U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,271,042 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to "academic freedom"? When I was in school what was said in the classroom was supposed to stay in the classroom. That seems a sensible policy.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM

221 posts, read 241,510 times
Teaching kids to just believe whatever they hear and not do any research and thinking for themselves. I'm loving it! What should I have for lunch?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,271,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Teaching kids to just believe whatever they hear and not do any research and thinking for themselves. I'm loving it! What should I have for lunch?
Isn't that the problem with "rote learning", a very popular concept with conservatives? Religion also falls into that category.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM

1,759 posts, read 982,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Thankfully students are (mostly) required to have cell/smart phones stowed away during classtime during the school day. Could you imagine what it would be like if students were capturing video of their teachers, much like people capture video of politicians/candidates for public office?

I wonder how many Regular People have ever had a moment of poor judgement or a slip of the tongue at work/at home that they wouldn't want someone to be reporting on/recording for posterity.
We are talking about kids!
Liberals are just fine with calling religion "brainwashing," which is clearly the sentiment behind CAVA's post just above mine.
But religion is a family decision...if you are going to a church anyway, you are
clearly hearing the same ideas at home, good, bad, or indifferent.

(Incidentally, if Republicans made the assertion that they held the most PhD's,
Democrats would start whining about opportunity and inner-city kids and all that.
Just another double-standard they love to whip out.)

The liberal brainwashing that goes on in schools is appalling!
I've been a teacher and I knew better than to show my opinion on anything while in the midst of impressionable kids, for God's sake.

And the blanket concept of Republicans being less intelligent than Democrats is too stupid to even waste energy on.
Don't strain your muscles while you pat yourselves on the back.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,135,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
We are talking about kids!
Liberals are just fine with calling religion "brainwashing," which is clearly the sentiment behind CAVA's post just above mine.
But religion is a family decision...if you are going to a church anyway, you are
clearly hearing the same ideas at home, good, bad, or indifferent.

(Incidentally, if Republicans made the assertion that they held the most PhD's,
Democrats would start whining about opportunity and inner-city kids and all that.
Just another double-standard they love to whip out.)

The liberal brainwashing that goes on in schools is appalling!
I've been a teacher and I knew better than to show my opinion on anything while in the midst of impressionable kids, for God's sake.

And the blanket concept of Republicans being less intelligent than Democrats is too stupid to even waste energy on.
Don't strain your muscles while you pat yourselves on the back.
Let's recap. The teacher used poor judgment, the principal called her out on it, and the teacher apologized. A teachable moment about showing respect for differing political views.

Instead, you want to treat it as confirmation that FCPS indoctrinates students and Republicans are the most persecuted group in American society. Lighten up. I think it was a dumb comment, and what would really bother me about it is the idea that my kids were being taught with someone with such a simplistic perspective about politics and government. But 6th graders are not going to buy what a teacher has to say hook, line and sinker, or lose all respect for Republican Mom or Dad, just because Ms. Martin lets loose every now and then.

Last edited by JEB77; 04-07-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 3,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I would hope you would be even more upset if she were teaching lies. Teachers are paid to teach kids facts. The truth hurts.
And there's the crux of the problem. You think calling Republicans stupid is a "fact," but if she'd said "Democrats are stupid," you'd probably be blowing a gasket. All it takes is a little bit of fairness and impartiality to realize this was way out of line.

This teacher's salary comes from taxpaying Democrats and Republicans alike. It was an ignorant statement to make, and it's no more acceptable than if she'd smeared a religion, sexual orientation, or whatever. Shame on anyone who tries to justify it just because it agrees with your political views.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,405,986 times
The thing that seems odd to me in this story is a teacher using the word "stupid" to describe anyone. It doesn't seem like a word a teacher would use.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM

9,365 posts, read 15,805,601 times
Thread closed for review as the discussion continually crosses into politics not exclusive to NOVA. Such discussions are for the politics forum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia