U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
 
16,438 posts, read 19,101,274 times
Reputation: 9518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Beside the point, but I like Colin Powell, and I'm a bleeding heart liberal.
So is he. I have no idea why he calls himself a Republican.

 
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,566,733 times
Reputation: 4501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So is he. I have no idea why he calls himself a Republican.
I have no idea why anyone abides by any party anymore. It's one thing to have your conservative/liberal/libertarian/green/progressive/etc. views, but to attach yourself to one of the parties.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
 
Location: At home
113 posts, read 194,623 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I would hope you would be even more upset if she were teaching lies. Teachers are paid to teach kids facts. The truth hurts.
You expressed the opinion of a douche bag. Just a fact, though, so you're not offended, right?
 
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,752,074 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
OP, if you are seeking a teaching environment where teachers do not espouse a political opinion, I highly recommend you homeschool. No matter where you live.
I've been a teacher.
And trust me, homeschooling is looking better and better every day.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,752,074 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I would hope you would be even more upset if she were teaching lies. Teachers are paid to teach kids facts. The truth hurts.
What a shame that you don't have sufficient education to discern fact from opinion. That is basic elementary-school stuff.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,317,824 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I've been a teacher.
And trust me, homeschooling is looking better and better every day.
Excellent! I have been a professor and have observed the limitations of both public and private education. I also have a personal stake in this as my kids are in elementary school. Therefore, I have done my best to address what I view as deficiencies.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times
Reputation: 6824
I would like to see a study done on it. My hypothesis is that Democrats are more intelligent on average than Republicans. However that was probably not the case prior to the Reagan era. The teacher should have prefaced her statement that it's a hypothesis unless she had empirical evidence to back it up. It's probably a more appropriate comment for a teacher at the high school level. I would also have said "less intelligent" than "stupid".
 
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 AM
 
2,612 posts, read 4,758,572 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I would like to see a study done on it. My hypothesis is that Democrats are more intelligent on average than Republicans. However that was probably not the case prior to the Reagan era. The teacher should have prefaced her statement that it's a hypothesis unless she had empirical evidence to back it up. It's probably a more appropriate comment for a teacher at the high school level. I would also have said "less intelligent" than "stupid".
There have been some studies that show that democrats are more educated. Most PhD's, for example, are democrats. However, I believe this teacher allegedly used the words "I think" and "stupid," both of which indicate she was expressing an opinion and not a fact (I believe I read somewhere that these phrases were identified in a slander suit as indicating that the person was expressing an opinion and therefore not committing slander). God, I'm so glad I don't teach in the schools anymore. One moment of poor judgement or a slip of the tongue and you're a newspaper scandal.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
(I believe I read somewhere that these phrases were identified in a slander suit as indicating that the person was expressing an opinion and therefore not committing slander). .
My business law professor told us if you're going to drag someone through the mud be sure to put an "In my opinion" in front of it.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,317,824 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
One moment of poor judgement or a slip of the tongue and you're a newspaper scandal.
Thankfully students are (mostly) required to have cell/smart phones stowed away during classtime during the school day. Could you imagine what it would be like if students were capturing video of their teachers, much like people capture video of politicians/candidates for public office?

I wonder how many Regular People have ever had a moment of poor judgement or a slip of the tongue at work/at home that they wouldn't want someone to be reporting on/recording for posterity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top