enjoying the drive to work. The rest of us would rather take a far more efficient, faster, and cheaper mode of transportation.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,186,053 times
Kevin Deiss died on the tracks at Metro 2009. It was very early in the morning. The cameras show that he fell onto the tracks and it wasn't until someone else came into the station to take the train that Metro authorities were alerted. Unfortunately, it was too late as the train was coming and ran over him. I guess the station manager wasn't paying attention to the cameras.

Look, I think Metro can be convenient if you are well and able bodied and don't need an elevator. But I think the service and caring of Metro employees absolutely sucks.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,255 times
Agreed.

The culture of Metro needs to be fixed, the issue is tenorship and cushy benefits. These things need to be addressed by the authority to see if it is a vital issue to keep these or if it is political. I wouldn't care about the salaries, which in most actual operators cases are between 50 and 80k depending on whether its a train or bus, if the benefits were 35% on top of that. They receive 25k in benefits every year between health/pension/paid time off. The average virginian gets about 10% of their salary in benefits, and the average union worker in this country gets about 20-25% of their salary in benefits. Even if it was controlled back to that typical union level, the system could save a hundred million dollars per year.

Beyond that, this would show that you can't just do a crappy job and hold on to a cush position. Totally agree with that, but dont throw the baby out with the bathwater people, the system moves more people every day than any other corridor in this region.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Capschick

Thats fine you dont like metro. You dont want to know what kind of hellish commute this area would have if metro wasnt here. Actually the commute would be fine, because no world class corporations would ever relocate to a place without proper design of infrastructure.

Does metro have issues? Yes, fiscal solvency due to operations costs is the biggest. But safety is not, it is still the MOST reliable and safest form of transportation. Just because their incident, (counted on one hand over their over 40 year existence) is very publicly covered doesn't mean it is unsafe, in fact rail travel remains the safest form of transportation in this country.

In 40 years there have been only a dozen or so DC metro deaths that were actually accident caused
In 40 years there have likely been upwards of 10,000 (hell I could be low balling it, that just assumes 4 people per week) who have died in car related incidents in this area.

If you dont like metro, keep enjoying the drive to work. The rest of us would rather take a far more efficient, faster, and cheaper mode of transportation.
Relax, buddy. Do you work for Metro? Otherwise I'm not sure why you are so defensive, nor why you would presume to think that you speak for "the rest of us." I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are. I lived in Northern Virginia before there even was a Vienna Metro station, so you don't need to try to school me on it, or attempt to offer up stats (BTW, there actually have been more than 5 incidents on Metro).

Thanks, since moving out of the area, I do in fact enjoy my drive to work. It takes 10 minutes.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,584,186 times
YES, another opportunity to post a Remy Song!

Metro Song - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia