U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 13,761 times

Advertisements

Looking at renting a 2-3 bedroom, with 1-2 car garage townhouse under $3000 and close to 495 loop. Will be commuting some days to Waldorf md, and some to NE DC to arrive at 10 am and return back after 6-630 pm, so I can use the 395 HOV I believe at those times. Will have 1 child in a preschool full time. How is the area near cameron station / van dorn metro / eisenhower ave/ duke st in zip 22304 VS Kingstown area townhouses in zip 22315 VS Huntington metro area 22303? There is some even in 22312 area.

any zip codes better/worse than others? I have to drive so metro stations is not a huge concern.

Public Schools are not a concern for 2-3 years, looking for safe, newer neighborhood, with garage, and decent commute to those areas.

what time should I estimate for commute? thinking 45 min to each

Anywhere else in nova anyone suggests, annandale, and Springfield also have some TH's available.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,702,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaab View Post
Looking at renting a 2-3 bedroom, with 1-2 car garage townhouse under $3000 and close to 495 loop. Will be commuting some days to Waldorf md, and some to NE DC to arrive at 10 am and return back after 6-630 pm, so I can use the 395 HOV I believe at those times. Will have 1 child in a preschool full time. How is the area near cameron station / van dorn metro / eisenhower ave/ duke st in zip 22304 VS Kingstown area townhouses in zip 22315 VS Huntington metro area 22303? There is some even in 22312 area.
Kingstowne is a little more shall we say green than the Van Dorn TH area. As in trees, parks etc. Cameron station and the TH's right at the VD metro are basically surrounded by asphalt. Cameron does have more play areas, but I would say the VD TH's would be best suited for those that want a quick trip to the metro, don't want a lawn etc. Many of the units garages have back entrances - meaning you have alleys underneath your back deck.

Since you are using the HOV and driving to MD, Kingstowne would get you the closest access to both the HOV lanes and I95.

Not as familiar w/Huntington area - but I do know it is a little older - not sure if there is any new TH construction that might be appealing. But the trip to the HOV would be tough - you would have to get on either I95 West to 395 and then catch the next ramp to HOV or drop down into the Kingstowne area to pick up the ramp there, or take telegraph through to Kingstowne and pick up the ramp - none of those the most efficient.

The average 2 garage in Kingstown is about $2700, or was last year - not sure what the going rate is this year, but I hear rents are increasing. Island Creek - which is just across the street from Kingstowne is a little cheaper - but harder to find 2 car garages.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,096,359 times
RE: Huntington, there is a new TH community off Huntingon Ave. that is less than 5 minutes from I-95/495 (and a healthy walk from the Metro FYI). It would also be the most convenient for your trips to Waldorf as MD Route 5 is just over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. The surrounding area is basically older housing stock and upscale-leaning high-rises. The limited retail on Huntington Avenue may not be so appealing but there are plenty of midscale retail and restaurant options further south on Route 1.

Annandale and Springfield are fine. Some people find the area of Annandale outside the Beltway/I-495 and West Springfield to be the most appealing.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,657,337 times
Del Ray has lots of townhomes for rent and is a bit closer to Old Town bike and walkwise than huntington (due to 495 cutting right through). Tough to find for under 3000 though, if you could expand to just over you have better options for townhomes. Otherwise really for that range the best I have found is 2/2.5 condos though they have garage parking

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/61...20495966_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia