U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,140,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenga View Post
By the way don't even think about moving to the NoVa district. Bad idea. Your commute would be horrible. It's a great place, I actually built a hotel there, but driving back and forth would be very bad.
Whats the NoVa district, and which hotel? Are you a robot...

So confused. If anything Falls Church is the overlooked area in this region compared to higher priced Merrifield/McLean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 2,977 times
Living in Merrifield would be good. I'm just saying the traffic up to Tyson's Corner and Vienna is pretty bad. Everyone wants to live there. I'm not sure why.

I live in Crystal City which is actually 12 miles away from my office and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work. If I go to Tyson's Corner after work it takes me about 1 hour to get to the mall, which is only about 6 or 7 miles away. I wouldn't want to deal with the traffic. 495 is so backed up around that area.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Haha, no I am a PM for a construction company. I built the new Hampton Inn at Constitution Square in the NoVa District.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I live in Merrifield would be good. I'm just saying the traffic up to Tyson's Corner and Vienna is pretty bad.

I live in Crystal City which is actually 12 miles away from my office and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work. If I go to Tyson's Corner after work it takes me about 1 hour to get to the mall, which is only about 6 or 7 miles away. I wouldn't want to deal with the traffic. 495 is so backed up around that area.
.... but its not... I mean honestly, I am really confused cause that is the opposite direction from Traffic, when I worked in Westover and took 495 back to Tysons it flies at 50mph, its the other side that sucks in the afternoon, same thing in the morning (opposite commute). I do agree that traffic in Merrifield can be a bit of a chore, but he's gonna have to do that no matter what, and it should improve after this year when the mosaic district is completed. I am still confused where the NoVa district is though. Is this a thing in Merrifield? I've lived here for 30 years and have never heard it called that.

OHHHH Constitution square in NoMa, that's DC I doubt he's going there (I like that area though, up and coming).

Now getting on 495 is bad I'll give you that, but if you want to go to the mall from Merrifield, dont go towards 495, head north up prosperity/gallows. Most people are leaving Tysons in PM rush, so the other side of the road is a lot easier to deal with.

PS contact me if you are ever looking for a engineering firm in this area that doesn't overcharge like some of the bigger firms (with tons of overhead) and has several prestigious federal/District projects in our resume.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

416 posts, read 297,004 times
Merrifield would be a nice area to move to since it sounds like you will be working near there. The roads are under construction right now, but once it is done, it will be an even nicer area as there are more dining and entertainment options coming right after construction is complete. Your budget should get you something nice there as well. It is also not far from Fairfax City, Vienna and Falls Church City.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Tysonsengineer - I am still trying to figure it out myself. You are onto something with the reverse commute. That seems to be key. I've learned that living closer to DC is better for the commute, because of the reverse commute....but not IN DC. Then you have to deal with the limited access across the Potomac.

The perfect house is different for everyone......I am just starting to narrow down my search by trial and error. My house hunting trip was my first learning experience, but after I moved here I found so many cool places that I never would have found without getting lost or exploring. I would highly suggest getting lost and just driving around.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

416 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Tysonsengineer - I would highly suggest getting lost and just driving around.
Ha!! That is exactly what I tell people to do! It is what I did and it is a great way to learn an area.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Hahaha seriously it is a good technique I will admit.

I totally agree, everyone's dream location is different. I think if hes ok with a 45 minute commute, and he really wants that "wow" factor of a house, then there are better choices out in western and southern fairfax that probably are 5 bedroom, with 3 car garages and big backyards possibly with pools. If those are things he prefers over commute time, then definitely look at those; for instance;

Clifton
Beautiful Colonial

Ridiculously nice place

Springfield area
8432 Ambrose Ct, Springfield, VA 22153 MLS# fx7790946 - Zillow

And the list goes on. I would say, for 45 minute maximum (including bad traffic days) he's not going to want to go further south than Lorton, no further west than Sterling, and defintely stay on this side of the river (ie Virginia)

Great price range btw OP, usually we have to argue about the least worst place for 350,000 around this forum hahaha.

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM

3,839 posts, read 5,641,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp00 View Post
...5. We also have a 28' boat that we use on Puget Sound and I'll be sick to not have it there, but in reading online, it appears the Chesepeake is a great boating area. Anyone have advice on marina's and is it realistic with the drive back and forth?

Like Puget Sound, the Chesapeake Bay is a large salt water estuary....but with over four times the shoreline as Puget (11,600 miles). So yes, I think you'll like it. I've been out there all my life and keep my boat at my summer place on the Eastern Shore...that's 60 years and I ain't tired of it yet! LOL

It is very realistic to live in NOVA and boat on the Bay....especially if you stick to the Western Shore. The closest spot to NOVA is a town called Deale, MD...only about 20 minutes from the Beltway (Rt 4 exit). There's at least a half dozen nice marinas just in Deale (Rockhold Creek). Just a little south and you have North Beach, Chesapeake Beach, Fairhaven and others. Just a little north, you have Tracy's Landing, Galesville, West River, South River, and Annapolis.

You don't say if your vessel is power or sail or if you cruise, fish, etc but the Bay has all that in spades.

The Potomac River is great too (and closer)....about 100 miles of tidal water...a BIG river (over 12 miles wide in places)....but if you sail, I'd give the edge to the Bay. Ditto for fishing. But if you're into skiing or tubing, I'd go with the River....no sea nettles (jellyfish)!

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Like Puget Sound, the Chesapeake Bay is a large salt water estuary....but with over four times the shoreline as Puget (11,600 miles). So yes, I think you'll like it. I've been out there all my life and keep my boat at my summer place on the Eastern Shore...that's 60 years and I ain't tired of it yet! LOL

It is very realistic to live in NOVA and boat on the Bay....especially if you stick to the Western Shore. The closest spot to NOVA is a town called Deale, MD...only about 20 minutes from the Beltway (Rt 4 exit). There's at least a half dozen nice marinas just in Deale. Just a little south and you have North Beach, Chesapeake Beach, Fairhaven and others. Just a little north, you have Tracy's Landing, Galesville, West River, South River, and Annapolis.

You don't say if your vessel is power or sail or if you cruise, fish, etc but the Bay has all that in spades.

The Potomac River is great too (and closer)....about 100 miles of tidal water...a BIG river (over 12 miles wide in places)....but if you sail, I'd give the edge to the Bay. Ditto for fishing. But if you're into skiing or tubing, I'd go with the River....no sea nettles (jellyfish)!
Can you not dock at the marina in Occoquan at the bay off 123?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia